Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

The Duke and Duchess gave their occupation as prince and princess of the United Kingdom on the birth certificate register

(152 Posts)
vivizone Sat 03-Aug-13 20:31:35

Thought their occupation was helicopter rescue pilot and housewife

"Princess of England" as an "Occupation" is ridiculous. The father's occupation is an RAF helicopter pilot. Prince, isn't an occupation.

These are titles not occupations. Or have I got this wrong?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23552087

specialsubject Sat 03-Aug-13 20:45:02

Kate's surname is Middleton, marriage has no official effect on a woman's name. However as she has started to be known as 'Duchess of Cambridge' and may be using her husband's surname, then it is Mountbatten-Windsor. (The royal family went to Windsor from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha when it became unfashionable to be German. Phil the Greek wasn't born with a surname, but adopted Mountbatten instead of Battenburg, and apparently got a bit miffed at being the only man in England at the time whose kids took his wife's name)

quite pleased that the mother's occupation is now on the birth certificate. Not sure when that came in. (probably quite a while ago I suppose)

as for the job: cutting ribbons, visiting places, opening things, general good works. All that won't fit in the box. :-)

LazyMonkeyButler Sat 03-Aug-13 20:45:28

Gutz, I would put that down to the birth probably being registered at a private visit to the hospital, as opposed to William & Kate having to trek down to the registrar themselves at a later date. I doubt the registrar would have had a computer/printer with them.

I love this.

You know if you're that jealous you can always change your name to princess.

HollyBerryBush Sat 03-Aug-13 20:46:23

Right - do you really think the reporter hasnt been and obtained a real copy from the registrars just like you or I or Uncle Tom Cobbley can legally do?

sparkle12mar08 Sat 03-Aug-13 20:46:28

It's not fake, the Registrar went to Kensington Palace to do it in person. That happens when you're in line to the throne grin

LazyMonkeyButler Sat 03-Aug-13 20:47:31

Just seen the date on the BC - 2nd August. Obviously a private visit to Kensington Palace then, rather than the hospital.

Seriously2712 Sat 03-Aug-13 20:47:54

I'm with you Cheesyslice - fab job title!
Where do I apply? ;-)

JustBecauseICan Sat 03-Aug-13 20:47:59

My birth certificate is written in blue fountain pen.

(is not because am princess, is because am old)

ClayDavis Sat 03-Aug-13 20:48:55

It was a private visit to Kensington Palace rather than the hospital. Wasn't that copy released by Kensington Palace? I doubt they'd be releasing a fake.

smokinaces Sat 03-Aug-13 20:49:25

I thought kates surname had changed - dianas did??

MintyChops Sat 03-Aug-13 20:49:28

Ah who cares! I'd hate her job, whatever it is. I still thing being a Sea Lord would be the coolest job title ever.....

Viviennemary Sat 03-Aug-13 20:51:15

I absolutely agree. Prince and Princess is their status not occupation. We might as well start writing Citizen of the UK on forms now as our occupations. In fact I might start doing that.

TerrysNo2 Sat 03-Aug-13 20:53:26

I want this job title

I am very envious that mine was so boring as to say Banker.

<oh to be the Princess of England>

ChippingInHopHopHop Sat 03-Aug-13 20:53:45

Yes, you are.

gutzgutz Sat 03-Aug-13 20:54:49

Ahhh blush

DinoSnores Sat 03-Aug-13 20:56:11

Prince and Princess of the UK is traditionally what is written in those boxes.

As titled HRHs, they don't have surnames, but can use Mountbatten-Windsor as they want, or their geographical designation, so William is William Wales at work.

BOF Sat 03-Aug-13 20:57:18

I suppose the title comes with 'duties', so it's an occupation. As somebody said, it's not as though KM could be described as a housewife.

Bogeyface Sat 03-Aug-13 20:57:21

I wanted to put Freelance Genius on my DD's BC but DH wouldnt let me grin

Trigglesx Sat 03-Aug-13 20:58:00

It says right in the article....

"A Kensington Palace spokesman said royal birth certificates conventionally featured the words prince and princess of the United Kingdom, or comparable formulations, as the parents' occupations."

Twattybollocks Sat 03-Aug-13 21:00:16

If they were going to handwritten it they could have at least found someone with neat handwriting!

BOF Sat 03-Aug-13 21:00:22

The registrar's handwriting is shocking, btw. I'd expect beautiful cursive script, not something that looks like it's been dashed off with a rollerball.

Twattybollocks Sat 03-Aug-13 21:00:40

Bloody autocorrect - hand write it!

Registrars still have to be able to write with a fountain pen. I applied for a deputy registrar job recently (but didn't get it, good really because it would have been a zero hours contract). I had to do a test involving writing out a certificate with a fountain pen. I know I did that bit really well as they commented on it.

ParsingFancy Sat 03-Aug-13 21:07:10

Historically, IIRC, that box on certificates was labelled "rank or profession" - I've seen it filled in as "gentleman" or "baronet".

SofiaVagueara Sat 03-Aug-13 21:09:45

Their surname is Windsor.

When George V changed the royal families name from the German Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (because of the world wars) to Windsor a proviso was made that it could not ever be changed to anything else, even if a female monarch married someone with a different surname it does not change.

The exception is the children of monarchs daughters, they take their fathers surname. But everybody else remains Windsor until they are well out of the direct line of succession.

They use the area related to their title often in the place of a surname, but their surname is Windsor.

Some people think Prince Charles might try and have the law changed to Mountbatten-Windsor or Windsor-Mountbatten but Windsor is the name of the royal house and therefore their surname.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now