to be fed up of balls in my garden from next door?

(234 Posts)
nomoreballs Wed 31-Jul-13 19:41:49

Nearly everyday at least one ball gets thrown over the fence. The record was 5 in one day! I used to pick them up each time and throw them back but I am getting annoyed by it. If the kids are in the garden when I throw them back they never say thanks.

I had plans to get a greenhouse before they moved in but it's not worth even considering.

A few days ago I gave up throwing them back. I counted 4 balls in my garden this morning (plus one more that my dog was chewing on.)

Neither the kids or the parents have said anything yet. AIBU?

LayMizzRarb Wed 21-Aug-13 14:49:53

Cats can be taught not to shit in your garden. Wait until they have dug up your newly planted bulbs, and squatting above the hole. Then point the hose at them.
They soon learn, after 3 or 4 soakings!

SE13Mummy Wed 21-Aug-13 14:48:53

Our DCs have avoided playing with balls in the garden so as to avoid any wayward balls landed in the garden of poo that was the other side of our fence.

12 years after moving in, we have new neighbours who are keen gardeners and have transformed the poo garden into a beautifully green lawn. However, the beautiful garden now gets used. All day, and most of the night too, by loud, expletive-using older teenagers/young adults. Most of the time they are playing pool but they also play football too.

As a result we've had a few leather footballs land in our garden - balls that have been returned when we've spotted them. More worrying than the leather footballs is the pool ball that came flying into our garden (over a 6ft fence). We had been inside at the time to avoid the foul language and skunk so neither of our young DCs were at risk of being injured, thankfully. One of the guys came round and asked for the pool ball back which DH fetched...I'd have had more to say about their playing skill/lack of angry.

PresidentServalan Wed 21-Aug-13 13:50:08

Weiss - love the rolling it in dog shit idea! grin also the OP saying that neighbours allowed their cat to shit in their garden - unlike children, cats can't be taught not to do it!

PresidentServalan Wed 21-Aug-13 13:41:58

We had small children next door, one of which was football mad but he managed not to do that. Just explain that if any more come over the fence you will burst them/throw them in the bin. The children shouldn't be coming to your door or going into your garden if you don't want them to, you have a right to enjoy your property without that happening.

Misspixietrix Wed 21-Aug-13 13:23:52

YABU. I do the same as FlatMum when I go to the put the rubbish out in the Evening I throw them back over. Or if they have asked me once I tell them to help themselves any time. The Neighbours do the same if mine accidently throw one over ~

Millais Wed 21-Aug-13 11:48:28

A few weeks ago we looked out and saw a small child in our garden. He was about 3 years old and just sitting crying by the fence. We went out and tried to find out name and where he'd come from- we have a high fence and locked gates but he wasn't speaking. The door bell rang and a frantic man was standing there asking if we had found his son. Apparently the older brothers had lowered him over the back fence to get a ball and then the plan had failed as the fence is higher on our side as the lane at the back is banked. We didn't recognise them as they were just visiting people behind us. grin
We did throw the ball back too.

HoikyPoiky Tue 06-Aug-13 17:41:09

...but will you be able to tell anyone in real life grin

At least you namechanged

nomoreballs Tue 06-Aug-13 16:48:40

I'm famous! Let me bask in my ball-hating glory!

And Matthew Wright researchers are cheeky buggers Rhino. grin

Rhino71 Tue 06-Aug-13 15:38:46

224 posts have been summed up perfectly by one from nonoreballs. If you are in the garden then throw it back. If you are not then don't rush out to do so. Simple.

nomoreballs Tue 06-Aug-13 14:45:50

Woo Hoo! I missed it this morning so am watching it online now.

I collected all 7 balls last night and chucked them back. 2 have returned this morning and I may chuck them back later if I go to the end of the garden. It did annoy me that one hit the rabbit run and scared her as she is a new rescue and still nervous.

I would never damage or rub the balls in dog poop but I won't run out to throw them back for children who won't even say thanks.

LackingEnergy Tue 06-Aug-13 14:24:24

was shock at the guy who said he lifted his dc over the neighours fence to get their ball back

LackingEnergy Tue 06-Aug-13 14:23:24

The Wright Stuff was a bit shite. A quick 1-2 mins for each person to say what they would do which was return the ball. Yep they would stop what they were doing and return the ball however many times a day the fools, they'll never get anything done . They either had no garden, never experienced the problem or have children who cause the problem.

Will stick to what I've been doing thanks, 6 balls came over today. They will be returned on sunday. The one that hit ds may have met a untimely fate but it entertained the dogs and entertained dogs make ds happy

Tiredmumno1 Tue 06-Aug-13 11:57:31

Your famous nomoreballs wink grin

EllesAngel Tue 06-Aug-13 11:06:21

That was supposed to be a hmm not a wink, that's what happens when you get distracted.

EllesAngel Tue 06-Aug-13 11:03:43

While I wouldn't deliberately smear dog poo over a ball I wouldn't be cleaning it off before handing it back either.

I find it interesting that those who thing the OP and those who agree with her are 'meanies' seem to be ignoring the damage to gardens, the inconvenience to elderly people and the danger to babies/very young children wink

Yay! nomoreballs OP got shown on screen and she got a mention.

Morning. This is about to be discussed on The Wright Stuff. What a surprise.

It's not ok for you or anything you throw to come on my property. I have plants, a dog and a greenhouse.

If it damages any of those I will be claiming the cost of the damage from your parents.

I don't let my children play with balls in the garden, that's what the park is for - in our garden they can play other games.

Infringing on other people is NOT ok.

LackingEnergy Tue 06-Aug-13 09:13:01

Not unreasonable at all New bloody cheeky of the neighbours though

Eyesunderarock Tue 06-Aug-13 09:11:47

No, I reckon that a few consumed balls with help them improve and refine their skills to avoid constant replacement.

NewNameForNewTerm Tue 06-Aug-13 09:08:35

I eventually chuck back any that come my way. But if I don't notice then and my dog gets them too bad if he destroys them. What I do get annoyed at is the neighbour who expected me to replace the expensive ball that came over and my dog punctured. If it is in his garden how can he not think it is one of his balls. I don't feel I am liable for the damage to something that comes over a 6'+ fence on to my property. Is that unreasonable?

FourGates Tue 06-Aug-13 08:59:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nanny0gg Tue 06-Aug-13 00:05:21

Sorry I got there first! grin

My favourite character is Sam Vimes, but I didn't think it suited. So I went for my next favourites and as I am a Nanny (rather than a Granny) I went with this name.

Eyesunderarock Mon 05-Aug-13 21:24:13

I wanted your NN you know, she's my favourite character by far from DW. I was given Nanny Ogg's Cookbook a few years back and it has cheered me through many a gloomy winter. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now