To be a tad creeped out by the new Ikea advert?

(51 Posts)
TheCunnyFunt Wed 07-Aug-13 19:55:09

It's just really freaky and weird. The one with the dolls. I would post a link to it but my phone won't connect to Youtube hmm

MistressDeeCee Fri 09-Aug-13 03:28:07

I have a love/hate relationship with this advert. I still love dolls/dolls houses (at my big age!). But its the doll doing the tour, I dont like the way her face moves into different expressions. Especially the 'eyebrow raised' one. she's creepy. In fact I dont like the look & idea of lifesized dolls walking around either. Weird advert..and yet...I am compelled to watch it.. Ok its growing on me..I think.

notso what about the cats one? All those cats wandering through the store and sitting on Klippern sofas or whatever to lovely music. I can't tell you how many times I watched that on youtube. In fact I'm off to watch it again.

Littleen Fri 09-Aug-13 00:22:09

it's daim cake btw. sorry, but spelling it dime is just one of those things that really ticks me off :P haha.

I've watched it again and I love it. I love the mother/son relationship. I love the way the football t.shirt unvelcros at the back like a real doll's would. I love the way the mum is all 'dolled up' when she goes out for the night.

But I especially love the bit where they play table tennis with books as the net, as we did that on holiday once... exactly the same... and it was hilarious.

The more I watch it the less freaky them seem. In fact I think I'd better stop watching now as I'm getting a bit obsessed!

BeCool Thu 08-Aug-13 14:43:44

I think it's great -and as someone who lives in a small space with DC it's very inspiring.

There are a few tricks I missed - need to watch it on YouTube again.

Then again the "doll" doing the tour is a bit OTT

softlysoftly Thu 08-Aug-13 14:40:27

I suppose Diddi but I just don't like it start to finish, its the dolls they are making me hate the whole thing, but then I have terrible memories of my mothers china dolls mixed with teenage explorations of LSD <<shudder>>

softlysoftly Thu 08-Aug-13 14:38:51

Too true Mandy, and that all single mothers go out and get pissed and have their DCs curing their hangovers.

Oh and own Staffys.

Oh and have lots of pretty shoes paid for with all that benefit money.

And isn't seen to go out to work.

<<think I may have taken this too far>>

diddl Thu 08-Aug-13 14:36:50

Gut the mother/son relationship is only what the girl playing with the dolls makes it!

Mandy2003 Thu 08-Aug-13 14:33:57

I think its creepy as well because it fits in so well with what the Government would like: any single parent with children to be forced to live in a single room if they need housing benefit!

DS3(3yrs)is terrified of it. His eyes go wide and almost pop out of his head then his limbs go stiff before he starts screaming for us to turn it off.
We have gotten v good at switching it over as soon as it starts.... dd1 grabs remote the second adds starts in readyness of the big switch over!!
DS is also scared of the chesington add (with the computerised guy who looks real). Its the smiles that makes ds scared.

A friend of ours said its something to do with our brains finding it difficult to process something that it thinks is real but isnt, so life like dolls/realy good computer graphics can trick our brain which in turn can freak us out. Where as a cartoon person is fine as our brains can see it isnt real so therefor prosesses it that way and tells us its ok.

HomeHelpMeGawd Thu 08-Aug-13 13:46:25

I think it's a positive (and sadly rare) representation of lone parenting in adverts and very very commendable for that reason.

notso Thu 08-Aug-13 13:39:35

I like it although I preferred the 'you will always find me in the kitchen at parties' one. DD and I still do the walk from that!

Also the chuck out the chintz one, I am always compelled to sing it in the Cath Kidston shop to DH's amusement grin

Realise I look like some sort of Ikea Anorak now so am going to retreat from the thread and drool over my trofast collection because it is true

Fakebook Thu 08-Aug-13 13:28:02

I saw it with my dd, who pointed it out to me. We were mesmerised by its weirdness. But then we were mesmerised by the gnome advert too. I like them.

oldgrandmama Thu 08-Aug-13 13:26:17

Reminded me of that 'Chucky' film (can't remember title). Horrible commercial. So is the 'Marmite' one, a sort of utterly tasteless spoof on the rescue of abused animals.

RegTheMonkey Thu 08-Aug-13 13:23:16

I like the song very much, but the dolls don't creep me out. It's not as scary as ... sharp intake of breath ... The Judderman!!!

gazzalw Thu 08-Aug-13 13:06:51

I think maybe it's supposed to be different to attract one's attention.

I think they look a bit like 'blow-up' dolls which I'm sure isn't the intended idea....hmm.

Agree they are rather creepy though...

i hate it too. very creepy!

hated the gnome one... it made me sad

softlysoftly Thu 08-Aug-13 12:57:15

diddi made it worse!

And is it just me that finds the mother/son relationship a bit intense and creepy?

Interesting link Madkittens but really shouldn't have then googled bunraku puppets!

Oh I quite liked it but at the same time... I didn't. How odd!

LadyBeagleEyes Thu 08-Aug-13 12:38:30

Creepy and they all look like zombies.

Gruntfuttock Thu 08-Aug-13 12:34:49

I hadn't seen it until I clicked on the link above, but I quite like it. Certainly not at all creepy IMO.

madkittens Thu 08-Aug-13 12:09:33

and this is the hypothesis as to why we are creeped out by this Ikea ad

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

HappilyChatterly Thu 08-Aug-13 11:56:04

I loved the gnome one, it really made me laugh and the doll one is sweet!

Its better than the Gnome one, that one upset me. I dont find this one creepy tbh, but do I need a special hook thing for my skateboard, thats the question!

diddl Thu 08-Aug-13 11:44:38

I think if you see this version, it's not creepy at all-it's obvs a girl playing with dolls/house.

(Scroll down a bit for vid)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now