AIBU to think that Kirstie Allsop has completely lost the plot!

(132 Posts)
EmpireBiscuit Tue 06-Aug-13 20:28:28

Watching "Fill your house for free" and can't help wondering, not only, who has the time but who really wants a washing machine drum coffee table? hmm

Viviennemary Sun 08-Sep-13 11:37:19

She was quite entertaining once. But it's now got to the stage when the powers that be think the public will swallow any nonsense if she's spouting it.

freeas Sun 08-Sep-13 11:34:53

I am trying to clear up my home and find that I have a lot of tatty furniture. I keep seeing them as free wood and working out what I could turn them into. Then I`m overcome with stress and just want to chuck it out and call the council to take it to the tip.. I go-ogled `Is KA stuff for free a good idea.` I have spent the last hour in side splitting ,choking fits of laughter reading an article from the Guardian and this forum. I thought I was the only one who found KA make overs hideous . After the first show I just watched the start and flicked back at the end to see the appalling outcome. This site has cheered me up so much. I`m off to chuck my rubbish out.

We call the latest programme " fill your house with crap". It's the best comedy on at the moment. Love the mix and clash outfits Kirsty is wearing.

LilacPeony Wed 07-Aug-13 23:06:21

I used to like her, until I saw her on Question Time and she was outraged that her poor in-laws might have to pay mansion tax on their 2 million pound property. In the middle of a recession I just found it hard to drum up any sympathy. hmm

BeaWheesht Wed 07-Aug-13 22:58:44

I'm so glad I found this thread. Dh and I were sat watching thinking WTF?

The tables stuck to the walls made me laugh especially when they said some of the tables had been dearly loved and donated after someone wanted to pass them on because her late grandmother loved them so much. Can you imagine that person turning the TV on to see them chopped into bits and glued onto a wall?? hmm

I do like Kirstie though although if she is a bit of a twat as a previous post suggests that is v disappointing.

chocolateicecream Wed 07-Aug-13 14:57:44

A little off topic so apologies. Usually I find the woman a little annoying but I do like her 'top dog' duvet set and am thinking of buying my dd one.

mignonette Wed 07-Aug-13 14:46:32

Sarah grin grin grin

Was it painted on black paper? There cannot be that many surely.It was not a popular concept, Tigers in the 1980's! everybody else was doing surrealism.

Yes she so should not have won first prize for her Eclairs and scones as they said their bottoms were burned. What level of discernment is that WI?

Snoop that is hysterical grin

I would argue so much they'd chuck me off the show Sarah. It's be 'Kirsty recycles nothing because of PITA person on it'.

SarahAndFuck Wed 07-Aug-13 14:28:43

Mignonette I have no picture I'm afraid, so lets just say that it's definitely your painting, because how many roadside tigers can there be in West London? grin

I didn't like the programmes where Kirsty goes off to knit marmalade at a host of country shows and always seemed to win the prize because they judges didn't know it was her entry my eye they didn't, but I do enjoy the others.

Snoop I love the idea of your MIL getting the saw out and chopping through the bed before realising she'd forgotten what comes next.

I think if you go on these programmes you have to be prepared to argue a bit. There's no way I would have ended up with a wall of chopped up coffee tables as shelves. Just because you are on TV for free it doesn't mean you have to let someone glue Sylvanian figures to your ceiling, does it grin

I was (claim to fame) on a makeover show and had a lovely off screen scuffle with Richard Randell because he wanted to decorate my living room to look like a chocolate lime. He took it well, he was quite lovely actually. We got a blue room in the end.

enormouse Wed 07-Aug-13 13:50:56

Does anyone remember the beautiful cast iron bath that was destroyed sawn in half to make a dodgy looking (extremely) uncomfortable chair?

I stopped watching after that.

Poutintrout Wed 07-Aug-13 13:48:34

Ah, that's a relief about the bed snoopy. I will sleep easier in my bed tonight grin

SnoopySnoopyDoggDogg Wed 07-Aug-13 13:34:33

I dont think they did saw the legs off the bed Poutintrout they just lowered the footboard and stuck it back on again.

My MIL was once inspired by a DIY programme and FIL came home to her having sawn their kingsize bed in half and forgotten what else was meant to happen to 'transform' it. Makes me grin a lot to think of his face.

