to be fed up of balls in my garden from next door?

(234 Posts)
nomoreballs Wed 31-Jul-13 19:41:49

Nearly everyday at least one ball gets thrown over the fence. The record was 5 in one day! I used to pick them up each time and throw them back but I am getting annoyed by it. If the kids are in the garden when I throw them back they never say thanks.

I had plans to get a greenhouse before they moved in but it's not worth even considering.

A few days ago I gave up throwing them back. I counted 4 balls in my garden this morning (plus one more that my dog was chewing on.)

Neither the kids or the parents have said anything yet. AIBU?

MrsHoarder Wed 31-Jul-13 20:27:11

Mimi what about stones the size of an adult fist that leave a dent in the grass?

MayTheOddsBeEverInYourFavour Wed 31-Jul-13 20:33:22

I'd save them up for a while and chick them back all at once

tabulahrasa Wed 31-Jul-13 20:34:45

We live backing on to a park, so we get balls fairly often (though funnily much less since we got a big dog) the man next door quickly runs out and grabs any that go in his garden and runs in his house with them before the kids playing have to time to look over the fence or come round to the door, they never get them back.

I'm not suggesting that as an option - but it's really quite entertaining to watch if you happen to be out there, I mean it's a bit of a shame for the kids, but watching my neighbour rushing out all furtively is funny.

I'd make them come and ask for them rather than being helpful though if you're not even getting a thanks for it.

NeatFreak Wed 31-Jul-13 20:36:02

We used to have a neighbour whose son was obsessed with football and for several months we were returning his ball 4 or 5 times a day. In the end I said I was happy to return it twice a day but after that he'd have to wait until the following day. I got really tired of the doorbell going all day and had a young baby and this seemed to do the trick ( plus he had about Ten balls so waiting until exit day wasn't a hardship!)

nannynewo Wed 31-Jul-13 20:36:09

Yes, YABU. My brothers and I used to spend hours and hours playing with balls in the garden and they ALWAYS used to end up in next doors garden! As did theirs in ours when they would play in their garden. We used to be very polite by either knocking on the door or waiting until they were in the garden until they then said we could simply climb over the wall and collect the balls ourselves. But then again we were very close to our neighbours. In fact, the whole street was pretty laid back. We can't have been that bad, they still live next to my parents now!

nomoreballs Wed 31-Jul-13 20:37:03

I wouldn't destroy them although I can't help my dog chewing one. She has only ever chewed one and that one was quite small. All the rest are large disney/spiderman/footballs.

I do worry that one will land in fresh dog poop one day!

Lj8893 Wed 31-Jul-13 20:40:34

I had the same problem in my old house. Probably about 5 balls (and various other items) a day. We would throw them back and the children would exclaim how it was magic that they came back, the parents would also exclaim how magical it was. Never a Thankyou.

Didn't really bother us too much until one day I was putting my washing out and a plastic cricket bat was thrown over and it smacked me on the head, bounced onto my shoulder and then onto my bump. (Thankfully not hard but my head hurt!) I said ow really loudly and chucked it back over to have one of the parents ask me to be careful as it nearly hit them!!!

So yanbu. It is a pain in the ass quite frankly, I wouldn't put them in the bin but just save them up till they ask for them back and then have a quiet polite word!

LackingEnergy Wed 31-Jul-13 20:50:15

Pfft I stopped throwing them back after doing it 5 X a day for 14 days straight.

The ones the dogs don't get hold of go into a box and are chucked back over at the end of the week if the parents not the children come to collect them.

MooseyMoo Wed 31-Jul-13 20:50:49

I used to throw footballs back over fence for next door but they never said thank you or came round to get it back. They have at least 10 leather footballs and I really started to get irritated with them when they nearly hit my 2 yo DD and didn't apologise (they must have heard her crying and asking where the ball came from).

coppertop Wed 31-Jul-13 20:50:54

It depends on how intrusive it is.

I used to be quite happy to just throw the ball back over. That was until the ball came flying back over just a few minutes later. The record here was 7 times in 10 minutes, and all from the garden next-door.

Then there was the ball that came over and hit my 6mth-old on the head.

There was one occasion when a ball came over and I thought that it was the usual culprits so threw it back over their fence. A while later the neighbour from the other side came round and asked for their ball. I explained what had happened and they went round to get it back - only for our neighbour to deny they'd ever had it. hmm

LackingEnergy Wed 31-Jul-13 20:53:12

* that should be or earlier if the parents collect them

sheridand Wed 31-Jul-13 21:06:03

Doesn't bother me. The kids can come into my front garden and get it if they are playing "kerbie", and if either side sends one over, if I can get it before the labrador pops it, i'll chuck it back. I'm grateful to have families either side, tbh. They don't mind my two making kid noises, or me sometimes being shouty, and the kids pop back and forth from the gardens all the time. We can do the school run for each other if a kid is crook, we have a cuppa. The balls over the fence ( and sometimes playmobil, rather memorably, once, a hosepipeful of water, which resulted in a full scale water WAR!!!) are part and parcel of enjoying life. Far rather kids next door than a neighbour who might complain anytime my kids did anything childlike!

