Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to have called a woman in TK Maxx an "effing idiot" for this...

(194 Posts)
dontsqueezetheteabag Wed 07-Aug-13 12:46:49

she had her child in one of those shopping baskets that have wheels and a pull up handle. Child must have been about 12 months old. Woman turned round to look at something on the shelf and let go of the handle on the basket. Child stood up in the basket and it tipped backwards. The poor child fell with it banging the side of her little head on the tiled floor.

I was TRUELY appaulled by this and muttered "fucking idiot".

Why the HELL would you let your child stand in one of those baskets???!!!!

honeytea Fri 09-Aug-13 08:15:32

"Or just dont do bloody stupid things with him"

I keep my child as safe as I possibly can if he is at risk of injury or death. If somehow ds managed to fall out of the basket the worst that would happen is he would bump his head. Ds has just started pulling himself up on the furniture and he often falls over, I posted a thread the other day asking if I should get him a soft padded helmet to protect his little head and everyone who replied said oh no it's not a long way to fall, babies bump their head all the time, don't be so precious, I am confident that ds wont fall out of the basket but if he didhe wouldn't get any more hurt than if he fell over whilst holding onto the coffee table.

I have been involved in a pram tipping incident ( my little sister was 18 months old and I was 18) she wiggled her way out of the straps whilst I was paying for shopping and she clI'm
ed up the back of the pram, I didn't see as I was paying, the whole thing tipped over, she landed on the floor with a bump, she was ok but it was a horrible experience for both of of. Because of that we have a parent facing pram so I can see ds at all times and I tighten his straps every time I put him in the pram.

FrussoHathor Thu 08-Aug-13 23:45:01

I need one of those youthecat dd2 lulls people into a false sense of security by sitting nicely, until you hit a road where you can't stop and appearing in the seat next to you.

PeriodMath Thu 08-Aug-13 23:31:08

mskane, it's not the judging that bothers me - it's the foul aggressive language towards a stranger.

Bogeyface Thu 08-Aug-13 23:30:29

Maybe I should keep ds safely wrapped in cotton wool at home.

Or just dont do bloody stupid things with him.

mynameismskane Thu 08-Aug-13 23:09:59

Welcome to mumsnet op! Yep, putting the child in a basket like that was pretty stupid.

But whoa, don't come on here flaming people for that, or for the following
Using formula
Smoking whilst pregnant
Drugs whilst pregnant
Smoking over a pram
Giving coca cola to a baby/toddler
Etc...

If you judgey these it will be YOU who gets flamed! And that's how mumsnet rolls...!

Parmarella Thu 08-Aug-13 23:01:18

Op not coming out looking well...

Poor Sis once had pram not come through at airport and had to walk with handluggage, toddler and baby to passport control. She ended up putting baby on luggage trolley but he fell out and had a cut and was bleeding.

The thing that shocked her most, apart from her own moment of stupidity was that NOBODY helped her, though some people tutted.

Tutters and people like OP are dreadfully devoid of human compassion IMO

PeriodMath Thu 08-Aug-13 22:55:20

YABU to have sworn at a stranger. Shame your instinct wasn't to help the child rather than verbally abuse the mother.

YouTheCat Thu 08-Aug-13 22:50:41

I totally understand that kind of thing, Frusso. They have a special seat belt for ds when he goes out on the minibus these days. It can only be released by a device (that ds doesn't have).

ravenAK Thu 08-Aug-13 22:43:24

She certainly was a fucking idiot.

Was the situation helped by you calling her one?

Possibly not.

Most parents have done something fucking idiotic at some point. Goes with the territory.

FrussoHathor Thu 08-Aug-13 22:35:37

Dd1 could get out of her buggy at 1. Wriggling rather than undoing. But she could walk so switched to wrist strap.

dd2 has hypermobility and SNs and can get out of anything, including buggys, reins, Houdini seatbelt clasps, a 7 point harness, double locked doors shes a runner in seconds when she wants to. (Except locked houses, that takes a minute or two, --the time it takes to go for a wee--)

YouTheCat Thu 08-Aug-13 21:21:53

I did have. Ds decided against the double buggy at 2.5 and would just undo the straps. But I'd assume a baby wouldn't be able to do that.

