to think anyone contributing to a Christmas thread in July needs to find a life?

(157 Posts)
MardyBra Wed 31-Jul-13 16:36:43

They're popping up already.

Instead of planning Christmas now, go out and enjoy the summer.

I need to hide the Christmas topic until December, don't I?

MardyBra Wed 31-Jul-13 16:48:28

This is an annual traditional bunfight iirc.

MardyBra Wed 31-Jul-13 16:49:46

"But arent the threads in the christmas topic?

In which case surely you could just not venture in there?"

Yes I'm just rehiding it. It got unhidden around mid November last year.

TeWiSavesTheDay Wed 31-Jul-13 16:49:49

If you've got a tight budget starting now is very sensible! Unfortunate but true fact.

soverylucky Wed 31-Jul-13 16:50:10

I always start buying as early as possible. It makes it affordable for me.

ENormaSnob Wed 31-Jul-13 16:50:39

I have started buying as im on mat pay and likely to have shit all money come dec.

At least i wont have to worry about it and i wont be starting a begging thread wink

OvO Wed 31-Jul-13 16:51:04

Why do some of you not grasp that even the cost of buying a few gifts and a turkey is a LOT to some people. That to even give your closest loved ones one modest gift might take a lot of a persons income, so they need to spread out the cost.

Not everyone has the sort of wage that means they can use their last pay check before Christmas for everything plus normal bills.

MardyBra Wed 31-Jul-13 16:51:08

And I'll get all thread-police-y on anyone who starts posting aibu to ask you about your Christmas bargains/traditions/turkey-basting tips?

TylerHopkins Wed 31-Jul-13 16:51:34

Those who buy early will have a stress free Christmas and won't end up running around like headless chickens grin

ENormaSnob Wed 31-Jul-13 16:52:34

Just because its now unhidden doesnt mean you have to click on it grin

MardyBra Wed 31-Jul-13 16:52:36

grin
Well that's set the cat amongst the pigeons. I'm heading off into the sunshine...

Sirzy Wed 31-Jul-13 16:53:02

Exactly Tyler. Other than fresh food I had everything purchased by the start of December meaning I could enjoy -laughing and people panicking the build up to Christmas

AnnabelleLee Wed 31-Jul-13 16:53:17

Still no getting why people won't get presents if you don;t get them in july. I save money monthly for christmas, then buy stuff later. I don't see why thats hard to do.
Sure, if you want to, if thats how you like to do it, fair enough, none of my concern, but I'm not buying the "its the only way I can possibly do it" bit.

MardyBra Wed 31-Jul-13 16:53:53

"Those who buy early will have a stress free Christmas and won't end up running around like headless chickens"

Oh yes, thinking about it, I inflicted you all with a stressed-out-Mardy-out-Christmas-shopping thread last year. grin

ValiumQueen Wed 31-Jul-13 16:54:05

YABU. You are entitled to your opinion, and to hide the topic, but not to insult people.

Arisbottle Wed 31-Jul-13 16:54:09

Aside from money , I am not sure what there is to plan this early. Christmas dinner is Sunday lunch with a bigger bird and you just bung a present for each child under the tree.

I love to do the Christmas food myself so start cooking around Oct/ Nov but nothing needs doing now.

wonderingsoul Wed 31-Jul-13 16:54:35

becasue that lego set i brought for £15 will have been full price come december..

its not really hard to figure out..

usualsuspect Wed 31-Jul-13 16:55:24

I did think I needed to hide the Christmas topic today.

Thanks for reminding me.

Arisbottle Wed 31-Jul-13 16:55:27

We tend to buy our presents and food on the 23rd and 24th December, I have never run around like a headless chicken, in fact we always have time to have a leisurely lunch and get pissed on mulled wine,

MardyBra Wed 31-Jul-13 16:55:30

"Christmas dinner is Sunday lunch with a bigger bird and you just bung a present for each child under the tree."

Exactly.

Edendance Wed 31-Jul-13 16:56:11

Went into the Christmas section in harrods last Friday... Christmas music and everything!!

FobblyWoof Wed 31-Jul-13 16:56:13

Considering DC2 will be born no later than two days after Christmas it is the kind of thing I need to start thinking about now grin

ExcuseTypos Wed 31-Jul-13 16:56:18

Surely it's only the same as people planning and booking their summer holidays in January.

TylerHopkins Wed 31-Jul-13 16:56:58

We need a constant stream of things to complain about. If it's not the weather then it has to be the cost of Christmas grin

Sirzy Wed 31-Jul-13 16:57:12

I do that too excuse - I have a holiday booked for may next year!

Arisbottle Wed 31-Jul-13 16:57:56

But people have to book time of for their holidays well in advance, holidays are expensive as well. Surely people spend a lot less on Christmas than a holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now