On the other hand, the numpties with their mopeds REALLY annoy me!

cozietoesie Wed 31-Jul-13 21:18:59

A few years back, I was walking down a local street and two lads were playing footie in the street. One hit a ball which arced into the air, came towards me and missed by inches.

I stalked towards them, their faces now sullen thinking that The Wummin was going to tell them off, and said (in local dialect) 'For God's sake - learn some ball control. Keep the ball low and going where you want it!' and walked off to a stunned silence.

I'd recommend that approach - and it's not a pure tactic. If you have balls soaring over your fence all the time, they're not trying to improve their ball handling skill.

grin

mistlethrush Wed 31-Jul-13 21:32:07

I can lend you my dog for a day or two... she'd pop anything that came over the fence very happily grin

holidaybug Wed 31-Jul-13 21:33:34

It's hardly a big issue is it.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 31-Jul-13 21:36:46

YABU and you will be known by all the kids in the neighbourhood as the witch who doesn't give balls back. Do you have a cat?
Just give them back, its hardly inconveniencing you.

mirry2 Wed 31-Jul-13 21:42:38

We have balls coming ito our garden from the gardens on the left, right and end of our garden. I used to worry about which garden I should throw the ball back into but now I just throw it into any of them. None of mmy neighbours has ever thanked me or even mentioned it. I sometimes find them deep in my flowerbeds. They could have been there ages.

Greyhorses Wed 31-Jul-13 21:45:47

I have trouble with my neighbours children constantly doing this. I wouldn't care normally and am happy to throw the odd one back but they repeatedly ring the doorbell until I get up and throw it back despite the fact they know I work night shifts! The cheeky buggers even spy through my front window if I dare not to answer on the first ring (god forbid i dare take a bath or eat dinner and don't jump at the speed of light) and I've even caught them trying to jump my fence (with three german shepherds loose in the garden, where are the parents when this is happening!!! My dogs are softies but I bet I would get the blame if some child gets knocked over as they do fly around with excitement!!)

Now I let the dogs play with them and then throw them back once deflated and covered in dog slime! YANBU!!

ovenchips Wed 31-Jul-13 21:47:56

4 balls in one day.

This complaint must qualify for some sort of prize.

Well done OP for managing to keep yourself at a steady level of pissed offedness and aggravation for absolutely no real reason at all.

ChippingInHopHopHop Wed 31-Jul-13 21:52:37

Now I let the dogs play with them and then throw them back once deflated and covered in dog slime! YANBU!!

That's no way to let your dog treat a child shock

grin

flatmum Wed 31-Jul-13 21:54:08

what a miserable bunch of old miseries you are! just chuck em back over next time you're out there what's the big deal?

in astounded at this. round here they're are always kids balls in gardens. noone complains, noone rings doorbells, people just chuck them back next time they're in the garden.

nomoreballs Wed 31-Jul-13 21:55:40

*4 balls in one day.

This complaint must qualify for some sort of prize.*

Perhaps my prize is 4 balls! Yay I've won!

ovenchips Wed 31-Jul-13 22:00:40

No more balls grin

CrabbyBigBottom Wed 31-Jul-13 22:05:00

Wow I'm such a crabby bitch (the clue is in the name) because this is not in any way acceptable to me. Why is it ok for me to have balls and shit landing in my garden, snapping plants, flowers and vegetables that I've nurtured and that give me pleasure? Why is it ok for their carelessness to ruin my garden?

There are boys on both sides of us. A couple of years ago they kicked a ball over and it snapped the only flower of a beautiful iris on which I'd been watching the bud form for a week. I told them that they could have it back once, but if they kicked a ball in the garden again then they wouldn't be getting it back. There have been a couple of things in the garden since, funnily enough a ball and a frisbee in the last couple of weeks. I've left them there a week or so and then chucked them back when I was in a good mood. Noone came and asked for them. grin

If they want to play footie they should go to the park or aim away from the fences. It isn't rocket science. Why does the fact that they're children mean that they can spoil other people's private spaces? I know that sometimes shit happens and balls go over fences, but as a general rule: if you can't keep a ball in your own space, find a bigger public space to play in.

Tiredmumno1 Wed 31-Jul-13 22:07:08

You can actually get in trouble for theft if you keep or destroy.

Just let your neighbours know that you will do a scout round in the middle of the day, and again at the end to throw anything back that has been thrown. That way you are not doing it numerous times, and they don't need to be bother you as they'll know the rules.

It's the holidays they just want to have fun smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now