Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To wonder why 'to text' has no past tense?

(174 Posts)
alicetrefusis Fri 02-Aug-13 17:11:26

confused

Drives me crazy too OP! I've seen it being used recently by well-educated friends and have been forced to correct them!

FloozeyLoozey Fri 02-Aug-13 17:19:11

I say "texted".

Bowlersarm Fri 02-Aug-13 17:19:18

.....ah, but invite is a much better word. Sort of, punchier?

alicetrefusis Fri 02-Aug-13 17:19:44

Hi EvieAnne...slightly horrified actually that I have accepted 'to text' as a verb at some impure, subconscious level...

<hoiks bosom>

And how about 'I was sat'

Eh? eh?

Invite is a verb. It is an action word and that is why it may be punchier. But one does not send or receive an invite - one invites.

EvieanneVolvic Fri 02-Aug-13 17:20:38

Sort of, punchier?

you're probably right Bowler because that's just what it makes me want to do!

Ok so just me that just says 'text' then? grin

EvieanneVolvic Fri 02-Aug-13 17:23:28

And how about 'I was sat'

Well that's abhorrent too, of course, but I sort of have a soft spot for that because Hylda Baker (the Miranda of the 60s) always used to say 'he were sat sitting there...' in a totally comical way <dodges a few more coffins on the way out>

SarahNoDuck Fri 02-Aug-13 17:24:21

Texted.
Invitation.

And might I offer up the other punch-worthy trend of using "draw" to mean "drawer". angry

I also absolutely hate it when the pupils at school write, 'I was sitting there' in their stories. Sitting where, fgs?

Bowlersarm Fri 02-Aug-13 17:25:32

But language should be fluid. Adaptable.

You don't just want to be stuck in the same old rut do you?

Otherwise we'd still be saying 'ye olde shoppe, young sire' (that is pronounced oldie and shoppie, by the way)

squoosh Fri 02-Aug-13 17:26:52

Yes, if rigid languages are your thing take up Latin or ancient Greek.

Language should be fluid, yes - but blatant inaccuracy doesn't fluidity make. It just makes people look daft.

SarahNoDuck Fri 02-Aug-13 17:28:37

There's fluid and there is plain annoying. grin

EvieanneVolvic Fri 02-Aug-13 17:28:53

Yes, if rigid languages are your thing take up Latin or ancient Greek.

They are and I did!

But there is a subtle difference between language between language being adapted and evolving, and its being vandalised!

Ugh. TextED obviously.

Pet hate of mine, right up there with "should of, would of, could of".

Bowlersarm apparently it was spelled "ye" but pronounced "the", the y being an obsolete shortand way of writing the phomene "th".

So The Oldeee Shoppeee. grin

valiumredhead Fri 02-Aug-13 17:29:39

Normal rules, it's texted.

LadyMilfordHaven Fri 02-Aug-13 17:29:40

er its texted

EvieanneVolvic Fri 02-Aug-13 17:29:47

Oh shit! One too many 'between languages' in there. There's vandalism!

NadiaWadia Fri 02-Aug-13 17:29:47

Saying(eg) 'I text her last night', as many people do, just sounds weird as if there is something missing.

Bowlersarm Fri 02-Aug-13 17:29:57

As more and more people use those words, the 'daft' will become the majority.

It's texted.

It does make my teeth itch though, as does any noun appropriated as a verb. (See 'gifting', 'scrapbooking', etc).

Wuldric Fri 02-Aug-13 17:30:19

The 'stationary bits' thread is also giving me rage.

LadyMilfordHaven Fri 02-Aug-13 17:31:35

i think we should have a vote whereby MN can edit misspelled thread titles

almapudden Fri 02-Aug-13 17:32:08

Yes the 'y' is an Anglo-Saxon letter called thorn, I think. It makes the soft 'th' sound: this rather than think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now