Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to hate grafitti?

(24 Posts)
Mintyy Wed 07-Aug-13 19:40:30

Like, really hate it. Hate it in the same way I hate litter and dog poo on the pavements.

How can people defend it or feel neutral about it?

skyflyer Wed 07-Aug-13 19:47:43

Depends if the graffiti is art or just those awful tags. I like the art type but hate tags.

Mintyy Wed 07-Aug-13 19:49:02

Not a great fan of graffiti as art either, tbh.

But the tags make me truly deeply unhappy.

Think I am just old innit.

MiaowTheCat Wed 07-Aug-13 20:07:32

I quite like the art work stuff... stuff like "Shaz woz 'ere 2k13" can fuck right off though.

Badly spelt graffiti is in a whole other realm of loathing - I did fight the urge to get a red marker pen and start correcting the spelling on the local bus stop at one point.

doorbellringer Wed 07-Aug-13 21:21:12

I'm with you I absolutely loathe it. Who do they think they are spraying anything on anyone's property. "They are expressing themselves?" Fuck right of and buy a notebook and crayons you little cretin. It is not art and I'd make them scrub it back off with their own toothbrush and soapy water. Then shove the spray can up their arses just so they remember!
As you can tell it brings out the Chuck Norris rage in me!

zatyaballerina Wed 07-Aug-13 21:33:31

yanbu, it's ugly and tacky.

ginhag Wed 07-Aug-13 21:35:01

you obviously don't live in Brizzle

Seriously, Nelson Street was TRANSFORMED by that project. And there is a lot of amazing street art all over the city, it is a part of Bristol. Yes some graffiti is shite, but some isn't!

McNewPants2013 Wed 07-Aug-13 21:36:44

http://www.thedirtfloor.com/2010/10/13/downtown-los-angeles-graffiti-wall/

That is art.

I dislike Ben woz ere 2k13

McNewPants2013 Wed 07-Aug-13 21:36:59
Mintyy Wed 07-Aug-13 22:09:24

I mean stuff like this

Just come back from Lisbon which is just the most beautiful city. Decaying in parts, scruffy sometimes, yes, but also utterly blighted by grafitti absolutely everywhere. It reminds me of New York pre-Giuliani.

merrymonsters Wed 07-Aug-13 22:20:30

I hate it too. I've never been to Lisbon, but Naples is a once beautiful city covered in graffiti (except the huge cathedral strangely). Even the museums are covered in it. It makes everything look ugly.

Sirzy Wed 07-Aug-13 22:22:33

Yanbu - I don't care who loves who, or who was in a subway in 2013.

Local schools a few years ago (with permission) painted a load of the subways to try to stop the graffiti. Doesn't seem to have made a difference now they graffiti over the fab pictures sad

Mintyy Wed 07-Aug-13 22:30:24

Where do you live Sirzy?

My recent experience has made me realise that London is remarkably grafitti-free.

Bumblequeen Wed 07-Aug-13 22:43:50

I too hate graffiti. It makes an area look rough.

The people youth that do this are totally inconsiderate. There is no regard for anyone.

We have graffiti issues in my town. It is so disheartening to see.

I hate tagging. But there is a spectrum of urban art from tagging to this kind of thing that very good graffiti fits into. It can be beautiful, humourous and enlightening. Tagging is basically 'I woz 'ere'.

I honestly think this is genius.

Lioninthesun Wed 07-Aug-13 22:56:20

I hated it until I went to Australia and saw what it can do to enhance fugly things like electrical boxes by the side of the road. In Brisbane they got together the real artists and asked them to make over all of the dull bits like the boxes. Apparently because they are respected on the street they don't get tags or defaced often. I also went to a street painting in Melbourne when my friend opened a board shop - it was really amazing watching them transform a whole wall along an alleyway as a constantly changing work of art. I have always thought if it is done right it can be appreciated, but art is never to everyone's taste.

TabithaStephens Wed 07-Aug-13 22:57:37

I hate it. It looks scruffy and ugly. I don't think it is art at all.

oohaveabanana Wed 07-Aug-13 22:59:31

My kids sat on the train yesterday discussing Good Grafitti (clever, beautiful or has A Meaning others can enjoy) and Bad Graffiti (scrawled words; anything written on tree). I have indoctrinated them well smile

hamab Wed 07-Aug-13 23:34:36

I hate it. Maybe because someone once painted a giant penis outside our front door on the communal path and we were constantly scrubbing it off our garage door at one house.

It contributed to my depression at the time.

The thing is, unless their doing it on their own property, it causes someone a great deal of expense and time to remove it.

quoteunquote Thu 08-Aug-13 00:23:26
PareyMortas Thu 08-Aug-13 00:28:11

Love that MrsTP.

Like most things in life there's shit graffiti, wonderful graffiti and fifty shades in between. YABU and blinkered to write off all of it.

Saffyz Thu 08-Aug-13 00:54:12

YANBU. I don't like "good" graffiti either. The people who pretend to like so-called "street art" often aren't the ones who have to live next to it.

Saffyz I'm originally from Croydon. I have lived beside a LOT of graffiti.

Sparklymommy Thu 08-Aug-13 07:13:33

My 10 year old dd is appalled by graffiti and on a 1 girl crusade to sort it out! Her big idea to have a designated area (ie the skate park) for the vandals/artists to do their worst which is painted clean white once a week/month however often is necessary!

She was most disheartened when I pointed out that although this was a great idea it wouldn't work because the vandals would still tag just about anywhere. She thinks its the epitome of naughtiness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now