Doreen Lawrence

(153 Posts)
DespairSometimes Wed 31-Jul-13 16:42:47

Sorry for the new nickname; those who know me already would understand why. Doreen Lawrence has been nominated for an honour from The Queen; whatever you might think about it (an personally I think it's a great idea), have a look at what's being said on this:

www.arrse.co.uk/current-affairs-news-analysis/202239-breaking-news-doreen-lawrence-made-peer.html

Morgause Wed 31-Jul-13 16:45:03

How deeply unpleasant - and the site is linked to the army?

Wonderstuff Wed 31-Jul-13 16:47:46

What a horrid site, that prick Griffin has objected. I find it very depressing that people can't see the enormous contribution she has made to the UK.

DespairSometimes Wed 31-Jul-13 16:48:17

It's a well known site but it's not really the Army, although I'd suggest the Army's image might suffer from some fallout on occasion. It's a horrible site filled with hate and there's been one or two run-ins with us here before.

Oh, how I wish I had not clicked that link!

quoteunquote Wed 31-Jul-13 16:52:05

That is totally vile, why are these people so horrific and thick?

ephemeralfairy Wed 31-Jul-13 16:53:47

All I can see there is veiled racism. Makes my blood boil. I bet none of them made such nasty comments when Sara Payne was awarded her MBE.

DespairSometimes Wed 31-Jul-13 16:55:04

It would appear there is some competition to be the most unpleasant. One poster has (he calls himself Seb Coe!?): "her son's murder was the making of her". How low is it possible to go?

ubik Wed 31-Jul-13 16:55:09

I don't know why you feel the need to highlight the link on mumsnet.
There are arseholes everywhere - especially on the Internet.

Doreen Lawrence endured far worse than a bunch if cement- heads on the Internet.

The saddest thing is the regularity of this type of racism and misogyny

DespairSometimes Wed 31-Jul-13 17:00:16

I suppose. Sorry, it just upset me. I saw it on DH's pc. Says he's not part of it and was just looking but I don't know his nickname so I don't know.

meditrina Wed 31-Jul-13 17:00:24

I read only the first and last page (currently page 8) of the ArRSe thread. The first page is all "why" and the last page is about the question "In fact it is a merit question - should such a person, brought into the spotlight by such an event, and having subsequently acted with appropriate levels of energy and decorum, and the future promise of doing so in the future, merit a place in the Lords?"

Plus a bucketload of criticism of earlier boneheaded posters.

Bit like an AIBU really, when the usual suspects gradually get outnumbered and out argued?

WorraLiberty Wed 31-Jul-13 17:00:29

Everyone knows that website is crass.

But why bring this on to Mumsnet?

Every time someone does this we get invaded by trolls hmm

MrsDeVere Wed 31-Jul-13 17:07:32

That woman is extraordinary.
My admiration for her is emmense

I know for a fact that she would give all the awards and plaudits back in a second if she could have her boy back.
A second.

I don't have many heros but she is one of them.

He has displayed integrity, fortitude, bravery and intelligence at a time when she could be forgiven for never leaving her house again.

The fact that Griffin thinks a thing is wrong can only prove its rightness.

DespairSometimes Wed 31-Jul-13 17:11:15

WorraLiberty: To discuss it. If you'd rather not you don't have to.

MalcolmTuckersMum Wed 31-Jul-13 17:14:27

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

DespairSometimes Wed 31-Jul-13 17:16:13

MrsDeVere I couldn't agree more, especially with your second paragraph. In fact, I imagined that a substantial majority of the nation would be behind this honour. This is why I was so shocked to read what I did.

stickingattwo Wed 31-Jul-13 17:18:17

It's a site full of people in the services - not sure what you expected OP - best stay away from it.

DespairSometimes Wed 31-Jul-13 17:19:30

Thank you. I think I will.

mignonette Wed 31-Jul-13 17:20:06

Just a bunch of fucking racists on that site and that is why Doreen Lawrence is a voice we so need to keep listening to.

burberryqueen Wed 31-Jul-13 17:20:31

i am not even going to click on it - Mrs Lawrence is a heroine

HeySoulSister Wed 31-Jul-13 17:21:28

nice one op.....now when they get wind of this they will be over here trolling. well done! hmm

meditrina Wed 31-Jul-13 17:23:25

It's a public site which does not establish the bona fides of its members.

Yes it has an Army theme, but no, it's not known how many of its membership have ever served in the British Forces.

Anti-ArRSe posts do turn up on MN from time to time - and I suspect a perceived need for a NC may be connected to that.

burberryqueen Wed 31-Jul-13 17:24:50

i am not even going to click on it - Mrs Lawrence is a heroine

burberryqueen Wed 31-Jul-13 17:25:14

oops posted twice....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now