To Be Pissed Off By Troll Hunters?

(152 Posts)
DioneTheDiabolist Thu 01-Aug-13 13:27:26

They feed trolls and disrupt the flow of threads.

Troll Hunting breaches the Talk Guidelines, if you believe that someone is a troll, use the Report button and ignore the thread. It really is that simple, but repeatedly I see people accusing posters of being trolls.

So why do they do it?confused. Does it make the hunter feel superior, that they have been so insightful and feel the rest of us, mere mortals need their wisdomhmm or do they live such sheltered lives that they cannot imagine anything outside the realms of their own personal experience?

I have recently seen it happen on threads regarding child abuse and suicide. I understand that these are sensitive, triggering topics, but they are real problems for some people who come here seeking support.

So AIBU to be pissed off by Troll Hunters and wish they would stop it? After all, if it really is a Troll thread, all the hunters do is push it back up the Active board and give it more traffic, thereby feeding it.angry

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 01-Aug-13 23:06:16

TiggyD, I'm with you. I'm no troll hunter. I'm a troll slayer.grin

Unfortunately nobody has given me a crossbow, so I have to content myself with forwarding their position the real slayers at MNHQ.sad grin

feelingood Thu 01-Aug-13 23:06:02

but why do we need to discuss - just report let MNHQ decide - as they have said up thread they have more info than we do to make a considered decision.

feelingood Thu 01-Aug-13 23:03:16

I was accused of trolling once over posting about a very silly thing I did which was quite regrettable I got such a flaming.

I also was accused of being cod once

other than this I'm a non poster really

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 01-Aug-13 23:03:02

Feelinggood, this is not a-thread-about-a-thread, this is a thread about troll hunting. I did not see this Morning's pedophile thread (if I had, I probably wouldn't have posted this one at this time). I tended not to report hunters as I used to believe that their hearts are in the right place even if they go the wrong way about it.

Juggling I get extremely pissed off with trolls and have a very twitchy report finger when it comes to them. But this is the Internet and trolls will come. My initial problem with troll hunters is that they call genuine posters liars and their hunting posts keep bumping the trolls up the Active board.

I will however be reporting every hunting thread from here on though. The thought of a perv posting and being troll hunted (bumping the thread), for an hour before anyone reported is shock. And confirms my belief that some hunters are not interested in ridding us of trolls, but more concerned with being seen as cleverer protectors of the rest of the posters here.

WorraLiberty Thu 01-Aug-13 22:09:56

Thank god you're not weird Tiggy

Really, thank God you're not weird grin

kim147 Thu 01-Aug-13 22:02:38

I namechange occasionally. One time I namechanged and posted about a real problem in my life that was causing a lot of anguish. There were some (not many but some) accusations that the story was made up - I don't know if anyone reported it but it really got to me.

Some people's lives are more complex than you think.

usualsuspect Thu 01-Aug-13 21:57:29

I thought I saw someone skulking around in my bushes.

feelingood Thu 01-Aug-13 21:55:41

<kazzzooooowwwww>

TiggyD Thu 01-Aug-13 21:14:13

I know you can't do that over the internet. I'm not weird you know. You have to track them down first. Then stalk them or a few days. I snatch clothes off their washing lines and wear them to get 'into their skin' and understand them better which makes them easier to follow, then when they least expect it...

...TWANG!

WorraLiberty Thu 01-Aug-13 21:05:48

Over the internet Tiggy?

Blimey, BT Infinity has come a long way grin

TiggyD Thu 01-Aug-13 21:03:02

You need to talk to trolls and their hunters in the only language they understand. A crossbow bolt through the neck.

Fecklessdizzy Thu 01-Aug-13 19:44:08

Oh, right ... blush I thought we were moaning about the film ...

Basically to OP - YABU not to be more pissed off by trolls !

feelingood Thu 01-Aug-13 18:43:54

yes MrsCampbellblack there are ways and means of asking questions without divulging all manner of shite.

feelingood Thu 01-Aug-13 18:42:51

well some a certain type of troll gets mentioned so often as if it an in--site MN joke like naive ham and the like.

Its right if you buy into it from some anonymous person then it it is your own fault, close/hide thread.

There is a certain three at the mo (which may or may not be the inspiration behind this one) with calls of trolling and calls for it to be moved to classics - you can't police an individuals interpretation of a post.

FrancesDeLaTourCoughngIntoABin Thu 01-Aug-13 18:42:04

Exactly. She won't be needing maternity leave. For the rest of us, maternity leave is when we start spending all our time on Mumsnet

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 01-Aug-13 18:41:45

The site does seem to get a lot more questionable posters at this time of year, I reckon there's even some trolls in S&B shock wink

But I totally agree with tsc - and honestly people who post how much they earn, how often they have sex etc etc - well, more fool them in the nicest possible way.

TheSecondComing Thu 01-Aug-13 18:39:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheSecondComing Thu 01-Aug-13 18:38:56

FrancesDeLaTourCoughngIntoABin Thu 01-Aug-13 18:38:20

I guess Olivia has the overnight shifts for the next year or so

Pagwatch Thu 01-Aug-13 18:35:43

HelenMumsnet

"And we have more plans in the offing to ensure more efficient night-time oversight"

That's the gin cancelled then..

everlong Thu 01-Aug-13 18:33:06

Mrs I meant having mods on here in general.

MrsBertMacklin Thu 01-Aug-13 18:26:33

That's alright, MadBusLady, it's something I've seen on other forums but have no first hand knowledge of, it's interesting to hear from those who do.

The 3R's suggestions is a good one and could replace RTFT smile

TheSecondComing Thu 01-Aug-13 18:22:01

MadBusLady Thu 01-Aug-13 18:20:34

Christ, I would like to register my strongest opposition to that. Sorry MrsBert!

I've been a mod. It is thankless and you are never right, and that is at least partly because you can't let yourself get infected with the culture of the place. That's not your job. The best ones are virtually invisible who very probably don't get a lot of satisfaction out of it. The worst ones are proper tinpot Napoleons who play favourites and don't follow their own rules. In between is a whole difficult hinterland of mods who may have the best intentions but are sometimes way too involved in the forum as posters to be effective and impartial (often unavoidable with entirely volunteer-run forums, but avoidable on MN). I think that would certainly be the case here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now