to pointedly offer a tissue to the lady in my office who keeps sniffing loudly? (AAARGH)

(51 Posts)
ClockWatchingLady Tue 06-Aug-13 10:05:08

God, it's driving me nuts.

ClockWatchingLady Wed 07-Aug-13 18:46:59

Thank you all for your excellent sniffer/sniffing stories, good humour & support yesterday.
Office sniffer has gone, but I shall be more understanding about both the sniffing and my own inevitable rage if she returns grin

I had a mad hayfever sneezing fit on the train the other day and had run out of tissues. I was mortified as I just had to sniff. In the end I had to use my glasses wipe thingy to wipe my nose. I would have loved someone to offer me a tissue.

On the flipside when I was 8 months pregnant, my (lovely) colleague had a cold and he had done great big manly snorting sniffs for about 6 hours. The rage boiled up inside me until I shouted 'Stop sniffing. If you don't stop I will stab you with this scalpel and go to prison, and I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE THIS BABY IN PRISON'. He mentions it to this day (6yrs ago). Our friendship remained intact.

Good luck and I hope you get through the day. There is nothing worse.

nennypops Tue 06-Aug-13 13:55:57

Can you get one of you moved to a different desk? Or can you suggest you work from home till the problem is sorted?

Lottapianos Tue 06-Aug-13 13:09:22

Yeah I know it's all pretty attractive stuff eh? wink Thanks

I use fexofenadine which is really good, gps are crap about prescribing it thoughas its expensive.
Loratidine is OTC and effective I've found that to be ok, the non branded version is cheap and is non drowsy.

I only use the inhaler in the spring/summer months, it helps with the cough brought on by the drip and the hay fever. God I'm such a catch! grin

yourcruisedirector Tue 06-Aug-13 13:04:15

[disclaimer: office-sniffer isn't me]

I was mortified the other day when a lady on the bus offered me a tissue - I didn't even realise I'd been sniffing, but I had. I said thank you and that my toddler had used up my supply, blew my nose, and then spend the remainder of the journey carefully and quietly not sniffing even though I desperately needed to. I even checked MN afterward to see if she'd posted about her rage. The shame, it stays with you...

Not sure I could cope with an entire day worth though. I experienced a similar rage with a strange girl who couldn't stop clearing her throat in the library during finals. I wanted to murder her.

mignonette Tue 06-Aug-13 12:58:56

That's ok Clock. I had a nervous sniff as a child and my parents subjected me to various surgical treatments such as nose cauterisations, adenoidectomy etc until it was realised what it was. My Father throwing his slipper/shoe at my head every time I sniffed didn't help much so I recommend you try not to do that grin....

I grew out of it after a couple of years but it was a miserable time.

Lottapianos Tue 06-Aug-13 12:58:21

OK, will investigate, thanks! Is your antihistamine an over the counter pill?

Lotta I have found, a daily, year round antihistamine, Flixonase spray and a salbutamol inhaler are finally improving things a bit. I still have flare ups though.
I've had it since I was a child and it's horrible, I've had surgery x2 and think I must have trialled every medication out there. Grim.

ClockWatchingLady Tue 06-Aug-13 12:46:37

The cake, Unexpected, was incredible. Thank you for asking. No lemon drizzle today, but a new (to me) Turkish syrup cake. I don't think I will ever be enraged by anything, ever again.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Tue 06-Aug-13 12:36:42

How was the cake? Has it dispelled any rage?

ClockWatchingLady Tue 06-Aug-13 12:30:39

Hi crapartist. That sounds really difficult for you, to say the least. I hope today is a "not too bad" day for you.

crapartist Tue 06-Aug-13 12:06:29

Some days are really bad and it's pretty much constant and I feel so self conscious about it. Some days it's not too bad but it's always there to some degree.

No medicine will fix it, I've tried everything and the doctor is out of ideas too. So all I can do is bloody sniff.

Lottapianos Tue 06-Aug-13 11:59:47

I'm guessing squoosh's comment was meant to be black humour, not a serious threat of physical violence smile

But do you sniff all day long crapartist? Or just as and when you need to? If it's an occasional thing, I think that's fine - it's the people who have a cold or hayfever or whatever, who will sit all day and sniff, sniff, sniiiiifff, SNNNNNNIIIIIIFFFF who I get furious with.

crapartist Tue 06-Aug-13 11:49:17

These people deserve to die a slow and painful death.

Really Squoosh?

I have a eustacian tube dysfunction which means the tube behind my eardrum closes itself up, causing my hearing to go in one ear. The only way for me to open the tube to hear again (albeit temporarily) is to sniff. I can't help it, it's automatic, like swallowing.

Think before you say such nasty things please. People don't do things like this in order to deliberately wind others up.

ClockWatchingLady Tue 06-Aug-13 11:43:27

Not a bad idea oscar. Ear plugs; headphones and some music; pick-axe?

I just snorted into my coffee (<hypocrite>) that she might be a coke fiend. She appears to be virtually asleep.

All these points about the culture-specific nature of my gripe are making me feel more reasonable. I might deliberately work myself up again to justify going out to get cake.

Thank you, lovely people thanks. I'm off out for some lemon drizzle. (If they will insist on making me work under these horrifying conditions...).

squoosh Tue 06-Aug-13 11:43:18

Throat clearing also irritates me, and people who say 'ahhhh' after every sip of tea.

I'm such a tolerant person. grin

Capitola Tue 06-Aug-13 11:33:17

Erk, I hate sniffing.

But then I also hate nose blowing confused

oscarwilde Tue 06-Aug-13 11:28:03

Ear plugs ? Headphones and some music ? God I would murder her.

squoosh Tue 06-Aug-13 11:23:19

Apparently in Japan blowing one's nose in public is akin to bending over and farting in someone's face.

Lottapianos Tue 06-Aug-13 11:23:09

A colleague once told me that her husband thought it was the height of rudeness to blow your nose, and much better to sniff and sniff and sniff. People certainly are weird!

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Tue 06-Aug-13 11:23:03

Woman up and confront. You will be the office heroine. You will be Mumsnet's heroine.

I reckon she's a coke fiend so she's only brought it on herself.

12 sniffs a minute x 6 hours = 4,320 sniffs before home time angry

I used to know an American who got huffy with me when I discreetly blew my nose. Apparently, it's POLITER to sniff in California.

People are weird.

ClockWatchingLady Tue 06-Aug-13 11:20:52

youmeatsix what an excellent plan. Although my prediction is that she wouldn't notice if I wrapped her up in tissues like a mummy.

ClockWatchingLady Tue 06-Aug-13 11:18:02

Oooh, and Drama. Strangulation is beginning to seem like the only option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now