Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think having enough fuel in a plane is quite important if there's an emergency and most people would probably pay a bit of money to ensure their plane does not crash

(94 Posts)
kim147 Wed 07-Aug-13 08:41:29

A certain budget airline has been accused of restricting the amount of fuel planes carry to the legal minimum which makes handling emergencies and diversions more difficult.

But of course - it does save money and cut costs so that's ok.

www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/exclusive-safety-warning-as-budget-airlines-such-as-ryanair-cut-fuel-levels-for-flights-8749046.html

Looking forward to a reserve fuel supplement coming soon to the final bill.

tmae Wed 07-Aug-13 13:18:59

If you pay a small fare you can't expect a company to go further than the legal limits, that is one of the ways they save money!

I wouldn't expect them to with maintenance, fuelling, training, service etc. not a criticism, if you want to fly low cost you get what you pay for.

whois Wed 07-Aug-13 13:19:16

Check out www.ihateryanair.org if you like a bit of Ryanair bashing.

MrsHoarder Wed 07-Aug-13 13:20:33

living have you not noticed the unemployment situation? People are forced to take jobs which they may not particularly want.

Caster8 Wed 07-Aug-13 13:29:27

living, in that case, it may well be a case of ryanair getting the worst pilots. Because potential pilots are going to try other airlines first where they can get their training paid for.
The more I think about this, the worse it is, living.

livinginwonderland Wed 07-Aug-13 13:32:11

Well, don't fly with them then. Pilots from ANY airline can be tired, have too little sleep, fly when they're sick, for example. If you don't want to fly with Ryanair, fine, but criticising them when they operate within the limits of the law makes no sense to me. The LAW should be criticised, not the airlines that obey it.

ndep Wed 07-Aug-13 13:35:47

I've name changed for this.

DH was a pilot, both in the RAF & commercially for 30+ years. He refuses to fly Ryan Air (and a few other airlines) as he has safety concerns about them.

I suspect I'd better not say what they are - don't want to get MNHQ in to trouble - but they are valid.

mignonette Wed 07-Aug-13 13:40:39

Do tell NDEp. Why would they cause trouble for MNHQ if they are true?

mignonette Wed 07-Aug-13 13:41:57

Actually that was naive of me. Guess needless legal fees are not what MN wants to pay to keep the snapping Michael Ryan at bay. Even if what youi say is sadly the truth. PM me instead....wink

difficultpickle Wed 07-Aug-13 13:45:33

Do not read my post if you are a nervous flyer

I am less concerned about fuel reserves than I am about the pressure on budget airline pilots and their flying hours and limited breaks. I heard an interview on the radio recently with a budget airline pilot and on the basis of what he said I will never again fly a budget airline.

theodorakisses Wed 07-Aug-13 14:22:26

During the great snow a few years ago, our heathrow bound qatar airways plane had to stop for refuelling halfway as they knew they would have to circle for ages and\or divert.. As israel was not an option and everyone else was full we literally had to turnround and fly backtowards Doha.

expilotwife Wed 07-Aug-13 14:34:30

NDEp Same here DH would never fly Ryanair if it was the last airline on earth. My father was an Air Traffic Control Officer for 35 years, I know who I will and won't fly with. DB a pilot, DS a pilot, DBIL a pilot, my family have wings!

I did fly once with an airline I can't remember which, but we had to land somewhere obscure in France and the pilot had to ask if someone had a credit card that would take 10,000 Francs as their Airline fuel card wasn't valid at this tiny airport!

R***air, fly if you dare, Air F****e take your chance,
and many more!

theodorakisses Wed 07-Aug-13 14:41:53

I have also been on a flight where we were the only people in business and the crew asked if we would mind moving to the front so the pilots could sleep. They camedown, leaving the plane on auto with the flight deck door open and slept.

Hang on, why am I defending crappo jet type airlines? I hate them too but for the exploitation of people who think its agood deal or think they are more right on than decent flights, thosewith food and decent service

HRHwheezing Wed 07-Aug-13 21:08:22

I take exception to the fact that Ryanair pilots are not trained properly.

The facts in the article are not correct.

The plane should have landed in Madrid but there were large thunderstorms so were diverted to Valencia.

The atc were being arsy with Ryanair and made them circle so the pilot called their bluff and declared a mayday.

The Spanish atc got fired for this

Caster8 Wed 07-Aug-13 21:31:49

livinginwonderland. How do you know so much.
Do you have proof that they are abiding by the law?
Some of us very much suspect that they do not.
You can carry on trusting them as much as other airlines if you want to.

HRHwheezing. How do you know that the article is not correct?

There are some strange posts on this thread.

HRHwheezing Wed 07-Aug-13 21:40:26

My husband works for Ryanair

difficultpickle Wed 07-Aug-13 21:51:19

HRH if he is a pilot is he concerned about the flying time/breaks issue?

kim147 Wed 07-Aug-13 21:51:52

Is he one of the self employed pilots? The ones who if they can't work, they don't get paid. And who have to pay for their uniform, transport and hotel accommodation themselves?

I'm sure they aren't breaking any laws. But a happy staff with no pressure on them inspires me with more confidence to fly with than a staff who are under pressure and not treated very well.

theodorakisses Wed 07-Aug-13 21:52:22

Good luck

kim147 Wed 07-Aug-13 21:52:49

Or the pressure on turn around times at airports so full checks might not be made?

theodorakisses Wed 07-Aug-13 21:55:34

Well he is identifiable by this

Caster8 Wed 07-Aug-13 22:05:13

ooh, we can ask HRH lots of questions.

What is wrong about the article?
How much emergency fuel does he put in 300kgs, 150kgs or 0 kgs.
Are there dicktats that he gets that he doesnt like/doesnt approve of/thinks are dangerous?

HRHwheezing Wed 07-Aug-13 22:10:02

In what way Theodora? I haven't said what my husband does for Ryanair.

I would have no problem flying with Ryanair, the checks might not be made no matter who you fly with.

Caster8 Wed 07-Aug-13 22:15:36

Oh he isnt a pilot?

hmm, what does he do?
Because for you to say the article is not correct, is really going to have to mean he is management or something.
If your husband fuels the aircraft or is a baggage handler for example, that would mean he and you wouldnt know any more than anyone else.

Caster8 Wed 07-Aug-13 22:17:31

The pilot had 0 emergency fuel.
And he called the spanish atc's bluff?

HRHwheezing Wed 07-Aug-13 22:20:50

article bbc article about it
This is from last year no more or less than what I said

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now