...to feel slightly uncomfortable about this, when really I think it's probably fine

(30 Posts)
rosesinmarch Thu 01-Aug-13 14:08:58

DH takes DD (2yo) to shops. While in the shop, nice friendly man chats with DD. Man asks DH if he can pick DD up. DD fine with these things, so DH says yes. Then man asks DH to take a photo of him (man) and DD on his (man’s) camera. DH doesn’t see the harm - while he thinks it’s a bit unusual, thinks it may be a cultural thing he’s had not experience of (man doesn’t speak good English and looks/sounds to DH like he might be from somewhere in the middle East). So DH takes the photo. All fine, friendly man gives DD back to DH, DH gives camera back, and they say goodbye.

I don’t really know why I’m posting because clearly there’s no real problem. But somehow this just confuses me a bit.

Thank you for reading!

Sparklysilversequins Thu 01-Aug-13 22:49:15

In Dubai on the metro once an Arab family asked for a photo with dd - pale golden brown hair and light green eyes, age 4. She was extremely uncooperative so it didn't happen, I didn't feel particularly uncomfortable though my Mum was horrified when I told her.

Maybe it's a cultural thing?

Sparklysilversequins Thu 01-Aug-13 22:51:14

Also when we lived in Cyprus when I was a child, my sister had white blonde hair and blue eyes and we were forever being approached by Cypriots asking to hold and cuddle her.

hadababygirl Thu 01-Aug-13 22:52:53

I would feel uncomfortable. Yes, fair enough, it might just be that she is blonde, but to be honest this is a grown man, not a child fascinated by something 'different.'

rosesinmarch Thu 01-Aug-13 22:53:20

Thank you all for replying. I no longer feel even remotely uncomfortable/confused (except for feeling a little confused about why I felt unconfortable before). smile

rosesinmarch Thu 01-Aug-13 22:55:42

Sorry didnt mean to ignore you hadababygirl. In light of most of the comments I think he sounded like such a nice friendly man that really it would be hard not to be ok with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now