To think you don't need 4 eggs and 7 slices of ham to make an omelette for one person???

(274 Posts)
PenguinBear Thu 01-Aug-13 08:09:13

This seems excessive to me... No-one needs that much in one omelette... Surely 2 eggs and 2 slices of ham would be fine?

jchocchip Thu 01-Aug-13 08:10:21

Yep. Unless they are bulking up for a bodybuilding competition...

imnotmymum Thu 01-Aug-13 08:11:27

I usually use three eggs and depends on the size of the ham. If it packet ham then 7 seems ok gammon ham then maybe a little excessive

curlew Thu 01-Aug-13 08:11:33

A three egg omelette is OK if it's for a main meal- why?

LegoCaltrops Thu 01-Aug-13 08:11:40

Way too much! Who has done this?

Longdistance Thu 01-Aug-13 08:11:58

Or if you're my greedy dh. That's about right.

javotte Thu 01-Aug-13 08:13:09

With a small apple, it sounds like a perfect, protein-packed meal (the omelette would have fewer calories than a Big Mac).
It depends on the size of the ham and the rest of the meal.

PenguinBear Thu 01-Aug-13 08:14:57

My DP(for breakfast)..... He usually sorts himself out once I've left with dc for work but it's the holidays at the moment do I've spotted him.

I am cross mainly because we are struggling financially and using a whole pack of ham and a third of the eggs is just not in our budget.

RobotHamster Thu 01-Aug-13 08:15:12

Its fine as a main meal - probably under 500 cals. Would fill you up for hours as well.

RobotHamster Thu 01-Aug-13 08:15:51

Ah, financially its not ok though.

Emilythornesbff Thu 01-Aug-13 08:16:44

Sounds excessive.

And no cheese???
Really? This must be a ind up.

<runs off to make omelette>

curlew Thu 01-Aug-13 08:24:24

If he's hungry, he's hungry. Is there bread so he can fill up on toast?

Airwalk79 Thu 01-Aug-13 08:28:03

I'm having this issue at the moment too. Trying to make shopping cheaper and last longer. But a dh who wil eat enough of the meat and saucy bit to feed a family of four and will refuse and veg/pasta etc to bulk it up.

2 egg omelette and 2 slices of ham in this house! Even for DP who is a strapping 6'4". Just add toast!

I agree. No cheese in an omelette is abominable. Maybe after he'd noticed he'd used a whole pack of ham, a bit of cheese seemed excessive?

imnotmymum Thu 01-Aug-13 08:33:03

yes cheese mushrooms and tomatoes.
But OP if he had a big breakfast maybe not have so much for lunch so can save that way?

firesidechat Thu 01-Aug-13 08:42:04

3 egg omelettes in this house. The amount of ham would depend on the size of the slices - 2 may be enough or may not. I would also add a handful of cheese too. An omelette isn't an omelette without cheese.

Eggs are quite cheap and a good source of protein, but it would be our lunch or dinner rather than a breakfast.

therumoursaretrue Thu 01-Aug-13 08:44:34

1 whole egg and 2 egg whites here usually.

If we were using straight up eggs I'd have 2, DP would probably have 3.

7 slices of ham is ridiculous!

Emilythornesbff Thu 01-Aug-13 09:29:35

Annoying.
Especially in the context of you having budgeted and shopped accordingly.
Crust of bread for him tomorrow then.

Bowlersarm Thu 01-Aug-13 09:36:35

I aways use three large eggs. Probably about a slice of ham. Some grated cheese. A few mixed herbs. Yum.

halcyondays Thu 01-Aug-13 09:47:57

I'd have 3 eggs.

Alwayscheerful Thu 01-Aug-13 09:52:05

Was it a main meal or a snack?

I would use 4 eggs for DH and 3 eggs for me.

Depends on the type of ham, sounds fine if it was wafer thin bit excessive if its off the bone.

Is your DH a manual worker or an office worker?

I am a bit of a feeder, they say the way to a mans heart.......

Emilythornesbff Thu 01-Aug-13 09:57:20

Seven slices of ham is greedy and thoughtless.
I don't care if he's about to dig the next cross channel tunnel by hand.
No one needs that much processed meat in one omelette.

kelda Thu 01-Aug-13 09:58:49

Is he overweight? If not, then it's not excessive, (assuming wafer thin ham), especially if he is physically active.

Do you buy economy eggs? Not as nice as free range but better if you are on a budget.

It's normal food, it's not the same as wasting the familybudget on cigerettes and alcohol.

grovel Thu 01-Aug-13 10:02:27

You're describing a snack for a physically-active student.

TheSecondComing Thu 01-Aug-13 10:03:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now