Or is 'crap' not a word a 3 & 6 year old should use?

(47 Posts)
devonsmummy Thu 01-Aug-13 20:54:40

Ds age 6 - dad what's a slum?
'D'H - it's a craphole
Me - er, that's swearing
Kids in fits of giggles while dh saying crap's not swearing
So who's right?

2rebecca Thu 01-Aug-13 22:31:09

Live it in Scotland, use crap quite alot and knackered. Never considered either of them remotely offensive or sweary.
I'll happily talk about making crap decisions and being knackered.
No idea at what age my kids started saying crap. It didn't seem important.

2rebecca Thu 01-Aug-13 22:34:36

Bloody is a swear word. Crap is just an adjective. I'd never talk about making a bloody decision, that just sounds like I used the wrong carving knife. For most people bloody is just an unnecessary extra word, like fucking.
Crap is descriptive.

Still18atheart Thu 01-Aug-13 22:40:32

In my eyes Crap is swearing but at the very least it's a grown up word, which means that it's inappropriate for someone under the age of about 16 to say it.

Bogeyface Thu 01-Aug-13 22:45:47

Its one of the those words that if I over hear the kids saying in a giggly, lets hope mum doesnt hear, kind of way then I let it go. Anything above that on the sweary scale gets and "OI!!!" which funnily enough includes "Damn it" which is 11 yr old DD's latest favourite. She says it isnt swearing, which it isnt but for some reason I find that far more offensive from her mouth than fart, crap and knackered. They are all borderline words.

If it was said in an angry sweary way then I would be onto it, but it isnt it is said in a whispery "its CRAP!" followed by giggling at their own daring.

Bogeyface Thu 01-Aug-13 22:46:46

2rebecca sadly, Fucking is an unnecessary extra word in my life too at the moment wink

2rebecca Thu 01-Aug-13 23:00:05

Fart is a borderline word? Do you make them say flatulence then?
Not sure what the verb is "you flatulated?"
It's another descriptive word I don't find remotely offensive. Farting in public is unpleasant, the word itself is fine.
Fucking is the other way round! (Not usually in public getting to old for that now)

Bogeyface Thu 01-Aug-13 23:02:55

Fart is fine at home, but something that I dont like them saying in company as it seems to split the room (the word, not the action.....although probably that too!) I worry about being judged blush

I havent fucked in anyway for quite a long time, so not an issue verbally or otherwise grin

lottiegarbanzo Thu 01-Aug-13 23:13:45

Well I'd certainly say that was a crap explanation of what a slum is!

Your DH has used crap to mean shit, which is its ruder meaning and, I think, not appropriate for a child. Shithole is a horrible phrase for a child to know or use.

Using 'a bit crap' to mean 'rubbish' is more acceptable but I still wouldn't be encouraging it in a 6yo.

2rebecca Thu 01-Aug-13 23:25:19

I'd find the term craphole offensive, but not because it has the word "crap" in it but because it sounds offensive and crude, is fairly meaningless in this context apart from making a slum sound nasty and negative which i suppose they are, and doesn't answer the child's question.

Bogeyface Fri 02-Aug-13 00:31:00

I agree. A slum is somewhere that a family lives because they have no other choice and the OPs DH could have used that as an opportunity to show his children how different things are throughout the world. Instead he dismissed it with an insult, or at least it feels insulting to me, like they choose to live like that.

Bellebois Fri 02-Aug-13 00:36:55

www.letstalkcrap.co.nz/

I am currently on holiday in NZ and this campaign is all over the place in the region I am staying in... Radio, TV etc

Kiwis are notorious for using 'loose' language though, in the media, and of course, it filters through into daily use. A few years ago the best/most popular advert on TV used the word 'bloody' as in 'bloody hell' ... It is common to hear adults and kids use both words here I would say (amongst others!)

auntmargaret was the teacher antipodean by any chance??!

As a primary school teacher myself, I would not let children use either word in my classroom, although it is certainly not as bad as others that are regularly heard in the playground.

ARealDame Fri 02-Aug-13 00:43:54

Crap is a swearword IMO; and I discourage my son from using it. It means shit. I'm tired of hearing this everything's "crap" or "shit", even amongst naice, educated young people.

Whatever happened to the beauty of English language?

Bogeyface Fri 02-Aug-13 00:51:26

My DD thinks that the only reason Ron Weasley exists is to say "Bloody hell", I think she has a point!

ReginaPhilangie Fri 02-Aug-13 00:55:28

My kids say it and it doesn't bother me, but then they're probably just copying me. blush

123rd Fri 02-Aug-13 00:58:38

Our dc think crap is a BIG swear word!!

vvviola Fri 02-Aug-13 01:06:52

Bellebois - I was about to mention that campaign (and the general loose attitude to language over here).

I had to have an interesting conversation with DH about the use of the word "bollocks" in front of DC. Apparently seeing as there's a cafe here called "the dogs bollocks" (!) it isn't swearing!

That said, DD came home from school saying "Mary said the S word, Mum". I started saying "oh, well yes, that's not a nice word", and then she informed me that the word was "stupid". grin

RonaldMcDonald Fri 02-Aug-13 01:12:30

Crap is not a swear word
At all

bragmatic Fri 02-Aug-13 02:15:23

Mine have said it. I don't like it and tell them to say 'rubbish' instead. As in, "that's rubbish!" They use it in the context of describing something they don't like.

tarantula Fri 02-Aug-13 12:54:27

LongTailedTit - The word crap was in use long before Thomas Crapper and has nothing to do with him. It started as an English dialect word meaning chaff or husk from grain and is possibly related to the French word crappe or might even be of Dutch origin.
This is why in some places it is not considered a swear word because it is not considered an equivilant word for shit but rather means rubbish.

cushtie335 Fri 02-Aug-13 14:12:15

It just means "rubbish" or "not very good" in Scotland. It wasn't until I moved down south that I heard it being used as a synonym for "shit" as in "I'm taking a crap" or "I nearly crapped myself".

Sparklymommy Fri 02-Aug-13 14:23:25

When I was a child my father told me any word used not for its intended purpose was swearing. Until the day he died I NEVER swore in front of him.

My children would be threatened with soap to wash their mouths out if they used crap/bloody/shit any word like that. My four year old appears to be using "oh darn it" ATM, which she has been warned about because it doesn't sound nice from a child's mouth.

My dads one problem with my husband was his swearing. He could live with it but called it disrespectful. He also believed swearing was a sign of ignorance and being uneducated. I still don't swear in certain company and never on Facebook or twitter. On the one occasion I did I got lots of comments about how upset I must have been!

cushtie335 Fri 02-Aug-13 14:32:05

I must confess to loving swearing and can find it very liberating and funny. Some of the user names on here like "Whothefuckfarted" have me in stitches. That said, I wouldn't want a 6 year old coming out with it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now