It turns my stomach to see dogs on beds in advertisements, films etc...

(108 Posts)
duchesse Fri 02-Aug-13 15:04:04

And I'm actually a dog owner!

I just can't help thinking about the fur, the dirty paws, the worms, fleas and ticks, the things they lick, the way they lick their genitals and anus, even their disgusting flipping food. Even clean dogs are filthy compared to my bed. There is no way in god's earth that my dogs are ever even coming upstairs, let alone sleeping in/on my bed!

Why are dogs on beds sold as an attractive lifestyle notion?

<eurgh!> <shudder>

edam Sat 10-Aug-13 11:36:39

When we got our first cat, dh (who had never had a cat, or dog, before) announced firmly 'she's not allowed in the bedroom, I'll shut the door at night'. I pointed out this was a. mean b. destined to fail. He lasted two nights of the cat pawing at the door... grin

Nothing nicer than curling up to a nice warm cat at night. Although fighting for the pillow is a big of a bugger.

Dogs, on the other hand, are slobbery and far too BIG but I am prepared to believe that dog owners just don't see it. Up to them what they do in the privacy of their own home and all that.

When I left home, my sister got a dog. I was dubious but went home from university and fell in love with the daft, cheeky mutt. He worked out v quickly that I was a soft touch and the one who was likely to wake up first - he used to burst open my bedroom door when he reckoned it was time to get up, and take a flying leap onto my bed. Which got me up PDQ as he was the size of an Alsatian...

livinginwonderland Sat 10-Aug-13 11:42:29

Cats on worktops shock [shock}

hahaha, unless you lock them out, you can't stop them. Our kitchen doesn't have a door, it just opens off the corridor and no matterhohew many times you move them/chuck them off/tell them off, they go back. Whenever I walk into the kitchen, I hear the telltale "thump" of the cats jumping onto the floor!

edam Sat 10-Aug-13 12:28:53

I've never had a cat that was allowed on the worktops, and never had a problem keeping them off. Odd your experience is so different.

PrettyKitty1986 Sat 10-Aug-13 12:49:44

Yadnbu

I would never let a dog on my bed, or my sofas.

Even the cleanest dogs still smell doggy - the thought of the dog jumping off the sofa and then me sitting on it in a work outfit for instance - ugh.

My mum lets her dogs go anywhere and I just think it's horrible tbh.

PrettyKitty1986 Sat 10-Aug-13 12:52:10

Also have a cat who doesn't go on the work tops. Every so often she'll try her luck and get pushed straight down. It's certainly not a problem or frequently though!

Pantone363 Sat 10-Aug-13 13:05:22

YANBU

It's grim, our dog isn't even allowed upstairs let alone on anyone's bed. No sofas either.

Total favouritism in this house. Bigger dog stays downstairs, but he does sneakily kip on the sofa.

Little dog sleeps upstairs in someone's bed all night. It varies - mostly she sleeps tucked in behind my legs, sometimes in DS's bed. We also let the dogs lick the plates when we have finished eating

littlewhitebag Sat 10-Aug-13 15:59:28

My lab is allowed upstairs as she likes being wherever we are. She is not allowed on the beds but my eldest DD sneaks her onto her bed so I often find her curled up there.

She also likes my beautiful chaise longue in the sunroom as it is an excellent place to watch over the garden for rogue rabbits too bark at. I have given up trying to keep her off it and now just cover it with a blanket to keep it clean.

I am on holiday right now and am missing her and her snuggly stinky hugs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now