It turns my stomach to see dogs on beds in advertisements, films etc...

(108 Posts)
duchesse Fri 02-Aug-13 15:04:04

And I'm actually a dog owner!

I just can't help thinking about the fur, the dirty paws, the worms, fleas and ticks, the things they lick, the way they lick their genitals and anus, even their disgusting flipping food. Even clean dogs are filthy compared to my bed. There is no way in god's earth that my dogs are ever even coming upstairs, let alone sleeping in/on my bed!

Why are dogs on beds sold as an attractive lifestyle notion?

<eurgh!> <shudder>

I don't mind seeing dogs on furniture (because I don't have one) but I don't like it.
I don't like dogs licking plates
dogs 'kissing' (ie licking) faces
And the most gag-inducing...
DD was watching Dog with a Blog on Disney (FFS) . The girl was going to allow Talking Dog to lick her feet.
I was (vom vom) and made DD turn over....

No we don't not that polite blush but if you know what I'm talking about you may well be the same industry grin

One word-toilets <shudder>

buttermellow Fri 02-Aug-13 15:49:56

You'd be disgusted with me grin

I often lie in bed with 3 cats and the dog, I rub noses with the cats.. and allow them to lick my face, woke up the other night to one staring at me and licking my nose!

I also share ice lollies with the dog on a hot day.

I will also when needed dispose of mice/voles in the garden - unless they've been there for more than 24 hours..

musicposy Fri 02-Aug-13 15:57:40

Dog sleeps on the bed and that is fine by me. She seems to me to be a relatively clean dog. She has white fur and it always looks white. She certainly does not have fleas <looks affronted>

DH sleeps in the bed too. That's why I change the sheets regularly grin

tabulahrasa Fri 02-Aug-13 16:08:14

"I don't mind seeing dogs on furniture (because I don't have one) but I don't like it.
I don't like dogs licking plates
dogs 'kissing' (ie licking) faces
And the most gag-inducing...
DD was watching Dog with a Blog on Disney (FFS) . The girl was going to allow Talking Dog to lick her feet.
I was (vom vom) and made DD turn over...."

Well I don't see any need for dogs to be licking plates, ever, but as for licking you...

You know how you wouldn't let someone else's toddler wipe snot on you while hugging you, or give you a big drooly kiss - but it kind of almost doesn't really register when yours does it? I mean if you stop to think about it some other time, you'd be going ew, that's disgusting...but when it's your toddler showing you affection you just take the hug or the kiss and don't really think about the snot or drool?

It's a bit like that, lol

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 02-Aug-13 16:09:26

That designer dog beds genius.

<misses point of thread>

I don't get this. Unless you wash and disinfect yourself every night, your bed is going to be full of "stuff" anyway: sweat, hairs, flaked off skin, random dirt and dust etc
And if you ever have a child in there too, then there's even more!

YANBU if you feel the way you do about it, but YABU if you expect everyone else to agree or be so disgusted by it.

i'm fairly certain that we are dirtier than the cat, judging by all the washing that goes on at the end of the bed every evening grin

Wasapea Fri 02-Aug-13 16:29:32

I would much rather be licked by a dog than have snot wiped on me by a child. Yeuch. Would also rather co-sleep with my cats than a child, but DH won't let me wink

livinginwonderland Fri 02-Aug-13 16:34:33

I don't have a dog but the kittens sleep on our bed. I kiss them on the nose and they've been known to lick my face and DP's face and our eyes and lips. They're indoor cats and all their jabs etc. are up to date, so they're not dirty, so it's whatever. I love them, so the "germy" thing doesn't bother me.

sophiedaal Fri 02-Aug-13 16:46:44

My dogs are a bit whiffy, and I don't let them sleep on the bed in case they fell off and hurt their backs. But it's the ultimate treat in the world for them to climb on the supercomfy bed that also smells of me, and to cuddle up for a nap, so once in a while, just before I change the linen, I let them. And it's nice.

cocolepew Fri 02-Aug-13 16:57:45

My dog always sleeps on the bed. Usually leaning against my legs or on them. One morning I woke up and she had crawled under the covers and was sleeping with her head on my pillow.
It was like the horses head scene from The Godfather, scared the crap out of me.

WestieMamma Fri 02-Aug-13 16:59:46

My dog woke me up by being sick on my feet last night.

I'm with you OP, its gross. Animals are grubby.
I do love them a lot, but they are stinky and don't wipe their bottoms/ noses/ anything else and they don't wash their hands. And roll in poop.

selsigfach Fri 02-Aug-13 17:36:13

My collie is the best bed companion. She loves snuggles and, unlike DH, never complains that I'm making her too hot or stealing the duvet. She has been known to fart though (Dh is most put out at it being cute/funny when the dog does it but it's completely unacceptable when he farts in bed!).

melika Fri 02-Aug-13 17:43:45

Yep, been there with the dog in the bed with us. She was my first dog and we worshiped her. But used to get me down when I had just changed the bed and she would come in from the garden, run upstairs and put muddy prints all over it. So when she died, the next dog wasn't allowed up the stairs at all. It's great no hair or anything. YANBU OP!

Our dogs (also greyhounds - a theme emerging?) often hop up on the bed with us. Dogs receive worm and flea treatments regularly, have short, fine coats and are groomed regularly. Bed is changed every five days or more often and bedding washed at a high temperature, and ironed.

There are regularly threads on here where people proudly say that they only change their beds every fortnight or longer - to me, that's equally repulsive.

MothershipG Fri 02-Aug-13 19:00:19

Your hang ups, entirely your right to set rules in your house but you sound a bit uptight to me. wink

Two out of my 3 dogs sleep with DH and I, the other chooses her own bed. They are of the small and non-smelly variety though, I could understand not wanting big, hairy, smelly dogs in the bed. What kind is yours?

My dogs don't have poo crumbs.

Tortoise Fri 02-Aug-13 19:11:24

My greyhound pretty much took over one sofa as his own! He doesn't leave much space for anyone else. In the winter he stands next to my bed whining until I lift the cover for him to get in! Not a problem as I already have my Jack Russell in my bed. He gives lovely cuddles and kisses.

CocacolaMum Fri 02-Aug-13 19:19:18

I don't freak out at adverts but my beagle is 8 and has never been allowed to go upstairs. I certainly wouldn't allow her to sleep on the bed. If she didn't shed so much bloody hair I might but the thought of all that hair in the bed is gross. Bad enough having OH in the bed tbh

everlong Fri 02-Aug-13 19:30:36

Nothing on earth like a snooze with a dog or cat.
Nothing I tell ya.

Lovely, clean, sleek, flea-and-tick-free co-sleeping dachshunds in Chez Elph. Minis at the moment, but my dearly departed standard sausage dog was dee-light-ful to sleep with back-to-back (yes, him under the covers with me) - like a big, warm bolster pillow. Way more comfortable than my sweaty husband.

YABU.

froubylou Fri 02-Aug-13 19:45:36

My whippet would love to sleep with us but I don't let her. Unless we are having an afternoon nap on the sofa. I don't let her upstairs as my DP has a stoma fitted and she has a tendency to steal used bags out of his bin and either shake them really hard to make sure its dead. Or take them to bed with her. Boak.

But yabu to judge others. My dog has had a bath today and smells nicer than my DP.

everlong Fri 02-Aug-13 19:46:50

My cocker does that back to back thing. So comfirt

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now