I'm a hypocrite, aren't I? (Breast feeding, ILs)

(28 Posts)

I have no problem breast feeding in public. I don't hide away in a changing room. For example, I BF on a bench in the middle of a shopping centre yesterday. I don't drape anything over myself to 'hide' my boob, I just discretely pull down my top or whatever. If I'm wearing two tops, then one up, one down. So, I not flaunt anything, but I'm not shy (as long as its for BF).

PIL are coming to visit next week. I feel really awkward at the thought of BF in front of FIL. (I was sat next to my own dad in the shopping centre yesterday). I don't want to BF in the same room as him at home. We're all going out for dinner one night, so I'll almost certainly need to BF at the restaurant, which I see as slightly less of a problem for a reason I can't explain, but still slightly weird with PIL there.

I don't think I ever BF DD1 in front of FIL, (definitely did in front of MIL), but we didn't see them that much.

WIBU to leave the room to BF in private? It seems very rude and hypocritical, doesn't it?

Emilythornesbff Fri 02-Aug-13 10:41:38

YANBU
It's also a great excuse to leave the room. Go watch some tv grin
Oh, that was a big feed. Hungry baby.

runes Fri 02-Aug-13 10:44:29

Yanbu. In an ideal world everyone would feel comfortable bfing anywhere and noone would bat an eyelid, unfortunately in reality alot of people do feel a bit uncomfortable in certain situations. Just do whatever you feel comfortable with, it's not your personal responsibility to change everyones attitude/experience.

rednellie Fri 02-Aug-13 10:45:44

YANBU, I felt like this at the start with my IL's especially as my MIL had a disconcerting way of talking about my boobs/nipples/whatever in a VERY loud voice. She even once said to one of my babies: Who wants some nipply nipples? In a cafe. Urgh

Anyway, do it where you feel comfortable and it's an added advantage to bf that it gives you a perfect excuse to go somewhere else and have a bit of quiet time with your LO

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now