AIBU to be pissed off about massive hike in nursery fees (£200pcm)

(27 Posts)
rumbelina Tue 06-Aug-13 16:07:28

When he started 2 years ago, DS's nursery had a daily charge or a weekly charge for full time. The full time cost was equivalent to 4 days paid separately.

They have now sent a letter saying they have been 'miscalculating' and actually we will now pay for 5 separate days. This puts the price up by £200 per month for full time.

They have offered a 10% discount on a full time place for 12 months since it is 'their mistake' but it is still a massive increase and effectively cancels out any benefit we might have had from the 15 free hours which will start in January.

For various reasons our budget is a lot tighter than it was and I'm really fed up that we now have to fork out such a large extra amount with one month's notice.

I know they only have to give a months notice but a) I don't believe it is a 'miscalculation' - what for 4 years plus (friend's child has been going there that long)?? and b) I sincerely doubt staff wages will increase dramatically.

I love the nursery and the staff, and so does DS, but I'm bloody pissed off.

rumbelina Mon 12-Aug-13 15:50:06

Mandy we were paying monthly £690 (2 x £243 vouchers + £204)

We will now be paying £900-10% = £810 (2 x £243 + £324) therefore £120 extra per month out of our pockets. I believe the nursery to be worth it, but having budgeted for a house move and cut in wages (for better job) based on the current cost, we could have done with a bit more notice as we will be tight now.

It turns out that when the current operators took over the business 5 years ago, the nursery manager explained the charging system to them, told them very clearly there was a discrepancy between the daily/weekly rates but they were happy to carry on with it.

She is horrified that they have changed it with 1 month's notice especially since she went to great pains to ensure they were fully aware of the arrangement and thinks they should have phased it in over 5 years so it wasn't such a shock to people's budgets.

Mandy21 Mon 12-Aug-13 16:00:22

Sorry, yes, with £120 more upfront its annoying and I wouldn't be happy either. But I think as someone else up the thread says, it sounds as if you've been underpaying for quite a while so you've had some benefit. I still think you'll get some benefit from the Early Years Funding so its a hit now, but you'll be better off next September.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now