It turns my stomach to see dogs on beds in advertisements, films etc...

(108 Posts)
duchesse Fri 02-Aug-13 15:04:04

And I'm actually a dog owner!

I just can't help thinking about the fur, the dirty paws, the worms, fleas and ticks, the things they lick, the way they lick their genitals and anus, even their disgusting flipping food. Even clean dogs are filthy compared to my bed. There is no way in god's earth that my dogs are ever even coming upstairs, let alone sleeping in/on my bed!

Why are dogs on beds sold as an attractive lifestyle notion?

<eurgh!> <shudder>

everlong Fri 02-Aug-13 19:48:29

Piss.
So comforting and warm.
My cat will sneak in next to my chest in a warm ball.

<happy sigh> I'm away at the mo and missing them like maad.

I just love spooning with the dog. She is just so cuddly!

How about this for disgusting - dog has just started nibbling the dead skin on my feet. Kind a tickles!

everlong Fri 02-Aug-13 20:00:50

Spooning! LOL. Love it.

Meh. We bought a superking sized bed just so we could fit the dogs on too.
A Doodle stretched right out, upside down along the bottom and a Staffy wedged between me and DP up at the pillows.

Think I can beat that Wholet - shortly after DS was born, and I was leaking milk, I would frequently be woken by dog 'helpfully' cleaning the front of my pyjama top. grin

Has the OP finished throwing up yet?

YoniBottsBumgina Fri 02-Aug-13 20:18:01

Ah, well, we don't have toilets so perhaps not! As you were wink

MissBetseyTrotwood Fri 02-Aug-13 20:18:51

I do remember a thread on here where the OP had just (accidentally) BFed her dog.

Ours reserve their visits to our bed for thunderstorms and fireworks. They are vair large. There would be no room for us if they were to share. Instead, their beds are at the foot of ours.

My dogs sleep in the stable.

Shoot me grin

kali110 Fri 02-Aug-13 21:51:00

My one cat can give your grey hounds a run for your money in terms of laziness. He doesnt go out anywhere. If im home he spends day in bed with me on my lap or by my feet. He'll go get food before bed and then guard my landing for any intruding cats ( which we do get as one is now a member of the family) then in early hours comes in and makes dp move down so he can sleep on his pillow or he'll come and lie on my face.
Plus i have the hedgehog and rabbit running on the bed every night anyway.
Its always amusing when dp steps or lies on one of her quills, really makes my day!

Elphaba grin

bruffin Fri 02-Aug-13 22:02:08

Vestansknicker
Would rather sleep with my tortoise than my cat. He couldn't jump up and down on me at 4am which are cat does if we let her sleep with us.

CominThroughTheWry Fri 02-Aug-13 22:16:54

LittleLab has never been on my bed, she just doesn't like to leave the comfort of her sofa.

But I would give all I have to have just one more morning cuddle with my sadly missed GentleLab.

Dog hair, wind, fidgeting, hogging the bed and all.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Fri 02-Aug-13 22:26:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Alohomora Fri 02-Aug-13 22:32:10

My dog doesn't get to sleep with us every night, it would drive me crazy if she did - but she is allowed up for the odd nap and I have no real issue with her bouncing up on the bed for a bit as long as she gets off when I tell her to.

[now, the bigger problem is the stealthy cat that has figured out that if she hides under the bed until the light is off and nobody moves she can then jump up and snuggly up at the bottom off the bed without being evicted - she's going to take over the world, that one!]

Canidae Fri 02-Aug-13 23:02:49

The Golden is asleep with her head on my pillow. I will have to shove her over when I get in bed.

ClartyCarol Fri 02-Aug-13 23:05:39

No way - if our dog slept on the bed there'd be no room for me or dh, he sheds hair all year round no matter how much he's groomed, his breath is not the sweetest, and how on earth does one have spontaneous marital relations with a 40kg small pony snoring away beside you?

He's not allowed on sofas either.

SignoraStronza Fri 02-Aug-13 23:39:09

YANBU. Our dog has fluffy hind quarters and I dread to think what might be lurking there (despite daily brushing). She's a gsd though, so not allowed upstairs anyway as we'd like her hips to remain in good nick.

Despite her wistful looks the sofa remains mine all mine too. grin

Whenever I stay at a household with cats I have to take an anti histamine, as their fur on the bed makes my eyes itch to buggery. I loathe cats though - filthy little rat traps.wink

Bloody love the Messy Bed design. Wonder if I can persuade DH he'd love it too...

I loved my cat sleeping in bed with us. He would find the space between the pillows and snuggle between us. Miss it dreadfully now he's gone. New cats only sleep on the bed during the day and are nowhere near as snuggly.

GrimmaTheNome Sat 03-Aug-13 00:00:24

Elph - yes, dachshunds are perfect bed-dogs. Other dogs just have too much leg! grin

Mine's a standard short haired - extremely clean, wormed regularly, never had a flea. He doesn't lick his bum - can't reach! (yeah, I have to wipe him occasionally but easy on a shorthaired dog) ... perhaps not coincidentally he doesn't have bad dog-breath.

Unfortunately he has a bad habit of jumping down to vigourously shake his ears and then pretending he can't get back up without help, so in a moment I'll have to take him down to his own bed. But he's lovely in the morning and DD has him when she's going to sleep.

MidniteScribbler Sat 03-Aug-13 00:02:08

To each their own.

My dogs sleep in the bed. No fleas, bed bugs or any other nasties. They're all certified to be able to go to nursing homes and hospitals, so if they're legally considered clean enough to go in to a children's cancer ward, then they're clean enough for my bed.

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Sat 03-Aug-13 00:09:06

Is I wrong I want a co-sleeper for my dog like in your second link?

blush

GrimmaTheNome Sat 03-Aug-13 00:09:19

Kali... hedgehog? shock Sure they're cute but not exactly cuddly!

Just looked at the OPs links...my dog would love that second contraption with the steps - though I doubt he'd stay in his own bit.

GrimmaTheNome Sat 03-Aug-13 00:11:04

But anyway, OP, - if you've got a dirty, flea and tick infested dog and you feed it disgusting food, then of course YANBU wink

PresidentServalan Sat 03-Aug-13 13:32:21

Two of my cats sleep at the bottom of my bed but my other one sleeps under the duvet - I have never had much choice and I love it!

kali110 Sat 03-Aug-13 14:10:13

Shes a pygmy. Shes very cuddly! She lies on my or dp chest and goes to sleep. When shes happy her spikes dont stick out so it doesnt hurt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now