Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

...preparing for a flaming......aibu to not understand why everyone hates The Daily Mail?

(138 Posts)
mameulah Tue 06-Aug-13 21:46:59

That's it.

I don't get what the problem is?

Anniegetyourgun Tue 06-Aug-13 22:12:05

Has anyone linked the song yet?

Patchouli Tue 06-Aug-13 22:12:14

The scaremongering bugs me.
My MIL reads it. She's always going on about how scarey GM food is etc

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 06-Aug-13 22:14:02
Bogeyface Netherlands Tue 06-Aug-13 22:14:22

artijoke that is a fascinating article that proves everything I have ever suspected about DM.

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 06-Aug-13 22:14:42

x-post Annie grin

WafflyVersatile Tue 06-Aug-13 22:14:53

They are trolls, effectively. Half their advertising revenue must come from people clicking on links in order to be disgusted at them. The ones that aren't disgusted presumably agree with them which isn't really what you want in a society that isn't filled with hatred for your fellow human.

gordyslovesheep Germany Tue 06-Aug-13 22:15:26

long but worth watching

(right thread this time)

Punkatheart Tue 06-Aug-13 22:15:58

I have met and talked to many many Daily Mail journos. I would never read it. I know their ethos from the inside. I am a liberal, beardy, kind nature-loving gal - with a bit of fury still inside me from my earlier anarchist days.

Well maybe not the beard - which would upset The Mail - as I am a single mum who does not work (except a bit of decent journalism) and has had a child out of wedlock. The fact that I have cancer and my very successful partner left me would be ignored, if I was a statistic for them...

softlysoftly Tue 06-Aug-13 22:16:49

I don't like the DM though I'll admit to checking it online and finding it a bit readable like chat

BUT I hate the vitriol thrown at readers, the gross generalisations that they are all prejudiced and evil. Why are generalisations Ok here and not anywhere else? Is that not just as bad?

My DM reads the DM she very much loves her mixed race GDCs Thankyou very much, and her family who grew up sharing a tiny terraced house between 10 of them and my DGD who after being a miner wasn't a great provider.

She doesn't fit your damn generalisations but you would categorise and vilify her in the street due to her chosen reading material.

Can't believe people can't see the irony in that.

Anniegetyourgun Tue 06-Aug-13 22:17:13

Muahahaha.

ProphetOfDoom Tue 06-Aug-13 22:18:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 06-Aug-13 22:19:02

'vilify her in the street'

Has that ever, ever, ever happened? Vilified in the street? Really? I think cats bum mouth is more mumsnet style tbh.

bearleftmonkeyright Tue 06-Aug-13 22:20:05

The reporting of the Philpott case. I did complain to the pcc about that. Op yabu, you know damn well why people find the daily mail a grubby shitty excuse for a paper.

Artijoke Tue 06-Aug-13 22:20:30

Softly, who on earth 'vilifies DM readers in the street'? People vilify the paper, nobody here had vilified the readers.

Chubbymomie2012 Tue 06-Aug-13 22:20:51

OK. so I do read it, not everyday but somedays. its easy to read but recently i have seriously questioned its stance on certain things.

so.

what other papers do u read instead????

helenafalco Tue 06-Aug-13 22:21:18

Used to read it in my younger days umtil I realised it was talking about me not to me. Now I do judge when I see anyone engrossed in the filth

helenafalco Tue 06-Aug-13 22:21:37

Until

bearleftmonkeyright Tue 06-Aug-13 22:22:24

Also the suicide recently of a teacher due to their "news" reporting.

gordyslovesheep Germany Tue 06-Aug-13 22:22:46
capitola Tue 06-Aug-13 22:23:41

It's misogynistic, but even worse imo, it seems to employ people with a poor grasp of literacy to write its on-line version, or has not a single proof reader.

SleepyCatOnTheMat Tue 06-Aug-13 22:23:43

The Daily Mail supported supported Fascism in the 1930s. Some would argue it's not changed much since.

FanjoForTheMammaries Tue 06-Aug-13 22:23:57

Lol at 'vilified in the street'

I might vilify the people who make a living selling such shite but just mainly feel sorry for the sheeple who lap up the bile or dont see how harmful it is (my mum reads it, I hardly vilify her)

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 06-Aug-13 22:25:13

Might be something to do with the ignorant, hateful and frequently racist headlines and journalists they employ.

Maybe.

Yabu if you can't see that.

GinOnTwoWheels Tue 06-Aug-13 22:26:34

Yes Matilda, a large proportion of their stories are criticising women in a way that men would never be criticised. Everything from weight, looks, work or not, shopping habits etc etc etc.

They write complete bullshit about immigrants, public sector workers, cyclist and probably loads of other groups.

What I find particularly baffling is why it is so popular amongst older women like my mother.

IDontBowlOnShabbos Tue 06-Aug-13 22:27:43

I used to read it online sometimes but I found it really depressing and contradictory.
Just one example, a piece about anorexia. It was quite well written, went into how the young child felt pressured to look a certain way by society, so far so normal. But if you looked to the right on the 'side bar of shame' it was basically all pictures of young women in the public eye and the 'stories' were basically picking them apart for how they looked!

I don't judge people who read it though, just chose to ignore it myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now