To be annoyed that DP's family eat fast food every day?

(54 Posts)
Holly94 Tue 30-Jul-13 20:01:05

I know I probably am BU and its none of my business what they eat but it's really been getting on my nerves - don't know if its the hormones making me more irritable than normal!
Me and DP are living with them until the tenants have moved out of our new house next month and I'm not kidding, every single day his mum sends his dad out to get her a McDonalds for her and his sister. His sister is 19.

They eat it every single day! AIBU to let it annoy me?

We're having our first baby in February and I think I'll be too worried to let baby stay overnight out of fear they'll just feed it McDonalds/other crap!

YABU but you know what - that would annoy me as well. The smell of the McDs in the house every night would drive me nuts! It's hard to be reasonable all the time smile
Just try and get out of the house more in the evenings, go swimming or whatever and think happy thoughts of having your own space next month. They sound like good and kind people though, letting you stay even though it must be quite strain for them as well.

Holly94 Wed 31-Jul-13 07:41:17

Yes they are overweight.
I know next month when we are paying proper rent we will know how good we've got it at home but I'm craving my own space! There is 5 adults in a 3 bedroom house so as you can imagine no room.
I know they've been lovely in letting us live here and I'm not disputing that, that's why I feel so mean now sad
It just winds me up how his mum is always going on about how skint she is and how she's had to put all her debts into a debt management programme yet they can manage to spend £15 odd quid a day on fast food.

Longdistance Wed 31-Jul-13 04:34:00

Yanbu. It'd piss me off too. Just Bleurgh to their food. We have a take out once a week to take the pressure off me cooking all week and dh's a lazy arse and that's our limit. We have friends who eat McDonalds and other take away food, almost on a daily basis.

We've to their house for bbq's and their fridge is nearly always empty every time, as they go get take out nearly every night. They have dc aged 5,7 and 9. And wonder why they never have any money. They are living mortgage and rent free ATM too.

<hoiks up judgy pants>

PigOnStilts Wed 31-Jul-13 04:33:35

Are they overweight? Im Just curious....Im not sure how you can eat so much junk and not be feeling it and seeing it on your frame.

I had mcD about four times one month when I was preggers and was too ashamed (at the expense as well as the food) to tell anybody!

everlong Wed 31-Jul-13 04:15:46

There was a programme about a man who ate Mcdonalds every day for a while ( I think it was a month ) and it seriously fucked him up.

YaNbu.

If you didn't give a shit about them I daresay you wouldn't mind, so YANBU.

Salmotrutta Tue 30-Jul-13 23:44:12

I'm with theodorakiss.

It's not a good diet - but it's none of your beeswax really.

You say you are paying "rent" but I'll bet you are saving a fair bit with no bills etc.

Are they good/decent people generally?

foreverondiet Tue 30-Jul-13 23:37:14

I would be offering to cook. Are they overweight?

I'd struggle not to say something but its their choice and unlike smoking you can't passively eat a McDonald's! So probably best to offer to cook but otherwise keep quiet, and be thankful that you know more about nutrition than them.

littlemisssarcastic Tue 30-Jul-13 22:16:34

I think I'd feel dreadful if I ate McDonalds every night!! shock

Are they healthy? Full of energy?

I imagine I'd be bloated, constipated with no energy and awful skin, but I have a friend that eats nothing but roast potatoes or chips and meat, all roasted in oil or fried in oil. She is rarely ill. confused

mrsjay Tue 30-Jul-13 21:58:29

have they always eaten like this OP was your partner brought up on a diet of Mcdonalds .

My mil wouldnt cook for herself when her sons left home she lived on crisps bread rolls and chinese take away she would only eat properly when dd was there we took food for them both and when we went on a sunday, the woman died at 60 herpoor diet contributed to her illness sad

Auntfini Tue 30-Jul-13 21:53:47

My dps family are like this. Their fridge is just of sauces and fizzy drinks. They order takeaway every night. And no fruit/veg. And then wonder why they all have no end of illnesses.

I love them very much, they are so warm hearted and would do anything for anybody, but they're setting themselves up to die early.

Pancakeflipper Tue 30-Jul-13 21:45:09

Are they constipated ?

xylem8 Tue 30-Jul-13 21:42:27

Yes I watched 'supersize me' the other day.Scary!
But it is NOYB and they are doing you a favour so you shouldn't be looking down your nose at them!

theodorakisses Tue 30-Jul-13 21:38:15

Go and pay rent then.

Xmasbaby11 Tue 30-Jul-13 21:04:50

And yes when the baby comes, I would be open about what your DC can/can't eat. Hopefully they will respect this. If not, then no, you can't trust them to look after him/her.

Xmasbaby11 Tue 30-Jul-13 21:03:01

YANBU - it would wind me up even though it doesn't affect me directly. Especially since you're pregnant and a healthy diet is more healthy than ever - most relatives would be aware of this.

But as long as you are able to buy in food and cook it, you should be OK, and maybe your habits will rub off on them? I don't know if they've always eaten a lot of fast food, but they might just be in a rut and if they see you rustling up meals without too much effort/expense, they might start eating better.

valiumredhead Tue 30-Jul-13 20:58:37

I want a chocolate milkshake

mrsjay Tue 30-Jul-13 20:55:34

all that salt on the chips they must drink gallons still want a big mac

Beehatch Tue 30-Jul-13 20:52:06

You should get them to watch 'Super Size Me', I think Morgan Spurlock became very unwell after just a month of eating fast food.

formicadinosaur Tue 30-Jul-13 20:47:28

I really couldn't do it myself, I'd feel unhealthy and awful.

TheRealFellatio Tue 30-Jul-13 20:42:32

It wouldn't annoy me as such, but I would roll my eyes and feel ever so superior and judgey about it.

Holly94 Tue 30-Jul-13 20:40:22

For all the people who've said I should cook for them I always offer to make them tea when I cook. They always say no and that they're having a McDonald's.

thefuturesnotourstosee Tue 30-Jul-13 20:39:28

Rather then than me but they are grown adults and responsible for their own decisions so if they want to eat Macdonalds every night that's up to them. I like it but 2-3 times a year is enough for me

Perhaps you should offer to take over the cooking?

mrsjay Tue 30-Jul-13 20:38:34

oh god now i want a big mac blush

parakeet Tue 30-Jul-13 20:38:08

It sounds like they are not charging you the market rate - why not find out what the market rate should be for staying in a one-bedroom flat, say, and work out how much money you're saving every month. That should ease your pain.

I would feel as repulsed by you as their diet, but just keep reminding yourself, they are doing you a mahoosive favour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now