After the buggy was rendered useless, I invested in reins (and I don't care how un pc reins are considered, they kept him safe).

FrussoHathor Thu 08-Aug-13 21:18:39

Presumably youthecat you don't have double jointed Houdini children? Multiple straps cant hold them.

YouTheCat Thu 08-Aug-13 20:16:37

Surely a baby/child in a buggy would be strapped in?

BrianTheMole Thu 08-Aug-13 20:05:45

We had a shopping basket left behind in a holiday apartment we stayed at. The kids had a whale of a time pushing each other up and down in it.

FrussoHathor Thu 08-Aug-13 20:01:01

What happens if DC has hurt themself falling out of a buggy but not fallen out of a trolley. Does that not make the trolley safer to sit them in.

honeytea Thu 08-Aug-13 19:58:43

If my baby got hurt falling out of a basket it would be my fault, if my baby got hurt falling out of a pram or being involved in a pram tipping incident it would be my fault.

Maybe I should keep ds safely wrapped in cotton wool at home.

Bogeyface Thu 08-Aug-13 19:47:42

It comes down to the fact that baskets are for putting shopping in and prams are for putting babies in. Call me old fashioned but I prefer to use things for their intended purpose. I daresay it wont be your fault if your baby gets hurt.......

FrussoHathor Thu 08-Aug-13 19:40:16

What sort of person goes through life tutting about 'accidents waiting to happen'.
Someone who was born to be a health and safety officer. grin

WhiteandGreen Thu 08-Aug-13 19:38:52

What sort of person goes through life tutting about 'accidents waiting to happen'.

honeytea Thu 08-Aug-13 19:19:24

I am an overly cautious mum and I just can't see how ds would get hurt sitting in a basket. The ones at our local shop are very tall so you just see eyes peeping out over the top, I hold onto it the entire time.

There are lots of things I think are dangerous like going in the car, I make every effort to keep ds safe in actually dangerous situations but sitting in a ground level basket is not in my opinion dangerous.

I live in a country where children are kept rear facing in car seats till the age of 4/5 but they are pulled around in sledges without straps holding the in from being babies(which I imagine is a similar risk level if not more dangerous than being pulled around a shop in a basket) I have never ever heard of a child being seriously injured ( or injured at all) falling from a sledge.

Bogeyface Thu 08-Aug-13 18:56:32

At 7 months that is even more ridiculous and dangerous! Have you not heard of prams?

I can understand someone giving in to a whinging toddler for a quiet life and not thinking through the consequences but a 7 month old?! Hardly pester power!

But hey, as long as its "cute" hmm

Thepowerof3 Thu 08-Aug-13 18:39:08

Touché honeytea! You just made me snort. My buggy was overweighted and tipped backwards recently DS was unscathed so that's all I'm bothered about

zippey Thu 08-Aug-13 17:58:45

I may have done this as well, but can't remember. Never had any serious injuries. Toddlers injure themselves all the times, part of learning and growing up. I also think its quite sweet and funny if I see people in the shops doing this. I probably do other things that people wouldn't approve ie chase toddler round shop ailes etc.

I think you were being unreasonable to be judgy.

poppingin1 Thu 08-Aug-13 15:07:49

Well I dropped DD once when she was 6 months old. Its was actually like when you fumble a ball and try to keep a hold of it and it keeps bouncing out of your hands.

I was very distraught but my friends just told me not to worry about it. Luckily she fell on a nice thick rug. I should have seen it as a sign of things to come though.

Nowhere near as funny as PrettyKitty's story though.

honeytea Thu 08-Aug-13 09:30:14

Bogey my child is 7 months old so doesn't wear shoes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now