To tell my HV I will NOT restrict DS's food intake

(129 Posts)
thefuturesnotourstosee Wed 07-Aug-13 17:05:14

we've just come home from DS's one year HV check. DS has alwiays been a big baby and today he measured the 99th centile for both weight and height.

HV told me he was overweight and I should restrict his food intake. I told her I wanted to talk to the GP about this as I disagreed with her and she told me "he should be no higher than the 80th centile, you're clearly overfeeding him its obvious you don't need the doctor to tell you that".

I politely told her Id seek a second opinion scooped up DS and walked out.

Had his weight and height been substantially out of proportion I may have engaged but I don't think there's a problem. AIBU?

Jenny70 Tue 13-Aug-13 10:31:26

I agree that HV isn't understanding the curves. But can also see that having a child at the top of the centiles isn't necessarily healthy.

Perhaps a middle approach? Be more aware of how many desserts and fatty foods he gets, but don't limit his intake of healthy foods.

Featherbag Tue 13-Aug-13 10:23:17

Oh, and no walking here til about 16 months - and should've said DS is now 22 months!

Featherbag Tue 13-Aug-13 10:21:41

Ignore, and feel free to pm me if you want support or to have a general bitch about crazy HVs and lovely squidgy fat babies! My DS was similar height/weight at the same age, he's now 39lbs and about 90cms, or 2' 9". My crazy HV made me take him to a dietitian and implied if I didn't I'd be marked as uncooperative and overfeeding him. The dietitian agreed the HV is crazy and that DS has a fantastic diet, discharged him and I now avoid the crazy HV like the plague - I was gutted when I found out she'd been informed about my second pregnancy already!

BoffinMum Tue 13-Aug-13 00:04:13

I am another one who thinks 99% height should roughly equal 99% of weight, more or less.

Avoid HVs in future. Most of them speak utter rubbish IME.

TheBleedinObvious Mon 12-Aug-13 23:42:36

I would be after a second (or third) opinion for sure.

Also (and I'm not saying this necessarily applies to the op) sometimes parents are most certainly not the best judge of whether their child is a healthy weight or if weight/height is proportionate. Frog in the hot water syndrome. Which also applies to many aspects of child development (speech development, dietary habits, motor skills etc) which is why we have routine developmental checks. Although one professional opinion which doesn't seem right should be taken with a grain of salt until another opinion has been sought.

I know one mother who was shocked at hearing her son was overweight/obese as she had been providing a very healthy diet. What she did not understand was that although bananas are healthy a 5 year old should not be eating 5 bananas a day. He was just having too much food altogether.

KatOD Mon 12-Aug-13 23:20:53

Nope understand statistics quite well thanks, 3 degrees in physics will do that.

Idocrazythings Sun 11-Aug-13 13:12:04

Oops "advice"

Idocrazythings Sun 11-Aug-13 13:11:33

I would complain about her "advise" to who ever you complain to. It sounds very odd and dangerous. At one babies are still self regulating their diet and know exactly how much they need to eat. My BIL was a very chubby baby, then had a couple of nasty chest infections thrown in with some asthma and quickly became a skinny baby!

Stupid woman. No wonder health professionals get a bad name when there are people like that out there.

MrsMook Sun 11-Aug-13 12:53:56

I tended to avoid the HVs. DS1 has food allergies with a significant effect on the basic foods he can eat and he is under the 25th centiles, but fairly proportionate. He was born on the 75th. He gets checked at the dieticians and they are happy with him, but they set more value on the way he looks for proportions, and general health than their measurements. He eats heartily and is very active, so I doubt there is anything of use the HVs can tell me in that department. It might be the allergies having an effect or just my petite genes.

You can tell when a small child is proportionate, and if they're not, early changes like getting mobile make a big difference between 6m-2y.

OhMowGod Sun 11-Aug-13 12:18:31

OP I deliberately cancelled our 1 year check for this exact reason. He too was 28lb. He was on the 95th centile for height.

He too was breastfed, but his diet was already hugely restricted because of health issues so he was that lovely chubby weight because of my milk which was fine by me.

He is 2 now and he is 30lb. Just 2lb gain in a year which is still absolutely fine, my eldest did the same went from super duper fat to walking and slimming right down and growing upwards.

JerseySpud Sun 11-Aug-13 12:13:55

He's the same size as my 2 year old dd

So is my friends son who is 12 months. Her eldest son is the same ages as my eldest DD and has just had a massive growth spurt and slimmed out.

alreadytaken Sun 11-Aug-13 12:04:16

KatOD flowers

UnevenTan You misunderstand statistics. The OP has a child who has always been big, suggesting a genetic tendency to be taller. That does not mean they will be obese. The tendency you refer to is a result of earlier development and does not persist into adulthood. You might also like to read Oxford's crtitique of BMI and height here http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/science_blog/130116.html especially the reference to babies being spheres and the accepted BMI measurement being inappropriate.

