To be feeling irritated by my 5 yo DD?

(25 Posts)
SamuelWestsMistress Tue 06-Aug-13 12:14:27

She is the middle of 3. My other two SDs (3 and 8)seem to get on well and all is fine.

However, DD is absolutely doing my head in. I love her SO much but she constantly wining, or being silly, or hurting herself and crying because she's being silly, or hurting her brothers and making them cry because she is being silly, or following me around all over the place. Telling me she's hungry then I give her something then she doesn't like it, then she cries. Fighting with her brothers then screaming blue murder when they as much as look at her. Or putting a 'ey' on the end of everything...eg "oh yay penciley" " oh yay caterpillarey" "oh yum biscuitey" or jumping and thumping and rolling about making enough noise and commotion to think that the house is about to fall in despite the fact that she is light as a feather.

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!

SamuelWestsMistress Tue 06-Aug-13 12:14:56

Other two DS that is...

littlewhitebag Tue 06-Aug-13 12:20:36

Is she looking for attention. One of my DD's was a bit like that and what she wanted was for me to spend 1-1 time with her doing things (craft, baking, playing games etc). Some children just seem to need more of this than others and perhaps she feels left out if her two brothers get on well?

Foxred10 Tue 06-Aug-13 12:22:40

5 year olds suck. I love DS1 so very much but he drives me CRAZY!!!! Everything you describe, with the added bonus of lots of 'bum bum willie willie stinky willie' tacked on the end for good measure.....

pookamoo Tue 06-Aug-13 12:28:35

My DD1 is the same and she's not quite 5.

This morning we had a friend and her 2 younger children (her eldest is the same age as DD2) for coffee / play, and DD1 spent the whole time interrupting the mum, trying to get her attention, generally being a pest. She's quite capable of entertaining herself with colouring, lego, or even playing nicely with the babies but no. It had to be attention seeking, high volume complaining and whinging. <hmm>

Inside, somewhere, she is a normal nice child!

aldiwhore Tue 06-Aug-13 12:30:17

My 5 year old is the same, but he has a scary dose of fearlessness as well. He thrives on solid structure, positive challenges and struggles to entertain himself alone... unfortunately I don't have many answers, as there are times where I cannot play with him all day, and he becomes exceptionally annoying.

I pity him too, he just needs a lot of guided stimulus (he's great at school until he gets to choosing time, he just cannot choose!) - I finished one activity about 20 minutes ago, am still clearing up from it, I told him he needed to find a quiet game to play for a while and the next minute he'd rolled down the stairs in a FULL washing basket (for padding) and is currently picking every piece of clothing up under duress.

His older brother adores him, but can't keep up with the craziness. You have my sympathy!

Foxred10 Tue 06-Aug-13 12:31:38

Aldi I know it's not funny in real life but I am creasing at the image of the washing basket luge!! gringrin

PoppyWearer Tue 06-Aug-13 12:33:30

YANBU, mine is also doing many of these things, including the -ey on the end of random words! Why???????! angry

I know mine is still exhausted from school so am trying to give her as much rest and 1:1 time as I can, but it's bloody hard work and I've only got two DCs!

Has she got her back molars yet? My DD was like this all last summer, was a nightmare. Went to the dentist in September who told me she had 4 new teeth, and had I noticed her being a bit sensitive lately?

TheOnlyPink Tue 06-Aug-13 12:49:28

Has she just gotten her school holidays? My ds is almost 6 and finished his first year in primary school in June. He was an absolute nightmare for about 3 weeks.
I think it was a combination of exhaustion and a change in routine, cos while he still does annoying things, they aren't half as bad as those first few weeks!

Fakebook Tue 06-Aug-13 12:54:09

confused My 5 year old has been putting "a/ton" at the end of everything...biscuiton, trampolinaton, appleton...it's all very annoying and weird. She's also pushing and poking her brother (19m) for no reason at random times during the day.

Today I've let her go free at home doing whatever she wants as long as its not dangerous and doesn't make a mess and if it does she can clean it. She's made herself hot chocolate and is now making a marmite sandwich for herself. She's been good so far!

