Giving DS cake for breakfast

(78 Posts)
ShadowMeltingInTheSun Wed 07-Aug-13 07:26:42

DS woke up early this morning, so DH went downstairs with DS while I got washed.

When I got downstairs, I found that instead of say, changing DS's nappy or giving DS his milk or a normal breakfast, DH has given DS Battenburg cake for breakfast. I'm not sure how much DS ate, but there's half a Battenburg missing now.

Apparently this is okay because DS loves cake (he does love cake), and DH wanted to make DS happy.

Am I really being unreasonable to think that toddlers shouldn't be given cake for breakfast, regardless of how much they like eating cake?

ShadowMeltingInTheSun Thu 08-Aug-13 00:31:11

Is Battenburg really pretty much the same nutrionally as cereals aimed at children? Battenburg is coated in marzipan, after all.

I've not done a detailed survey or anything, but my gut feel is that if all cake types were listed from most to least healthy, Battenburg would definitely fall towards the extra-sugary unhealthy end of the cake spectrum.

Only cereal we keep in the house is porridge oats anyway. No added sugar in that, unless we choose to put it there ourselves.

SummerRain Thu 08-Aug-13 00:41:45

Ds1 and I had apple pie for breakfast yesterday. And for brunch and lunch, we'd polished the damn thing off between the two of us by 3pm blush

Battenburg would be a step to far for even my lax parenting though, and if he didn't even change his nappy it suggests that there was a fair degree of laziness involved in his decision making which would have annoyed me immensely

MyBaby1day Thu 08-Aug-13 04:01:39

Ha ha, no it's fine!!.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now