More to the point - you are diluting the message which should be heavily focused on food restriction is hardly ever recommended for children. Dietary changes and increased exercise, not food restriction, would be suggested for obese children and only after a proper assessment. A health visitor suggesting food restriction on the basis of a weight percentile needs retraining.

MamaChubbyLegs Fri 09-Aug-13 09:29:08

I was 28lb at my 1 year check. I'm not sure if I was as tall as your DS, but by the time I was 6, I was so skinny that the dinner ladies at school had to monitor my eating. I stayed tall and skinny until 11 when I stopped growing up and got wide instead, but that was more to do with McDonalds and curry than what I was fed 11 years prior.

My DS (5 months) currently off the scale for height but on the 75th centile (I think?) for weight. He is tall and skinny. I hope he catches up with his weight. He's ribby! If my HV tells me to restrict his diet, I shall be laughing my way out of the childrens centre and merrily ignoring her!

MiaowTheCat Fri 09-Aug-13 09:08:56

goodasitgets DH is very very tall - but his parents are lower end of average height - it just throws back to somewhere else in the genes (they think he has an uncle who is well over the 6 foot mark he got it from).

Both my DD seem to have been utterly unaffected in the height department by their prematurity too - they were both long enough for people to comment on it when they were born (poor DD1 had such big feet she looked like she was wearing clown shoes!)

LongTailedTit Fri 09-Aug-13 01:04:44

DS was 9th centile for both height and weight at his 2yr check a few months ago - I had a 'student' HV and she was fab, the first HV ever to point out that it meant he was in perfect proportion!

He was a little early (36wks) and 5lb5oz, about 1/3rd Asian, and not a reliably good eater - all of these factors make it likely for him to be a bit smaller, but all previous HVs have put the frighteners on and made me feel like he was too small, when he's just the right size for him.
DH is tall, my family are all tall (I'm the family shrimp at 5'7"), so DS is likely to shoot up in his teens, but for now he's slim and petite.

My sister's kids were all 97th centile, they are all the tallest in their classes at school, some kids are just happen to be scaled up!

goodasitgets Fri 09-Aug-13 00:59:48

I was prem but incredibly long (skinned rat as my dad said) grin
First they said I would have restricted growth and be petite
Then they actually talked about it being a problem as predicted height? Being 6'5
I evened out but was tallest in the school for most years and stopped at 5'11
It's like horses! We have one that has two enormous parents and so far looks like a child's pony. No good for my long legs, he must be some genetic throwback grin

ICBINEG Fri 09-Aug-13 00:15:43

Restricting / controlling babies/toddlers food intake is correlated with higher rates of obesity...so even if your baby was 'too heavy' which he isn't then you would only make things worse by restricting...

ICBINEG Fri 09-Aug-13 00:14:22

fab post katOD

No2 son has always been solid and weighs far more than he looks - he went for one check with a new health visitor who measured and then weighed him and then scratched her head, weighed him again and then checked the scales and then weighed him again - you could almost hear her muttering under her breath saying "ffs why are you so fuckin heavy when you look normal" grin

They don't know everything and as was said, if he is eating a healthy diet, why would you restrict food from a baby??

Aren't babies a lot like cats in that they don't tend to eat more than they need?

KatOD Thu 08-Aug-13 22:56:03

Ignore her, clearly an innumerate idiot. My friend and I got so much hassle about our kids (her DS has been consistently small.. as are her and her DH and my DD has been consistently around 98-99th and DH and I are tall and broad) that we used to go to check ups together to see what new "mathematical" tosh they'd churn out to tell us we were doing something wrong. (Whilst our clearly healthy kids ran around playing with each other).

Just as there's a distribution of normal children's build, there's a distribution of normal HV's capability and it sounds like you and I managed to get ones around the 0.25th percentile.

BeesGoBuzzzzzz Thu 08-Aug-13 22:32:22

HV needs some training. Scary really.

The charts are not that old. The quote below comes from the NHS website.

"Since May 2009, the centile charts in your PCHR or red book have been based on measurements taken by the World Health Organization from healthy, breastfed children with non-smoking parents from a range of countries."

UnevenTan Thu 08-Aug-13 21:03:17

Alreadytaken -nope, you are wrong. Overweight/obese children do grow taller than their peers. Search the academic literature and you will see it is well documented.

SmallFarAway Thu 08-Aug-13 20:51:00

My DD has been around 99th centile for height and weight since she was about 3 months old (was around 75th centile at birth). At her 12 month check the HV said she was big for her age but made no other comment.

thefuturesnotourstosee Thu 08-Aug-13 20:47:27

You're not a HV are you suckatrelationships grin

I've just looked at DD's red book. She is now a slim tall 7 year old. At age 1 she was on 99th centile for height and weight. DP is over 6ft and I'm 5ft 7 so I suppose genetics have a lot to answer for

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now