KellyElly Tue 06-Aug-13 12:57:16

My DD is three and exactly the same, I thought she would have grown out of this by five grin

SamuelWestsMistress Tue 06-Aug-13 12:58:59

I'm so relieved I'm not alone here! I think her molars are through but she has been very emotionally sensitive the last few weeks. We have two weeks left of the holidays and perhaps she's just bored. It's so hard keeping 3 kids with completely different interests entertained without them trying to kill each other. The weather has been so nice this summer and she has now decided that she can't stand being outside any longer so I am contained with the noise.

She also takes over an hour to eat a fucking sandwich. She's leaning back in her chair blinking her eyelids humming the Doctor Who theme tune nibbling on her crusts like a tiny little mouse. We have been like this since 12. I've told her about 10 times to sit properly and she does for about 30 seconds then repeats....

I asked my mum if I was irritating at 5. She says I was but I fucking wasn't.

SkinnyDecaffGiraffe Tue 06-Aug-13 13:05:51

Has she been watching Ben and Holly? My 4yo loves it and is always adding -ey to the end of things. Holly's little sister twins do it. It drives me batty !

RonBurgundysPanpipe Tue 06-Aug-13 13:08:15

My 5 year old dd is the same. Whiney, cries at the drop of a hat and takes an age with food too. Especially annoying at breakfast time when she needs to hurry up. She's also starting throwing almighty tantrums in the last 6 months which result in her being sent to her bedroom to calm down before she's allowed out.

Have some cakey. It'll make you feel better.

Seriously though, I do sympathise. It sounds very difficult. My DS does the 'ey' thing sometimes. I mostly ignore it but when stressed it is hugely wearing. It'll pass. All things pass. It's a phase.

Tittypulumpcious Tue 06-Aug-13 16:26:04

My dsd was the same at 5...she's now 9 I'd like to say it gets better but in my case it hasn't. So I have no advice except to say sorry I have no advice smile

FridgePervert Tue 06-Aug-13 17:10:55

My 5yo DD is EXACTLY the same.
Also the middle of three. She could cause chaos in an empty room!!
Goes back to school next week and I'm actually glad because she's driving me bonkers!!
The holidays haven't been too bad because the weather has been nice but she also gets quite crabbit in the heat and finds it too hot to play out/ walk anywhere.
She's going to a play scheme Thursday and Friday and the house will be so quiet without her there.
Really had to try hard to stay patient with her and remind myself she is only little and has always been a drama queen but it has been difficult to do towards the end of the hols.

OnaPromise Tue 06-Aug-13 17:32:10

I also have a 5 year old dd, so I'll just go 'aaaaaaaargh' in sympathy.

Yesterday she had a massive public tantrum during which she told me that I have ruined her life. She's been like a teenager ever since she was a toddler though. She's absolutely lovely and the apple of my eye, but my god, the constant drama!

earthmother33 Tue 06-Aug-13 21:48:01

My five yr old never plays alone!! I have to do everything with her and am useless at playing and find it boring!!

notanyanymore Tue 06-Aug-13 21:50:23

Ha! Glad its not just me! DD1 4.5, my mum keeps telling me its just because she needs to start school and its the natural order of things so that when she starts in Sept I won't feel quite so bereft! smile

WooWooSister Tue 06-Aug-13 22:07:01

Ditto! ds is 4.5 and he's driving me mad. I was so happy when he went to play at our neighbour's for half an hour! It's just constant.
notanyanymore I like your dm's thinking grin

hels71 Tue 06-Aug-13 22:21:32

My 5yo DD also adds EY to the end of words at the moment,,,or pretends she is a baby and adds goo goo onto everything. Her other annoying habit is copying everything you say............Must be the age!!!

OnaPromise Thu 08-Aug-13 18:05:59

notanyanymore - I like that theory!

Kaekae Thu 08-Aug-13 18:26:33

My son frustrates me, he just can't seem to entertain himself. He will do the whole interrupting thing if I am talking, will insist I get an activity out and then do it all of five minutes. Within the last hour he has got out the box game Operation, put on a Super Mario costume, done some colouring in and has left every single one of those items out without bothering to put them away. He is quite lazy, hates sports and if I suggest we go to the park he complains. He also does the copying everything I say game! He sometimes has tantrums, will heavily go up the stairs, slam his bedroom door then weep big huge tears into his pillow as if his whole life has been ruined forever. I love him so much but he can drive me crazy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now