Start using reusable nappies on ds 18 month

(16 Posts)
pigletmania Tue 30-Jul-13 17:11:02

He has been having nappy rash since this hot weather, despite me cleaning him and changing regularly. The tots bots ones look like a disposable nappy and look great as well as saving money. I'm also taking ds to the GP tomorrow to get him checked as well

pigletmania Tue 30-Jul-13 17:11:40

It will also save some money, ds is no where near ready for potty traing yet

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 30-Jul-13 17:14:41

Try these

www.babybots.co.uk/alva/76-alva-pocket-nappy.html lots cheaper than tots bots but Ime not much difference in absorbency, just do not use fabric softener either added to detergent or separate

And yanbu.

hothereinnit Tue 30-Jul-13 17:16:01

Go for it. if wisely bought, a cloth nappy is about as expensive as a packet of disposables. I can get by with about a dozen cloth nappies for ds (just over a year) so if ou reckon you'd get your money's worth then why not?

There can be a good second hand market too when you are done with them (you could look into buying second hand too)

pigletmania Tue 30-Jul-13 17:16:36

Thank you socksmile

FoofFighter Tue 30-Jul-13 17:16:36

You may find here useful www.facebook.com/groups/cbmadvice

I'd advise against going out and buying a load of one type in case they don't suit. Preloved bargains is the way to go, get a few of lots of different kinds and decide what you like/works for your ds and then get more later and flog the others again smile

WestieMamma Tue 30-Jul-13 17:25:29

Blimey, I just looked at those linked above. They've come a long way since the terry ones with plastic overpants I had for my daughter 20 years ago. I'm very tempted for our new little one as disposables are costing us a fortune.

jacks365 Tue 30-Jul-13 17:28:50

I second going for preloved as they are expensive. I gotsome for my dd when she was about 6 weeks old and they are far easier than the old terries. Most of mine are motherease but I have some totsbots for out and about.

hothereinnit Tue 30-Jul-13 17:53:16

motherease are totally bombproof. my MEOS are still going strong after 4+ children.

you can spend a fortune on beautiful nappies, but at the end of the dya, nappies are mostly hidden under clothes.

anyone deliberating, I would say to go for it. they are so easy to use now, sometimes thye can barely be distinguished from disposables in terms of ease of useand can be washed/dried so easily too.

I got some Charlie BAnana pocket nappies for ds in a sale, and they are brilliant too. once the inserts are popped in, they are as easy to put on as a disposable, imo.

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 30-Jul-13 17:53:23

Piglet, if you get those ones I'm happy to buy them from you when your finished with them. There the brand I mostly use so I know they work well and in 3 months I'm going to have 3 dc's using them.

I've got a selection of those mixed with some of the very expensive brands as well as a couple of midrange ones and to be honest providing you look after them they last just as well and work just as well as the £20 per nappy ones do in some cases better.

By look after them, I mean don't wet soak in a bucket these days you don't need to,tumble dry on low and don't use napsan on the outers and they only need to be washed at 40 and no fabric softener.

You bung them in a dry bucket until you have enough for a washing load and that's that.

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 30-Jul-13 18:01:54

Forgot to surgest don't buy a huge amount at the same time the first time you try just incase you don't get on with them unless your lucky enough to find some reasonably priced preloved ones.

I know so many people who have spent £200+ on a birth to potty kit and for what ever reason the nappies did not fit there lifestyle. Little lambs are a bugger for this due to the drying time great nappies but if you either don't use or cannot afford to run a tumble drier lots or don't have one with a low setting they are not much good for you. And with a long but slim baby cannymums ( rather expensive) may not fit very well so if you have brought a lot of those you tend to get disheartened by it all and think they are all the same,there not.

FoofFighter Tue 30-Jul-13 18:17:37

Westiemama, I have some terries and other flat nappies called prefolds, they are still being used by loads of people, wraps are way better these days than rubber pants though!

pigletmania Tue 30-Jul-13 19:42:01

Thanks sock, I have ordered a few just to try. I bought 1 tots bots today at boots and tried it with ds, it lasted 3 hours which is the average between nappy changes and was very impressed, the disposables tend to leak quite a bit ad crystals falling out after 2/3 hours. These are pampers by te way so not impressed

pigletmania Tue 30-Jul-13 19:45:36

I bought a bambino mio birth to potty kit for 200 with dd 6 and did not like them, these new reusables seem much better and much easier.

Eskarina Tue 30-Jul-13 19:54:01

Piglet, check with your local council, lots do a cash back or incentive scheme. We got £50 back when I bought my first set. Also I use tots bots nappies on my dd, 23 mo. I have to add a booster to make them last long enough so if you find DS is weeing through them too quickly you could try some bamboo boosters (fillyouorpants.com have the little lamb ones which I use) and it makes it last longer.

pigletmania Tue 30-Jul-13 19:57:39

Thanks esk I dohave some washable liners left from te birth to potty pack which I kept

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now