to ask if you agree that we "should not be sending aid to bongo bongo land"

(218 Posts)
ICBINEG Wed 07-Aug-13 09:22:44

Aside the ridiculous racist overtones of the statement itself....if you can...

The adorable MEP on radio 4 this morning was suggesting that it is inappropriate to be sending aid abroad when we are cutting police, hospitals and the defence back home.

The interviewer pointed out the last aid dispatched was 50 million to help with a polio outbreak in the Sudan area.

The MEP basically said if people want to give to charity they can, the government shouldn't and I think the majority of your listeners agree.

So please answer if you will:

1. Did you hear the interview?
2. Do you agree that we should stop sending foreign aid?
3. Can you believe he said bongo bongo? In 2013???

teacherandguideleader Wed 07-Aug-13 09:38:53

I didn't hear the interview but do think we should stop some of the foreign aid. I deal with so many children in this country who are living in severe poverty and I believe we should sort this out and improve the life chances of our own young people. I appreciate that the need of those abroad may be greater and they are experiencing far greater poverty, but all the time children are being abused and neglected in the UK, I believe the money should be spent helping them.

I didn't get the whole uproar about Bongo Bongo as I had no idea what it was, but if it is racist and he is UKIP I'm not surprised.

Kirk1 Wed 07-Aug-13 09:39:10

1 Yes, but while I was still pre-awake. I thought I'd dreamed it.
2 Yes, we shouldn't support imaginary places with real money. Enough of that goes on on Facebook... Seriously, I can kind of see his point. I think he's wrong though.
3 See 1. I call UKIP BNP lite and DH argues with me. The UKIP members though, keep making these outrageous statements and proving me right.

MerryMarigold Wed 07-Aug-13 09:39:34

I also hope he reveals his charity spend (as % of his salary) if he thinks this is the way forward. Lead by example and all that.

ICBINEG Wed 07-Aug-13 09:40:18

yes I think I should stop listening too...although the blood pressure spike is usually enough to boost me out of bed...

MerryMarigold Wed 07-Aug-13 09:42:03

I think UKIP have in the past been quite careful to present themselves as a million miles from BNP. But BNP Lite/ Semi skimmed BNP does sum them up!

ICBINEG Wed 07-Aug-13 09:43:20

okay so I am currently at 20% of listeners agree (kirk I think your comment means you disagree with stopping foreign aid)

obviously there are valid concerns about destinations, audit trails etc. but the MEP's point was that we shouldn't spend money abroad when we could spend it at home.

That is what he thinks the majority of radio 4 listeners agree with.

MerryMarigold Wed 07-Aug-13 09:43:35

ICBINEG, I have a 7 yr old and 4yr old twins so I don't need a blood pressure spike to get me out of bed! Maybe when they are teens I will turn to Radio 4...

ExcuseTypos Wed 07-Aug-13 09:43:38

Yes
No
No- he's in UkIP

He was asked where Bongo Bongo Land was and he said he didn't knowconfused

He also said this was a storm created by The Guardian and The BBCconfused

ICBINEG Wed 07-Aug-13 09:44:11

I am not surprised that UKIP are racist...I am surprised they would go that far and be that blatant.

MerryMarigold Wed 07-Aug-13 09:45:04

You'll need at least a 100 listeners to make that statistically correct!

BoreOfWhabylon Wed 07-Aug-13 09:45:28

1. Yes
2. No
3. Yes - that some people think this but shock that someone in his position actually said this.

I was also shock when he said (paraphrasing a bit) that he 'would apologise if anyone in Bongo-Bongo Land was offended' by his comments!

Lazyjaney Wed 07-Aug-13 09:45:29

Agree with Panic Mode, and would add that they know exactly what they are doing using words like that, it gets publicity and media attention that allows them to punch way above their weight.

I'm no fan of UKIP but I think their opponents make a big mistake in scoffing at them.

ICBINEG Wed 07-Aug-13 09:46:40

For someone who doesn't know where it is, he sure talked about it being Pakistan for a long time afterwards in the original quote.

Although the main reason for it being racist and derogatory is that it isn't anywhere in particular...it's all those Johnny foreigners...just all of them...and there tribalistic uncivilized ways...

allmycats Wed 07-Aug-13 09:46:51

I think foreign aid should continue but be spent on items, not given as money. So, if they need a new nursing facility we build it and train the staff, if grain etc is needed we distribute it and supervise the growing of it etc.
Never, Ever Cash to be spent as they want.

PrettyKitty1986 Wed 07-Aug-13 09:47:19

Taking out the ridiculous language...no I vehemently do NOT think we should stop foreign aid.

All this 'charity starts at home' nonsense. Why should someone in the UK be more entitled to help than someone in another country purely because of the luck of where they were born?

We're all human beings. All equally deserving of help. The WORLD is 'home' to us all.

I think that most developed Countries pay a shockingly, disgustingly low amount in foreign aid to assist those Countries and people most in need, those that very often lack the most basic of what we would consider 'human rights'.

MerryMarigold Wed 07-Aug-13 09:47:30

Oh good. I'm offended. I hereby rename my house 'Bongo Bongo land'.

Pachacuti Wed 07-Aug-13 09:48:04

I sort of heard it. It was on in the background and I wasn't really listening to begin with, but as he started to spout more and more bollocks my attention was drawn inexorably towards it. I had to hang on to the end to find out w ho he actually was, though.

No.

Urgh, he was so pleased with himself for saying it, too.

stickingattwo Wed 07-Aug-13 09:48:05

I can believe someone would use that kind of racist language - if that person is from UKIP or the EDL or The Klu Klux Klan - because that's just how ignorant some people are.

And NO I don not think we should stop foreign aid becuase human beings - men, women and children - are dying and suffering because they have the misfortune to live in countries where governments are corrupt, disease is rife, war exists, famines happen.

ICBINEG Wed 07-Aug-13 09:48:19

Nah don't need anywhere near 100 to make a statistically valid assertion that he is wrong.

We may even be there already...will run the numbers...

we have 6/7 against so far....

ICBINEG Wed 07-Aug-13 09:50:13

7/8 against

remember to say if you heard the program...or you can't go in my stats!

navada Wed 07-Aug-13 09:52:18

1) No
2) Yes
3) yes

missmargot Wed 07-Aug-13 09:52:19
MerryMarigold Wed 07-Aug-13 09:53:25

Lazyjaney, but it's a high risk strategy, I think, to associate yourself with BNP via language.

PrettyKitty1986 Wed 07-Aug-13 09:53:27

but all the time children are being abused and neglected in the UK, I believe the money should be spent helping them

What about non UK children who may not only ALSO be being abused and neglected - but also have to deal with no clean water and no food due to famine?

Surely their need would be even greater?

HollyBerryBush Wed 07-Aug-13 09:54:49

I suppose an awful lot of African tyrants have extreme wealth from creaming off foreign aid. So the problem is how to get the money to the people and bypassing the corrupt government in charge.

Sorry what was the question?

1) no but I've read the transcript
2) in some cases yes - why do we send money to Argentina? or India which has its own nuclear program? or China, which has oodles of money of its own?
30 I do believe he said 'bongo bongo' - also stunned he said it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now