Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think '24' was written by a bunch of misogynists?

(20 Posts)
DumSpiroSpero Wed 07-Aug-13 08:56:38

Didn't see it on TV but DH's friend recently lent him the lot of DVD. Saw s bits of the first series and thought this, so didn't bother with it, but there was a decent female character in the bits of S3 so last week I started watching S4 from the beginning with DH.

So far we are halfway through and the female characters comprise:

Chloe - CTU operative who supports Jack but is quickly under suspicion due to knowing someone who reports something and kicked off the team

Marianne - her replacement. Having more or less slept her way into the job, she turns out to be working with the terrorists and attempts to frame several of her colleagues

Sarah - another CTU op - a goody but far from likeable

Audrey - politicians DD and Jack's girlfriend - spends most of her time simpering prettily at her various menfolk

Dina - One of the main terrorist's wife - murders her son's 16yo girlfriend (after trying to make son do it himself) in the name of keeping their plot secret

Possibly worst of all is the portrayal of Erin Driscoll, Director of CTU. She brings her mentally ill daughter in to the medical facility so she can continue to do her job, repeatedly ignores the girl begging to be taken home, and girl eventually kills herself. Driscoll is almost immediately dispatched because she can't focus and replaced with, you guessed it - a bloke (although his ex-wife has just turned up to run the show.)

So AIBU, or possibly overthinking it a bit?

kim147 Wed 07-Aug-13 08:59:26

Most of the blokes are pretty fucked up as well.

Tee2072 Wed 07-Aug-13 09:01:06

I have never understood why this show is so popular. Trite and predictable.

YABU. 24 is the greatest tv show ever. Can't wait for it to come back.

Scruffey Wed 07-Aug-13 09:05:53

You are completely over thinking it. I've seen all the series SPOILER ALERT and Chloe is constantly trustworthy and brilliant at her job. All of them fall under suspicion at some stage and Jack B is frequently classed as a rogue operative and does jail time. Yabu and don't look for sexism where it doesn't exist because it hinders the cause.

DumSpiroSpero Wed 07-Aug-13 09:44:00

It's not just sexist though, it's pretty poor writing if in 24 episodes (and several series) they can't create any better female characters.

It's entertaining enough, albeit predictable, but I really can't see why what the fuss about confused .

Hands down the WORST female character was Terri Bauer. I'm glad they killed her off.

MrsMelons Wed 07-Aug-13 10:40:39

YABU - S4 is amazing!!!

lougle Wed 07-Aug-13 15:18:58

24 is great. DH and I are watching for the first time. We're on season 5 now. I'd say there has been a fairly even split between genders in all roles, actually, except President.

BreeWannabe Wed 07-Aug-13 15:21:11

We're watching season 4 on box set this week! No more spoilers!!! YANBU, though!

flowery Wed 07-Aug-13 15:25:28

Pretty great FBI agent female character in Season 7 & 8, plus a female President.

DumSpiroSpero Wed 07-Aug-13 15:35:36

Sorry Bree!

It's not the quantity of female characters but the way they are portrayed that has been irking me.

Driscoll is a good character but the storyline a bit hmm imho. Chloe I believe is another better one but I've not seen much of her and I liked Michelle (?) In S3, but...

I think I need to introduce DH to Spooks & Ros Myers! grin

Nombrechanger Wed 07-Aug-13 15:49:06

Does it have that very annoying musical ticking shit all the way through it?

DumSpiroSpero Wed 07-Aug-13 17:01:40

DH mutes the musical ticking - he has no patience with that kind of thing! grin.

At least on DVD we're spared the actual adverts!

WMittens Wed 07-Aug-13 18:32:07

I thought the exact same thing, but mostly about the first season - every scrape that triggered a series of negative events seemed to be caused by a female character, whether Kim being naive and disobedient, or Terri getting amnesia or various other things, or being targeted by the terrorists.

Female characters very much seemed to be a hindrance or Achilles heel.

lovecupboards Wed 07-Aug-13 18:39:36

I think you are misogynist for only seeing the worst in the female characters.

wintertimeisfun Wed 07-Aug-13 19:13:46

balls, 24 was fabulous. don't look into it so much. terrific stuff smile

wintertimeisfun Wed 07-Aug-13 19:15:14

david palmer.......smile

DumSpiroSpero Wed 07-Aug-13 19:17:46

I think you are misogynist for only seeing the worst in the female characters.

Perhaps the writers should make their negative attributes less bloody evident then!

kim147 Wed 07-Aug-13 19:17:56

Kim was just annoying. In so many ways.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now