To have a bloody good rummage in my ear with a cotton bud?

(115 Posts)
Cheesyslice Sat 03-Aug-13 20:43:13

I'm going insane. It is SO. FUCKING. ITCHY. I'm climbing the walls.

I've had an ear infection since Tuesday. It's crippling. Been to GP twice and on anti b's plus nurofen / codeine / paracetamol. The left side of my face is swollen. Even hurts to bloody eat.

Obviously advice is to not stick anything in the ear but if I was gentle would I get away with a little ninja scratching session or would it make it worse? confused

my love of ear digging is absolutely not the reason I am in this situation in the first place

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 04-Aug-13 12:45:48

Use one of your little fingers and give it a good jiggle. This is the only way to get a good safe scratch going! <<bitter experience>>
Eating a nice big bowl of ice cream is also great for easing ear infection itch!
The popping is probably because you are all swollen in there, and your eustacian tubes aren't working properly.

ClayDavis Sun 04-Aug-13 12:47:17

The problem with using cotton buds for 'ear digging' is apart from the risk of doing some damage to your ear with them, they can actually make the problem worse. They're not very good at getting the wax out, more often than not they end up pushing most of it further in so it gets impacted.

My GP surgery recommend a few drops of olive oil for a week or so to soften it. They don't do any syringing any more as far as I know.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 04-Aug-13 12:49:01

DP uses his car key! <<boak>>
I watched a service user have his ear syringed once. A hairy lump of wax the size of a quails egg came out! How is that even possible???!!!!

Cheesyslice Sun 04-Aug-13 12:53:29

<wipes vomit from screen>

BeKindToYourKnees Sun 04-Aug-13 14:29:19

Wiggling your little finger in your ear is called 'wootleing' in our house.

I have been know to use an un-bent paperclip blush

Wellwobbly Sun 04-Aug-13 14:30:56

Poor Cheesy. It is an outer ear or a middle ear infection? Do you have to put drops down?

Ear infections are horrible.

The problem with using cotton buds for 'ear digging' is apart from the risk of doing some damage to your ear with them, they can actually make the problem worse. They're not very good at getting the wax out, more often than not they end up pushing most of it further in so it gets impacted. - Quite right.
I know someone who shoved the wax THROUGH her ear drum. She perforated her own ear using those damn things. She said she screamed with the pain.

(and got the GP imploring her not to use them speech)

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 04-Aug-13 14:41:04

Wiggling your little finger in your ear is called "Puggling" actually! HTH! grin

FamiliesShareGerms Sun 04-Aug-13 14:50:24

Apart from giving me itchy ears, this thread has reassured me that my mum is not completely unusual for using Kirby grips on us - I have never met anyone else who does this.

I disagree that all ears are self-cleaning: DS's are pristine (only thing about him that is); mine are moderately waxy; DH's are very waxy (he once didn't clean them for ages, went swimming and needed to use 30 ear buds to get the wax out...); and DD's have a very dark brown wax which suddenly appears and looks like earth in her ears.

MissTweed Sun 04-Aug-13 14:52:37

Wriggling your little finger in your ear here is called an "ear wank" blush

Cheesyslice Sun 04-Aug-13 15:24:15

ROAR @ 'ear wank'

grin

families 30???! Epic

Cheesyslice Sun 04-Aug-13 15:26:13

-I might try a kirby grip on my good ear later--

gobbin Sun 04-Aug-13 17:25:56

Love to get the little finger in (it's why we have them, surely?) and wiggle around, get suction then pop. Good stuff.

I have neat, pixie ears, so assumed I'd need neat, little earplugs when on the bike. Nahhh! My lugholes are the size of the Mersey tunnel apparently! It would explain why I never have much of a problem with earwax lol.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Sun 04-Aug-13 20:12:53

my Ds1 poked a bud in his ear when he was young, perforated his eardrum and he got an infection it developed into a Cholesteatoma, which is a cyst type thing behind the eardrum, it ate away the bones in his ear and he had to have several operations to clear the infection and rebuild the bones. It could have eroded his facial nerve leading to facial paralysis or if left untreated grown into a brain abscess which could have killed him shock so Step away from the cotton buds, kirby grips etc etc.

Cheesyslice Sun 04-Aug-13 20:21:50

Fucking hell. That is terrifying.

<increases dosage of antibiotics>

xylem8 Sun 04-Aug-13 20:23:52

The doctor prescribed me a steroid spray for an ear infection which was really really good.
I have used TCP (diluted )before which works wells

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now