Actually, is my aunt being unreasonable?

(67 Posts)
PomBearArmy Tue 30-Jul-13 18:16:02

When my aunt moved to Germany she offered me her G-Plan wall unit as she couldn't take it. It fits in my living room perfectly, it looks like two open shelf bookcases of different heights sitting on a base unit - I just took the base unit's sliding doors off as they kept sticking.

She came back after six months and called in to see me, and I noticed she was in a bit of a mood when she left. Later my other aunt called and said that I'd vandalised the unit and disrespected her property! I really hadn't, and it looks fine to me, I prefer it all open.

Am I in the wrong?

PomBearArmy Tue 30-Jul-13 18:16:48

And though this probably sounds like no big deal, I've been told she is no longer speaking to me...

YANBU, she is being a bit daft tbh. She either gave it to you or she didn't.

VodkaJelly Tue 30-Jul-13 18:22:40

I have never heard of G Plan so just googled it. Its very... ummm.. uh, retro. Yes, very, ummmm, retro. yes.

Your Aunt is bonkers,

StrangeGlue Tue 30-Jul-13 18:23:08

Yanbu.

Does she think she lent it rather than gave it? But even then you'd only bu if you couldn't reattach the doors.

In any case 'vandalised' is v over dramatic.

ajandjjmum Tue 30-Jul-13 18:23:42

She is being very silly, as she presumably gave it to you without condition.

SarahAndFuck Tue 30-Jul-13 18:24:03

She gave it away so it's not her property anymore.

And it's a ridiculous thing to stop speaking to someone about.

Also this is the second mention of G-Plan furniture I've seen on MN in two days and I've never heard of it before. Genuine question, because when I googled it just looked like normal furniture to me but it seems to be something of a big deal. Why is G-Plan so special?

Nobody would stop speaking to you over a Billy bookcase OP.

pictish Tue 30-Jul-13 18:24:57

Sibu. Not her house? Not her call.

AnnabelleLee Tue 30-Jul-13 18:26:23

If its the original utility stuff its worth a good bit. Its sort of iconic.

dadinthehat Tue 30-Jul-13 18:26:38

Rub a candle along the runners when you put the doors back in. Should help with the sticking. Or a good polish.

Salmotrutta Tue 30-Jul-13 18:27:14

G-plan was big in the 1970s Sarah.

It must be making a retro comeback or something it was hideous enough back then so god knows why

dadinthehat Tue 30-Jul-13 18:27:16

Oh, YANBU. Aunt is.

Yonionekanobe Tue 30-Jul-13 18:29:01

Also had to google it Sarah

She is being very unreasonable and quite precious.

PomBearArmy Tue 30-Jul-13 18:38:04

She definitely gave it to me. I broke the doors up and threw them out... I told her that. I didn't know it was a big deal. Maybe I should have kept them, but they looked so 70s!

I like it now because it reminds me of the one my Mum and Dad used to have when I was little, but it does look very of its time!

Well if she gave it to you she's being a nut. She can't control what happens to things she's given away, ignore her and her dramatics. If she's no longer speaking to you, she's saved you the trouble.

Hegsy Tue 30-Jul-13 18:47:50

If she actually gave it to you then SIBU unless she thinks she'll get it back at some point? Very strange

minibmw2010 Tue 30-Jul-13 18:50:40

Why did you not keep the doors? That makes more sense, no wonder she's offended.

pictish Tue 30-Jul-13 18:54:16

I think it was wasteful to chuck the doors tbh. Could they not have sat in the shed or something? I think that's what she's annoyed at - not that you took the doors off, but that you broke the doors up and chucked them out!

I do agree that she gave it to you, and that's that - but I must confess your destruction of the item makes me a little bit cross.

Pancakeflipper Tue 30-Jul-13 18:54:39

But why keep the doors for something she was given and has no plans to return? Why does that make sense?

GetStuffezd Tue 30-Jul-13 18:58:47

How would the Aunt know the OP had chucked the doors? Why would the OP keep the doors?
Adults who "stop speaking to" other adults for such trivial matters generally need a boot up the arse anyway.

pictish Tue 30-Jul-13 18:59:22

G plan furniture is worth some money these days.
I wouldn't mind if someone took the doors off because it suited their needs better, but I'd be pissed off that the recipient smashed them up and made the furniture worthless.

Sorry but I bloody would. Sacrilege!!

Pancakeflipper Tue 30-Jul-13 19:01:18

Then Aunt shouldn't have given it away. She should have sold it to a G-Plan door loving person. Not a pull it off and smash doors up type.

PomBearArmy Tue 30-Jul-13 19:02:28

Ah, ok. I have a small house and after breaking my hoarding habits maybe I go too far the other way now blush

I'll email and apologise for destroying the doors.

firesidechat Tue 30-Jul-13 19:04:49

Apparently G plan is going to be the next big thing or so those in the know are predicting. I quite like retro/vintage, but honestly never saw that one coming.

Perhaps the aunt now realises that she has given away an antique of the future and wants it back.

Do you still have the doors?

ouch!

she's bu as she gave it away.

but to destroy part of it - ouch ouch ouch! yes, i think you should email and apologise and don't ever do that again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now