To think that this should not be every little girl's dream?

(135 Posts)
IForgotMyPencil Fri 02-Aug-13 18:34:19

Just been watching the 6 o'clock news on the BBC, where Fiona Bruce claimed it was "every little girl's dream" to be able to write her occupation as "Princess". Following on from the Duchess of Cambridge entering "Princess of the UK" as her occupation when registering her son's birth. Am I being unreasonable to think that there are other things little girl's should aspire to be? And for that matter, the BBC should not be enforcing the stereotype that all little girls want to be princesses! hmm

When I was young I wanted to be a boy. Why settle for princess when you can be king?! grin

Tee2072 Fri 02-Aug-13 18:36:33

Interesting. Huffington Post says Will filled out the form.

When my son was born, it was done on a computer...

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MiaowTheCat Fri 02-Aug-13 18:37:37

Don't go into Mothercare at the moment if you're easily offended in this kind of way - they're flogging sparkly pink babygros with "when I grow up I want to marry a prince"

I was irked.

Amrapaali Fri 02-Aug-13 18:38:27

Another brilliant reason to abolish the monarchy.

SalaciousBCrumb Fri 02-Aug-13 18:41:35

Agree with you.

Tee ours too - but then, the registrar didn't do a home visit for you or me - home visit means no access to the computer system!

SamuelAndOscarsMummy Fri 02-Aug-13 18:41:42

This sort of thing makes me glad I have boys!

SamuelAndOscarsMummy Fri 02-Aug-13 18:43:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kinkyfuckery Fri 02-Aug-13 18:45:06

Fuck that, I'm 29 and would love to be a princess - if for nothing else but to have someone train me how to wear heels grin

kinkyfuckery Fri 02-Aug-13 18:45:36

SamuelandOscarsMummy - your boys might still wanna be princesses yunno wink

NicknameIncomplete Fri 02-Aug-13 18:47:42

My 9 yr old wants to be just about everything when she grows up but being a princess doesnt get a mention.

foreverondiet Fri 02-Aug-13 18:48:43

I didn't think she was formally made a princess?

Tee2072 Fri 02-Aug-13 18:49:06

Ours was actually done in the hospital via laptop so, yes, remote access! And this was 4 years ago.

Panzee Fri 02-Aug-13 18:50:26

My niece stated she wanted to be a princess. We told her that as she wasn't a royal, she had to either marry a prince or stage a military coup. So it's not all about marriage. smile

FriskyMare Fri 02-Aug-13 18:50:51

Thought the same thing foreveronadiet, surely she is a duchess not a princess.

Grrrrrrrrrr

Prozacbear Fri 02-Aug-13 18:54:09

shrug DS told me he wants to be Africa when he grows up ... at least Princess is within the dimension of possibility.

But seriously, Fiona Bruce needs to retract.

Tee2072 Fri 02-Aug-13 18:56:15

That is correct, she is not a princess. That's why I think it's fake.

Surely he would put his rank, not his title?

Wbdn28 Fri 02-Aug-13 18:56:28

YANBU

VerySmallSqueak Fri 02-Aug-13 18:56:33

DD2's view on this is that she wants to be a vet and nah she doesn't want to be a princess cos there's just too much stuff and they'd all fuss over her. She's 7,so it's definitely not my little girls dream.....

Thank goodness.

TroublesomeEx Fri 02-Aug-13 18:58:39

I wanted to be a farmer's wife.

Never wanted to be a princess.

GameSetAndMatch Fri 02-Aug-13 18:58:58

i would think given some of the role models around a little girl would aspire to be eithera glamour model or go on x factor.!!

Fakebook Fri 02-Aug-13 19:03:03

I wanted to be a tomato....because of some advert back in the late 80's early 90's. it was really cool to want to be a tomato in our playground...weird!

IfIonlyhadsomesleep Fri 02-Aug-13 19:03:55

I would mind my dds genuinely aspiring to be anything that was as unlikely and impossible to work towards as being a princess. This isn't the Philippa Gregory style Plantagenet era. But I wouldn't mind my seven year old saying it. I believe that when I was seven I was a bit gutted that Prince Charles got married but relieved that he had two brothers. While she still believes in Father Christmas and the tooth fairy I'm not too worried.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now