Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To tell my HV I will NOT restrict DS's food intake

(129 Posts)
thefuturesnotourstosee Wed 07-Aug-13 17:05:14

we've just come home from DS's one year HV check. DS has alwiays been a big baby and today he measured the 99th centile for both weight and height.

HV told me he was overweight and I should restrict his food intake. I told her I wanted to talk to the GP about this as I disagreed with her and she told me "he should be no higher than the 80th centile, you're clearly overfeeding him its obvious you don't need the doctor to tell you that".

I politely told her Id seek a second opinion scooped up DS and walked out.

Had his weight and height been substantially out of proportion I may have engaged but I don't think there's a problem. AIBU?

BoffinMum Tue 13-Aug-13 00:04:13

I am another one who thinks 99% height should roughly equal 99% of weight, more or less.

Avoid HVs in future. Most of them speak utter rubbish IME.

Featherbag Tue 13-Aug-13 10:21:41

Ignore, and feel free to pm me if you want support or to have a general bitch about crazy HVs and lovely squidgy fat babies! My DS was similar height/weight at the same age, he's now 39lbs and about 90cms, or 2' 9". My crazy HV made me take him to a dietitian and implied if I didn't I'd be marked as uncooperative and overfeeding him. The dietitian agreed the HV is crazy and that DS has a fantastic diet, discharged him and I now avoid the crazy HV like the plague - I was gutted when I found out she'd been informed about my second pregnancy already!

Featherbag Tue 13-Aug-13 10:23:17

Oh, and no walking here til about 16 months - and should've said DS is now 22 months!

Jenny70 Tue 13-Aug-13 10:31:26

I agree that HV isn't understanding the curves. But can also see that having a child at the top of the centiles isn't necessarily healthy.

Perhaps a middle approach? Be more aware of how many desserts and fatty foods he gets, but don't limit his intake of healthy foods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now