To not take back this dress

(31 Posts)
Hemlet Fri 02-Aug-13 10:23:05

I sold a dress to a friend of mine, not a good friend but someone I know through others. I sold it to her over a week ago and dropped it round to her about 4 days after she paid for it due to her not giving me her address despite asking when i could take it round several times.

She's contacted me today to say she's tried it on and it doesn't fit. I don't have the money to give back to her and I can't return it to where I originally got it from (ebay). She's laid a massive guilt trip on me saying "I guess I've learnt my lesson not to buy off people".

I'd have been happy to take it back off her if she'd tried it on a day or so after I'd dropped it over but a week later the money is long gone. I'm on maternity leave and don't have a spare £25 lying around.

Am I being unreasonable not to refund her?

ThisWayForCrazy Fri 02-Aug-13 10:28:24

No YANBU. There is nothing wrong with the dress, it's not ruined or miss sold, it just doesn't fit her, which is not your problem.

I would reply saying "Oh, I'm really sorry about that. I'm sure you'll be able to sell it on"

She should really have asked to try it on first. You aren't a shop and have no obligations.

I'd recommend she try to sell it on again.

CustardOmlet Fri 02-Aug-13 10:29:05

I think she summed it up herself, never mix friendship with money. She should have tried it before buying it from you.

I think it depends how you sold it... Ebay, FB, 'oh such and such is looking for that' etc.

Hemlet Fri 02-Aug-13 10:30:24

Yeah I've suggested she put it on eBay or Facebook to sell it on but all I got back was 'I can't use eBay and no-ones going to pay £25 for it on Facebook'.

I sold it to her via Facebook.

Cherriesarelovely Fri 02-Aug-13 10:32:05

How silly that she didn't try it on first! What a strange comment "no-one's going to pay £25 for it on fbook" when that is where she bought it!

Hemlet Fri 02-Aug-13 10:38:25

There was a photo and I told her that if it didn't fit I would take it back if she tried it on that day or the next and she was all 'Oh no no that's Ok' so I think it's unfair she's laying this on me now.

grin what an idiot.

DoctorRobert Fri 02-Aug-13 10:39:36

YANBU. You're not a shop.

Cherriesarelovely Fri 02-Aug-13 10:40:46

Well that's that then. Refer her back to your previous message and say that over a week is taking the mickey. Some people can BVU!

Hemlet Fri 02-Aug-13 10:43:15

Thanks you've all made me feel better. I just feel really bad that she's making out that I'm being a bitch because I won't refund her.

Crinkle77 Fri 02-Aug-13 10:44:35

yanbu. you offered her a refund if she tried it on that day or the next and she said no. It's pretty clear cut to me.

See I'd probably refund. She was silly not to try it on but it's hardly her fault it doesn't fit. Most of us have got stuff home in our size that doesn't fit when u tried it on.

It's not your fault it doesn't fit but it's not her fault you have t got the money to refund either. Just one of those things. I'd personally would just refund her and sell it on myself.

oscarwilde Fri 02-Aug-13 10:49:34

You could just tell her that the money is gone and if she'd tried it on immediately it wouldn't have been a problem. You could offer to sell it on for her and give her the money if she doesn't have an ebay account?

Cherriesarelovely Fri 02-Aug-13 10:50:31

That probably means you are a nice considerate person who doesn't like to fall out with people. That doesn't mean you have to be a doormat though. You gave her perfectly reasonable suggestion , try it on in the next day or so, and she chose to ignore that. Hope she leaves you alone!

Cherriesarelovely Fri 02-Aug-13 10:52:14

Or go with OscarWilde's suggestion if you are feeling very generous!

The whole post just shouts "I can't return it to eBay so I'm not going to let her return it to me" just seems a bit petty.

I'm sure the op doesn't mean it like that and that I'm just interpreting it wrong but I don't agree it's worth loosing a friend over.

But then I've bought stuff before and thought to myself, ill try it on later, then kids are up late or we have to rush out and before I know it , it has been a few days. If this friend isn't usually the difficult sort I'd give her the benefit if the doubt that's all.

I'd never buy something I couldn't return though but that's just me.

pudcat Fri 02-Aug-13 11:06:17

Are you sure it doesn't fit, or has she worn to an event and now has no more use for it?

Hemlet Fri 02-Aug-13 11:06:44

If I had the money I'd refund her caffinedrip. I can't magic it out of thin air. I'm struggling as it is which is why I'm selling my things. I told her that I'd refund her if there was any problem a couple of days later which she refused anyway.

I literally don't have the money to give her. As I said she's not a good friend, more an acquaintance, I like to keep people happy but I'm not getting enough money to be able to give someone £25 just like that.

Hemlet Fri 02-Aug-13 11:09:20

I don't know her well enough to know whether she is normally difficult or not.

Turniptwirl Fri 02-Aug-13 11:12:53

Yanbu as she's had it ages before bothering to try it on. If she tried it on straight away and it didn't fit you'd have refunded her and sold it on to someone else but after this long you reasonably assumed it was fine and spent the money

eBay is extremely easy to use and often has free listing weekends so she's being daft to say she can't sell it on herself

BlueGoddess Fri 02-Aug-13 11:13:14

If she's laying the guilt trip on you, then do the same back....something like

"I'm really sorry, but that money has gone on food for the kids this week now!" wink

Ooh that's a good shout pud - she's worn it already and doesn't need it any more or doesn't like it as much as she hoped to shock

Fallout1977 Fri 02-Aug-13 11:17:13

It's not your job to make sure it fit anyway as you are not a shop. She should have tried it on before she paid for it or except the consequences of that mistake. She is just being super lazy and can't be arsed to put it on eBay or fb. Don't worry about it and stand your ground.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now