To be upset that I've been told by relative we've spelt DD's middle name wrong!

(162 Posts)
lazzaroo Wed 07-Aug-13 19:00:01

so, we got a card from this relative at the weekend as it was a special occasion. Which was nice of her. In the card was a letter, 'that's nice' I thought. But the sole purpose of the note was to say we'd spelt DD's middle name wrong. We gave her 2 middle names, after nan's on both sides. 2 nan's had the same name, but she wanted to point out that her mum did not spell it how we have. She did it in a 'hope you don't mind me noting but....' way which really pissed me off.

We tried to do a nice thing by including both nan's and spelt it how we liked it (the normal way, we didn't do some random modern twist!). I just don't get the point of her saying anything. What does she expect us to do?! why say anything?!

I know I just have to ignore it but can anyone explain to me what her thinking was?!

Beer0Clock Thu 08-Aug-13 15:47:43

be glad it's not her first name! when I named my dd, one thing I liked about the name was that the spelling was easy, obvious I thought. Well, all adults who are called this spell it the old way but apparently this new way of spelling it is more common now confused so a lot of people spell her name this new way. As I see it, it's new. New but more correct. Ah well.

I do know a woman who called her son Tadgh which baffles me. Now that is wrong! But I won't send her a note! I'm sure she must have her reasons for switching the g and the h around.

motherinferior Thu 08-Aug-13 15:48:24

Both my parents insisted I'd spelled DD1's middle name wrong (it is Ayesha - they say it should be spelt Aisha).

Which pales into insignificance when you realise that my mother tried to give my sister's DS2 an extra middle name. She rang up and said she wanted to give him the 'gift' of a name.

Ezio Thu 08-Aug-13 15:57:08

Mother, your Mother is bonkers, gift of a name, how did she think that would work.

motherinferior Thu 08-Aug-13 16:17:45

She appeared to think Dsis would just add it to her son's names. I think she was probably huffy that this one of her four grandchildren (a) didn't have an Asian name (my mother is Indian, and DP's dad was also from Bangladesh) (b) had the middle name of a different grandparent.

My sister blearily said "yeah, whatever" and then put the phone down and thought "WTF was that??^

LynetteScavo Thu 08-Aug-13 16:33:28

She rang up and said she wanted to give him the 'gift' of a name.

Hahahahaha! I'm going to try that one when I become a grandparent! grin

Footface Thu 08-Aug-13 17:10:02

Op yanbu, your relative really should have keep quiet and said nothing,

You choose to name your dd after family members, you can spelt it how you like. It still sounds the same

SarahAndFuck Thu 08-Aug-13 17:10:05

The gift of a name grin

It's a bit like the bad fairy in Sleeping Beauty.

First fairy: I give you beauty.

Second fairy: I give you health.

Grandma: I give you a better name than the names your parents gave you, I mean, what were they thinking calling you X name!?

motherinferior Thu 08-Aug-13 17:26:39

I am so relieved other people think it was bonkers too.

If anyone wants the gift of a name, I have plenty available, just ask.

Do you think I could set up a business selling names to the indecisive?

curlew Fri 09-Aug-13 11:22:10

I think the gift of a name" thing is rather sweet. blush<goes to sit in bonkers corner!

youarewinning Fri 09-Aug-13 11:25:50

Oh Lillian is a lovely name.

The rest, meh, if you'd have used 1 l you'd have spelt the other nans name wrong grin

You can't win. Lilian would have disappointed one side, Lillian the other, and Lilyanne half the population would be telling you you'd made it up!

Your daughter has a beautiful name, for a lovely reason.

If the aunt is generally nice, and you're on good terms, I'd write back "Thanks for the note. We knew the nan's spelled their names differently, and so we chose the most popular spelling for the sake of DD. It honours both nan's and we love it."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now