I love KA shows, totally crap but I don't think they really pretend to be anything else do they?

mignonette Wed 07-Aug-13 13:33:12

That should be 'sons'. No excuse for my appalling grammar.

mignonette Wed 07-Aug-13 13:32:08

Any crafstperson/builder (such as my DH) will cringe at the appalling standards of 'craftsmanship' on this show. That awful sofa made of recycled ?Dangerous flammable) cushions and a load of sharp edged pallets and metal piping. Can you imagine the teenage son's of the householder flopping down on it and smashing their skulls on the pipes? What was wrong with her previous sofa? It hadn't been affected by the flood and was being used.

That 'expert valuer'. I'd like to know what auctions she attends or the names of the clients she sells to as I have a load of old tat from my shed precious artisanal objects D'art for her to sell on commission for me.

SarahAndFuck I threw out a gouache painting of a tigers head when I was living in West London years ago painted by moi when i was a talentless aspiring artist. D'ya think it is now hanging in the Allsopp palace? Do you have a picture? Am very excited now.

Poutintrout Wed 07-Aug-13 13:24:12

Oh and don't get me started on the muppet who decided that it was a really good idea to saw the legs off a bed. Okay, so the couple have a bedroom that is on the small side where storage is an issue but hey lets make the bed so low that they can't stash anything under it. Also all the gushing about how much better the bedroom looked after the makeover. Well yes, of course it looked better. All the furniture had been removed and replaced with ornamental tat while all their clothes & detritus & stuff that they actually need in their bedroom was piled in the kitchen.

SarahAndFuck Wed 07-Aug-13 13:20:34

I was a bit shock at that plastic drainpipe office though.

He had to have been taking the piss.

SarahAndFuck Wed 07-Aug-13 13:19:33

Kirsty's house is full of skip tat though.

I know because I read her book seem to recall hearing about it somewhere.

She furnished her boys bedrooms with old cabin beds and a giant painting of a tiger her husband found at the side of the road.

So obviously that means everything her house was found at the roadside. <nods firmly>

I'm totally convinced that instead of teddy bears all children of Kirtsy's acquaintance have taxidermied road-kill to play with.

Poutintrout Wed 07-Aug-13 13:14:17

I love this programme because it is so utterly shite and I enjoy shouting at the TV The only real interesting part of the show is when Kirstie shows us the homes of people who have spent years skip diving & scouring freecycle and truly have an interesting and unique home.

I did laugh at the guy who made last night's kitchen table when he earnestly declared how because it had a hinged top and a bit of old guttering taped to the underneath that "it was almost like having another room because it is like an office" Erm, no not really....

PigOnStilts Wed 07-Aug-13 12:20:43

I know somebody who works on the kirsty shows. She does feck all....floats in, presents, leaves. And eats alone!

Shrugged Wed 07-Aug-13 12:14:57

It was the tacky little mirrors made out of vintage tennis racquets that made me unreasonably furious.

Fuzzysnout Wed 07-Aug-13 11:24:07

Can you imagine the MNer's reaction when Kirstie turns up to collect the old tat valued item they thought was going to demonstrate their benevolence by freecycling to the person with the best sob story poor and needy?

Blazinstoke - last weeks tables stuck to the Walls definitely made me think of 'I saw you coming'.

deste Wed 07-Aug-13 11:03:39

People do throw out good stuff. Our neighbour had 3weeks to get the house ready for renting out as they were moving to Dubai. They put out a two year old leather corner unit and cooker and god knows what. The cleansing department came and it went into the crusher. An absolute waste. We live about 500 yards away from Homestart.

CountryWisdom Wed 07-Aug-13 10:41:08

time is money in my book
<deep- not>

Nagoo Wed 07-Aug-13 10:16:38

Am I too late to grin @ poo to one side grin grin

MadeOfStarDust Wed 07-Aug-13 10:08:34

But that crappy table - made from fence posts and scaffolding planks with a plastic gutter for pencils - really?!?! - wasn't even FLAT - first (and pretty much only ) quality I require in a table is flatness....

farrowandbawl Wed 07-Aug-13 09:51:09

*carpentry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now