Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

DD being fed spaghetti hoops for breakfast

(81 Posts)
Notimpressedhm Sat 03-Aug-13 11:40:48

DD is 11 and has gone for her intro/try out in preparation for her starting boarding school in September. She has informed me that she has had spaghetti hoops for breakfast, she has no problem with it but Aibu to think this is not acceptable? I would like to think she was being fed nutritionally the same as she would be at home confused

frogspoon Sat 03-Aug-13 16:20:19

Most decent boarding schools have a full varied range of food and alternate through popular choices. So maybe spaghetti hoops today, but perhaps veggie sausages yesterday and scrambled eggs tomorrow?
Also as it was just a taster day, there will be fewer students in school, therefore probably a smaller selection that average was provided. If you are still worried, contact the school and ask for a breakfast menu.

I'm going to be teaching in a boarding school in September, if you are interested, this is a selection of what the school is offering:

Every day: Cereals inc porridge, bread, toast and preserves, coffee, tea and juices, yoghurt and fruit
2 days a week: continental breakfast including pastries, cheeses and meats
Hot foods available on the remaining 4 days (not everything every day) include sausages, bacon, black pudding, eggs, french toast, beans, spaghetti hoops, hash browns and bubble and squeak.
On Sundays they have a brunch including full English, as well as weekly options such as omelettes, chocolate croissants, homemade sausage rolls, smoked haddock, baked brie wedges, chicken wings and paninis.

(unfortunately I will not be a live-in staff, so I will not get to sample this delicious food!)

Picturesinthefirelight Sat 03-Aug-13 16:46:00

I was wrong, they didn't have a cooked breakfast option dd has just told me but that might be because it was out if term time & also being a dance school they don't want to dance on a heavy breakfast.

Every day there was toast, cereal & fruit with jams & marmalade. Then each day there was another item eg bagels, breakfast waffles, croissant, muffins.

Dd was in her element she thought the choice was fantastic.

Lottiedoubtie Sat 03-Aug-13 18:02:33

frogspoon play your cards right and lots of non-resident staff get breakfast IME ;-)

trinity0097 Sat 03-Aug-13 18:14:13

Frogspoon I am a non resident in a school with some bording and have every breakfast at school, and if I want to stay for supper this isn't a problem, I just have to sign up by lunchtime. Breakfast is also available on days that we don't have any boarders in.

My (non-vegetarian) DD will happily make herself beans on toast for breakfast. Healthier than alot of the cereals out there.

slapandpickle your value spaghetti'n'croissants combo sounds like a meal born of desperation when you are starving and the cupboard is empty delicious wink

frogspoon Sat 03-Aug-13 20:27:40

My (non-vegetarian) DD will happily make herself beans on toast for breakfast. Healthier than alot of the cereals out there.

Check the brand of beans you are getting, many are packed with sugar and salt, more than a bowl of cereal (obviously depends on the cereal!)

A serving of heinz baked beans (half a can) contains 10.3g of sugar and 1.3g of salt

A serving of kelloggs corn flakes with milk contains 9g of sugar and 0.55g of salt

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now