I'm injured, husband wants to play golf

(59 Posts)
Petal02 Thu 01-Aug-13 15:00:26

I had an accident yesterday. Went to A&E, thankfully no broken bones, just badly sprained ankle. Foot is very stiff and swollen, I can only put a small amount of weight on it, meaning I can only just hobble around the house. The only way to do stairs is on my bum.

So AIBU to be annoyed that my husband has decided to play golf with his son this evening? I could really do with some help at home, and I'm still feeling pretty grotty.

youmeatsix Thu 01-Aug-13 15:01:25

put your feet up, grab a good book/chocolate/wine/telly box thingy and enjoy the peace

treas Thu 01-Aug-13 15:03:35

YABU - why miss the chance of time relaxing on your owngrin

Bowlersarm Thu 01-Aug-13 15:06:22

Whilst it would have been nice for him to offer to be on hand to help you, you only have a sprained ankle so don't think he's particularly unreasonable.

YouTheCat Thu 01-Aug-13 15:08:18

That would depend on if you have just you to look after or you have small children that you might need help with.

thebody Thu 01-Aug-13 15:08:27

youmeatsix ^ this ^^

HairyGrotter Thu 01-Aug-13 15:08:44

YABU, it's only a sprain. I'm constantly spraining them and I lived alone with a young DD. You learn new ways of getting things done!

Foot elevated, painkillers and a good book

Petal02 Thu 01-Aug-13 15:11:01

I know it's "only" a sprain but I can barely walk!!! Sorry, maybe I'm just feeling sorry for myself. I'd like to sit in the garden and enjoy the sunshine, but I don't think I could negotiate the steps into the garden. I'd like a coffee and some chocolate biscuits but if i made a hot drink I couldn't carry it anywhere. And it hurts too much to try any more hobbling today. Grrrrrrrr. sad

Twooter Thu 01-Aug-13 15:19:36

YABU for thinking that anything is more important than a man being able to do his hobby when he wants to.

Get yourself to an orthopaedic supplier and get an ankle stirrup. Put on. Problem solved! Honestly. smile

And what Twooter said, obviously not

KellyElly Thu 01-Aug-13 15:23:36

Make sure he cooks you a nice meal and leaves lots of snacks within easy reach before he goes, then enjoy the peace!

clam Thu 01-Aug-13 15:26:13

Would you be home alone? Or do you have young kids? And if so, how young?
(Sympathies: just clocking up six months after breaking leg and still not fully mobile)

CinnabarRed Thu 01-Aug-13 15:28:52

Here's a top tip for carrying hot drinks if you're not 100% steady (from my sailing days).

Make the drink as usual, and then put the mug into a saucepan to carry to wherever you want to drink it.

That way, any that slops over the top of the mug won't burn you or stain the carpet.

It's a good idea to take some kitchen roll with you too, as the bottom of the mug will drip....

FWIW, assuming that you're not responsible for others (children, infirm relatives, etc) I can't see why he shouldn't go out.

Petal02 Thu 01-Aug-13 15:29:13

No, it's just me, no kids. It's just that by the time he gets back from his golf this evening, I'll have been alone since 7am, and I've not found it very easy. But maybe I am being unreasonable?

CinnabarRed Thu 01-Aug-13 15:30:43

I'm a bit confused what you mean about not finding it easy - mentally or physically?

Petal02 Thu 01-Aug-13 15:34:36

Physically. I had no idea that a sprain could leave you so immobile.

CinnabarRed Thu 01-Aug-13 15:37:59

Poor you. Yes, they can be very painful.

Will he be home before he goes out? He should make you a 'nest' with snacks and wine.

Bowlersarm Thu 01-Aug-13 15:38:00

That's a good tip Cinnabar

OP, you do sound like your feeling sorry for yourself. Do you not like cricket? I would love not to have my DH home today whilst I had an excuse to sit around watching the test match.......

GladbagsGold Thu 01-Aug-13 15:40:31

I think yabu. Its not going to hurt any less if your DH doesn't play golf. Hope you feel better soon!

Gaviguzzler Thu 01-Aug-13 15:42:01

Before I sprained my ankle I had no idea how bad it could be either. I could hobble about a bit at first like you but it was so painful and hard that I'd end up in tears. so I can sympathise. However, it's just one evening and it's lovely and sunny so I would just let him go and he can make it up to you when he gets back.

CinnabarRed Thu 01-Aug-13 15:42:54

Well, presumably it would hurt less in that OP's DH would be able to fetch and carry for her while she rests.

But, even so, I don't think that's enough of a reason to prevent the DH playing golf with his son.

ilovesooty Thu 01-Aug-13 15:47:05

I don't see that a sprained ankle is sufficient reason for him to stay at home. You haven't got children to deal with. YABU, sorry.

clam Thu 01-Aug-13 15:58:40

I disagree. It's miserable, she's in pain and I think it wouldn't/shouldn't be too much of a hardship for her dh to re-schedule.

I struggled with the drinks business too - you can't hop or use crutches/zimmer frame with a mug of liquid. Once, out of desperation, I put the mug on the floor, shuffled a bit, moved the mug, shuffled some more and so on. After about half an hour, I reached the sofa...

ILikeBirds Thu 01-Aug-13 15:58:43

Yabu to expect him to stay home

Yanbu to throttle anyone who says "it's only a sprain" Bad sprains are often worse than simple breaks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now