Doreen Lawrence

(153 Posts)
DespairSometimes Wed 31-Jul-13 16:42:47

Sorry for the new nickname; those who know me already would understand why. Doreen Lawrence has been nominated for an honour from The Queen; whatever you might think about it (an personally I think it's a great idea), have a look at what's being said on this:

www.arrse.co.uk/current-affairs-news-analysis/202239-breaking-news-doreen-lawrence-made-peer.html

Pagwatch Mon 05-Aug-13 15:28:46

I would assume that if Ethelb meant mumsnet she would have said 'this forum.'
Saying 'that forum' suggests whatever the name of the army one is.

Isn't that obvious?

flagrantviolator Mon 05-Aug-13 15:24:45

Actually, I have a friend in the Coldstream Guards who is a member of that forum. According to him, the members MERCILESSY pursue and abuse the very same impostor-types you speak of. They even have a special forum dedicated to exposing and hunting these impostors down. He also mentioned that the site does a huge amount of charity work for good causes.

Hefeweizen Fri 02-Aug-13 08:22:18

ethelb - "Hefe if you really are a dad of three and married perhaps you could reconsider using that forum"

And what forum would that be prey tell?

Everywhere I read on this website I see the tag line 'By Parents for Parents'. I am a parent, ergo, this site is for me.

Are you suggesting some type of censorship against me or that I'm not welcome on this site because I'm male?

Biffensbridge69 Thu 01-Aug-13 23:04:26

Most of the posts here have the odour of Iceland frozen turkey burgers , oven chips & Lambrini about them.

ethelb Thu 01-Aug-13 21:55:31

@art It crops better like that if you need to put in a square or landscape image (most newspaper/magazine layout would require these shapes more frequently). Plus, it isn't always cropped 'by the media'. I have seen the 'hand gesture' which is just a fist.

Any more conspiracy theories?

Doreen Lawrence hasn't been made a peer for 'being a murder victim's parent'. She has been made one for constantly challenging the system, sutting up a sucessful foundation and, yes, arguably being a good rent a quote. That's more than most politicians, elected or not.

ArtEFischlerReisson Thu 01-Aug-13 21:50:11

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Pagwatch Thu 01-Aug-13 21:45:46

See. Massive wankerfest.

LaGuardia Thu 01-Aug-13 21:36:34

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 01-Aug-13 21:33:51

SI

ArtEFischlerReisson Thu 01-Aug-13 21:29:38

singledadupahmed Thu 01-Aug-13 21:19:00

I don't understand. Black lady going to be knighted but soldiers don't like so mumsnet don't like soldiers? Can someone explain? Are soldiers racist because lady is black or because she didn't fight a war?

Why is racist?

ArtEFischlerReisson Thu 01-Aug-13 21:04:56

TheBiscuitBaron Thu 01-Aug-13 20:48:44

It is not a threat neither is it the opinion of the poster. He is musing, speculating, pondering how some elements of society will feel.

I am defending only the integrity of the written word.

Perhaps an established poster might care to help me out here??

ethelb Thu 01-Aug-13 19:04:09

@biscuit I don't think me saying that I would like to see you buried under concrete would go down very well on this forum. It would not be construed as 'just a comment'. I wouldn't be surprised if I was banned. But a moderator made that comment on the forum you are defending.

It could potentially be construed as a threat and if I was found to be making comments like that on a public forum about a public figure and my work found out I wouldn't count on keeping my job either.

Don't debase yourself by pretending that is merely suggesting some may not like Doreen Lawrence to be a peer. It is disgusting.

Salmotrutta Thu 01-Aug-13 18:46:06

I've reported.

mingegungemk2 Thu 01-Aug-13 18:37:34

mingegungemk2 Thu 01-Aug-13 18:37:18

Pagwatch Thu 01-Aug-13 18:27:06

<tumbleweed>>>>

mingegungemk2 Thu 01-Aug-13 18:25:17

mingegungemk2 Thu 01-Aug-13 18:21:37

TheBiscuitBaron Thu 01-Aug-13 18:18:37

Peer or Pier? I can see the concrete overcoat option being popular amongst a few?

This is the comment.

I think he is merely suggesting that a minority will find the decision highly unpopular.

mingegungemk2 Thu 01-Aug-13 18:17:52

MamaChubbyLegs Thu 01-Aug-13 18:06:43

"Concrete overcoat" shock

Fuh-king hell.

That thread really is shameful. Never heard of arrse before. Appropriate name hmm

Sparklymommy Thu 01-Aug-13 18:01:21

Ok, new to this thread but having read some, not all of the link I feel I have to post. hefe the majority of the posts a pith Mrs Lawrence are indefensible. Anyone with half a brain would surely be appalled by them. There ARE valid reasons why many will think that Mrs Lawrence becoming a peer is not a good idea; some of which have been discussed here, but race and/or sex are not them. How would you feel if your wife or daughter or mother were discussed the way Mrs Lawrence is being on that forum? It's disgusting and vile and tantamount to threats on her life.

ethelb Thu 01-Aug-13 17:51:42

At work Pag.

Hefe if you really are a dad of three and married perhaps you could reconsider using that forum.

The comment about Ms Lawrence being burried under concrete could potentially be construed as a threat but was in fact posted by a moderator. Hardly a particuarly reputable forum.

I would be ashamed if my partner or dad used it. Or dared to try and defend it.

Have you considered the impact that forum could have on the military as well?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now