To really resent doing party bags for my dc's bday parties??

(144 Posts)
justkeeponsmiling Mon 05-Aug-13 09:10:53

It annoys the hell out of me!
This week we are having a bday party for 4yo DS and 8yo DD (bad planning from us a few years back, I know!)
Money is tight and we are already hiring a bouncy castle, feeding the party guests and entertaining them with games, etc. for 2-3 hours. And feeding the parents of the 4yo guests as well, if last year is anything to go by, as they all decided to stay and tuck into the buffet...
I don't mind any of that, but I really resent the custom of then having to present the guests with presents in the form of party bags for even turning up!
Maybe it's because I'm not from this country and I know that in my home country the concept of party bags simply doesn't exist (at least it didn't years ago...maybe that's changed now though?!)
Or maybe I'm just a miserable so and so... hmmm [hmmm]

mumofoneandonebakingnicely Tue 06-Aug-13 22:24:09

I couldn't throw a birthday party without one. For our sons birthday we did age appropriate birthday boxes:

Babies
Soft Giraffe
Bubble Bath
Sensory toy
Rattle
Comforter

Toddlers

Flash Cards
Soft Giraffe
Stacking Cups
Bubbles
Soft sweets

Under 5's

Mini Note book
Crayons
Bubbles
Sweets
Mini Jigsaws
Balloons

The Toddlers and Under fives all got hot food boxes Chicken Nuggets, Fish Fingers, Wedges and Chips and tomato Ketchup(all home made) there was also:
Coronation Chicken Sandwiches
Ham Sandwiches
Cheese Sandwiches
Antipasti
Cold Meat Platter
Various breads
Olive Oil
Mini Calzones
Pomodori Secchi Fritti
Greek plata
Tapas - Meat balls, Risotto
Pizza
Rice Salad
Pasta Salad
Chinese snacks
Indian Snacks
Crisps
Dips
Crudities
Chicken
Sausage Rolls
Pork Pies
Wedges
Chocolate brownies
Doughnuts
Chocolate Éclairs
Fairy Cakes
Profiteroles
Fruit
Jelly
Ice cream

Water
Sicilian Lemonade
Ginger Beer
Elderflower fizz
Morello Cherryade
Milkshakes
Smoothies

Everything was homemade.

Monkeyandanimal Wed 07-Aug-13 08:23:38

Ha Ha, love the 'now fuck off home' bags soupdragon!

JenaiMorris Wed 07-Aug-13 08:28:19

Now Fuck Off Home™ bags would be fabulous for all manner of hosting situations. Dinner parties, drop ins, work meetings... grin

philden Wed 07-Aug-13 08:34:41

My kids grown up but I never did "regular" party bags we gave money to charity and the charity supplied a badge for each child - along with this I would write a note for parents with suggestion they could do the same, but none ever did. I have no regrets

AngelsWithSilverWings Wed 07-Aug-13 08:36:33

I'm with you on party bags but mainly because they are always full of plastic rubbish that gets thrown on the floor of my car while the kids desperately try and get to the sweets on the way home from the party.

I made my own sweet cones this year and it was so much cheaper than party bags. 40 cones cost me about £20 to make.

Coconutty Wed 07-Aug-13 08:42:13

If you don't want to do it, don't do it. Your choice.

Catsize Wed 07-Aug-13 08:49:26

mumofone, I really hope that was a joke!

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 07-Aug-13 08:51:13

Although probably done with the best intentions, the splitting up of Book People sets is generally a waste of time because the children already have all these books. And because they have become so ubiquitous you can't regift them as everyone has them already.

exoticfruits Wed 07-Aug-13 08:53:33

I don't see the problem- just don't do them.

buggyRunner Wed 07-Aug-13 09:47:03

I didn't do them but did a lucky dip with toys from the £1 store the kids loved it!

melrose Wed 07-Aug-13 09:53:25

I have always just done a single item and a couple of sweets always around £1 each. Have done:
- books, various (split book people sets, totally disagree with poster above, have done elmer and themed party around it, and can't believe everyone already has them all!)
- frisbees
- water pistols (reduced in muli sets in tesco)
- cups
- drinks bottles
- baseball caps (England flag, football party!)

All far more useful then plastic cramp and well received

doublemuvver Wed 07-Aug-13 10:00:53

At my kids' parties I've put a note on the invite stating there will be no party bags and I will give a donation to the local hospital's neo natal ward instead. Kids do get a bit of cake though so don't leave empty handed!

Oblomov Wed 07-Aug-13 16:59:22

shock at MumOfOne !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mumofoneandonebakingnicely Thu 08-Aug-13 14:58:00

I know I panicked Oblomov. I wanted to make sure there was enough food. I've been to people's homes & needed to make something when we arrived home.

xx

BeCool Thu 08-Aug-13 15:02:51

that's some panic mumofone grin

mumofoneandonebakingnicely Thu 08-Aug-13 17:26:15

No joke Catsize smile. It was a serious panic to say the least BeCool. Needles to say there was loads of food left over. xxx

NaturalBaby Thu 08-Aug-13 23:23:34

mumofone how the heck did you home make all of that?? You could set up a business preparing all of that for other people.

Caboodle Thu 08-Aug-13 23:45:55

Er....can we come to one of your parties mumofone? grin

mumofoneandonebakingnicely Fri 09-Aug-13 11:27:52

naturalBaby it was a lot of work to say the least but where possible I pre made things in advance, things like the indian snacks were frozen and just defrosted the night before.

Sure thing Caboodle

I will have to do it all over again in April for our sons 2nd birthday and then in the November for our Daughters first birthday. I still have my DP birthday to cater in October (six weeks before our daughter is due). xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now