Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that Dino Ferranti was a manipulative ass?

(109 Posts)
bumbleymummy Tue 30-Jul-13 16:08:37

Just re-reading Riders and its struck me that he was being a complete ass to Fen - telling her that he wasn't going to wait around for her and if she wouldn't sleep with him he'd just go elsewhere. hmm

Plomino Tue 30-Jul-13 22:05:17

Yes , she does a runner after the painting is auctioned , with Zac's stepdad (seb ? Seth? ) and leaves Horrid David as the High and Dry Sheriff .

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Tue 30-Jul-13 22:07:15

Me too, Alconleigh. It would be a fab night out.

I like Rosemary.

Plomino Tue 30-Jul-13 22:07:23

Oh Maud ! The trampy one with a jewelled comb in her hair , drinking whiskey out of tea cups , whom everyone let get away with murder .

I always wanted to be her .

I've read them all except Score but I didn't finish Pandora or Appasionata (or if I did I can't remember the end)

There's all the earlier JC books too (Emily, Harriet, Lisa and Co....) my favourite was Octavia.
DH bought me Lisa and Co for Christmas when we were students (before he was DH) ,
Sweet smile

Alconleigh Tue 30-Jul-13 22:30:29

Did Caitlin Moran really rename herself after Caitlin O'Hara?
I really wanted to be Caitlin O'Hara, with the Honourable Archie.

Andro Tue 30-Jul-13 23:01:24

Rivals is Awesome BBP, I have to agree that it's the best book. Dino in Riders? He didn't exactly cover himself in glory...but he was far from the worst man in that book!

A really enjoyed Score as well, but I really lost track for who was having sex with whom.

StickyProblem Tue 30-Jul-13 23:13:43

Lol Audrina! Sorry to hijack away from Jilly but there were some top shits in My Sweet Audrina! Damian Adare and his "horny toenails", and his penchant for smacking people and shagging absolutely every woman he ever saw. What was the drippy husbands name, why am I thinking Lance, I'm sure it wasnt Lance....

I guess no-one fancied Rannaldini then... Perhaps Jilly overdid the 4 foot tall aspect. Its got to be Rupert for me, if you are going to fancy a fictional shit you might as well go all the way. I could see the attraction in Ricky F-L but he's a drunk driver FFS. Daisy also got on my nerves with all that blubbering, just empty the fucking dishwasher it ain't that hard.

washing up machine sticky Washing up machine wink

AudrinaAdare Wed 31-Jul-13 01:13:57

Sticky my DH is called "Arden". He has amber eyes and floppy hair, watched me being violated as a child, lied to me all my life, then we got married and expected to live happily ever after, as you do. He shagged my sister along the way and yes that was my Dad with the horny toenails. He was a very successful thief stockbroker but very charming.

You might be thinking of "Logan" who was the twat my author's creation "Heaven" stupidly fell in love with.

I love Rannaldini's dialogue. I always remember this line and can well imagine the bitchy and sinister tones with orchestra quaking:

"I 'ear tape of radio programme where you abort "The Creation". Poor Beethoven. I 'ope they didn't restore 'is hearing in heaven" - genius!

bumbleymummy Wed 31-Jul-13 10:28:28

I'm intrigued Audrina. I may have to try out those books next smile

bumbleymummy Wed 31-Jul-13 10:30:48

Should also say that I realise that Dino is not the biggest ass in the book but I had just got to that part and thought "what a jerk!' and had to share smile I think when I've read them before I had kind of glanced over his behaviour a bit but now I'm a bit annoyed that Fen actually ends up with him despite him treating her like that! Even though I do like the idea of them as a couple.... confused

AugustaProdworthy Wed 31-Jul-13 10:31:12

I'm halfway through 'Score!' for the millionth time. Thought JUmp and Wicked were awful though. Loved the earlier RCB books.

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 31-Jul-13 10:47:35

I've just re read Jilly Cooper's books, I loved the earlier ones - Harriet, Bella, Imogen etc,, there was a sweetness about them.
But I've just had a week in hospital reading Polo, and she really is a snob and appallingly sexist.
And I loathed Perdita, her most horrible ever character.

LadyBryan Wed 31-Jul-13 10:54:12

I LOVE Score - my absolute favourite.

I cannot bear Maud O'Hara and Georgie Maguire, awful mutton!

I rather like Alizarin Belvedon. Although did find Hengist rather attractive but an absolute sod.

bumbleymummy Wed 31-Jul-13 12:14:39

Yes, Perdita was a complete bitch to Luke. She didn't deserve him.

HatieKokpins Wed 31-Jul-13 12:33:15

Declan did NOT shag Cameron!

Bowlersarm Wed 31-Jul-13 12:38:26

I thought Declan definitely shagged Cameron in Ireland? That was one of the reasons Maude had a thing with Tony B.

bumbleymummy Wed 31-Jul-13 12:42:56

I thought they left it a bit open. I think someone accused him of sleeping with Cameron and said that was why he hadn't gotten his flight back on time and had missed her opening night at the play but I don't think it was confirmed or denied. I'd like to think that he hadn't sad He was very nice up to that point.

bumbleymummy Wed 31-Jul-13 12:43:42

As in, he was too guilty to make it to the play...Cameron had gone on ahead while he stayed to interview someone iirc.

Potteresque97 Wed 31-Jul-13 12:56:35

Rivals is my favourite. Agree perdita is vile but love polo for daisy and Luke.

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Wed 31-Jul-13 13:11:35

Cameron admits to Patrick that she slept with Declan, doesn't she?

HatieKokpins Wed 31-Jul-13 14:04:20

Nope, they're about to when Declan gets the phonecall about the play from thingummy. That's why Cameron is in such a filthy temper when she gets back to the theatre without Declan. The play is the last straw for Maude, and is why she finally leaves Declan. She'd been having the affair with TonyB for a while beforehand.

Patrick assumes Cameron and Declan slept together, and doesn't listen when Cameron denies it.

I re-read the book recently, I don't actually have it committed to memory. (much)

sallycinnamum Wed 31-Jul-13 14:14:25

This thread is well timed because I'm halfway through Pandora and can't work out if there is incest going on between Sienna and Jonathan? Surely even Jilly wouldn't sink that low?!!

anonacfr Wed 31-Jul-13 14:20:15

So Dino made a bitchy comment.

You do know that Rupert is an emotional and physical abuser and a rapist too?
Then he falls in love with a girl who's a dim and young enough to be his daughter (but she's ever so kind hmm and all of a sudden he's wonderful...

anonacfr Wed 31-Jul-13 14:22:05

Speaking of low which is the one with the GCSE students shagging their teachers/ friends' parents?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now