To ask you all to save a bee?

(42 Posts)
Wasapea Tue 30-Jul-13 13:56:47

Just that really. Advice from the RSPB says to give exhausted bumblebees an energy drink of sugar and a bit of water if you see one struggling.

Best to put the mixture in a bottletop and keep an eye on your stripy friend to make sure he doesn't drown. I did this today and it was lovely. The bee enjoyed it as well and flew off into a flowerbed.

I didn't know about this till very recently so thought I would spread the word and see if this nest of vipers could help save more bumblebees smile

MyDaydream Tue 30-Jul-13 14:01:55

I read a similar post on here a few weeks ago and have used the advice since. Although I soaked the mixture on some kitchen roll and put it next to the bee. Was really pleased when he flew off. DS got somewhat neglected and had to entertain himself while I kept checking on the bee though!

CunningAtBothEnds Tue 30-Jul-13 14:13:13

This was posted a few weeks ago and resulted in me and DS saving a bee we called him dave grin

Wasapea Tue 30-Jul-13 14:20:01

Ahh, sorry I didn't realise someone had beaten me to it! Glad loads of bee-saving is going on though! It's a lovely thing to show DC.

FruOla Tue 30-Jul-13 15:24:42
Offler Tue 30-Jul-13 15:29:24

I tried to save a bee yesterday, found him on the pavement so picked him up and put him in some flowers as I didn't have anything else to give him!

At least I saved him from getting squished!

Thumbwitch Tue 30-Jul-13 15:40:29

I saved a bumblebee once, years ago. Gave him some sugar water - it gave him enough energy to fly around the kitchen for a day longer and then he drowned himself in the washing up bowl sad
But it was at drone kick-out time of year, so I think he was doomed anyway.

It was fascinating having a "pet bee" for a while though - and seeing the tiny little golden mites that lived in his fur. My lodger didn't think I was too crazy...

Wasapea Tue 30-Jul-13 15:51:17

Aww Thumbwitch that's sad sad I took loads of pictures of this bee and got excited when he washed his fuzzy head with his little feet. Sure nobody thought that was odd either.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 30-Jul-13 15:57:32

Sounds like a good excuse to go in the garden and see if there's any exhausted bees....

wonderingsoul Tue 30-Jul-13 16:04:47

grin

glad every one is saving bees :D

Mazzledazzle Tue 30-Jul-13 16:19:26

My kids have saved three this week from their paddling pool. They are most pleased with their new 'friends'.

ThoraNomiki Tue 30-Jul-13 16:48:24

Ah this is a lovely idea. I hate seeing the poor things struggling and it would make a nice little lesson for DD in being nice to all creatures and allow me to indulge my inner hippy

LionMonkey Tue 30-Jul-13 16:50:11

Here's a cute video of saving a bee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcy_6uNTXlU

Guadalupe Tue 30-Jul-13 16:52:38

We have a nest just by our front door. There is a small hole and every so often an enormous bumble bee flies in and out.

If I see one looking tired I will try to remember to offer it a drink!

Guadalupe Tue 30-Jul-13 16:54:26

The flowers have finished now but our neighbour has a tree with Rambling Rector? rose growing through it. The bees obviously love it as there were hundreds every day and a permanent droning sound. Loads of different types of bees too.

hiddenhome Tue 30-Jul-13 17:03:46

We gave one some jam liquid the other day. They seem to like this too.

morethanpotatoprints Tue 30-Jul-13 17:06:41

Hello OP thanks for this thread

Dd and I are saving loads as we have a tiny conservatory and they fly in, land on window frame and bake in the sun.
We have loads in our garden and its such a shame to see them struggling.

Wasapea Tue 30-Jul-13 17:20:00

Ahh, this has made me feel happy inside smile So glad there are so many nice people saving bees.

FruOla Tue 30-Jul-13 17:36:31

I've started a thread in 'Have You Seen This' with pictures of our 'happy bees' www.mumsnet.com/Talk/have_you_seen_pictures/1815487-Save-the-BEES-or-other-little-critters-Summer-2013 grin

Shroomboom Tue 30-Jul-13 17:44:28

We always do this with tired bees, but we do honey and a tiny bit of water to make it runnier. They are such important little creatures!
We're going to get a hive too, but are trying to get a wide variety of flowers in the garden first smile

FruOla Tue 30-Jul-13 17:48:04

Re : feeding honey to sick bees, this was posted on the original thread :

"Please don't feed honey to bees!!"

"You may be saving one only to pass on disease to it which could kill the whole colony when the bee goes back to it's colony. White sugar water is fine (never brown) but don't bee (ho ho) too upset if it doesn't make it. The workers/foragers aren't designed to live more than 6-8 weeks when they're working hard in the summer."

FruOla Tue 30-Jul-13 18:02:40

Shroomboom, see ^^, you could be killing those bees with honey from elsewhere

TheFantasticFixit Tue 30-Jul-13 23:48:29

We've had loads of the poor little things coming into our kitchen recently - I've saved loads! Sadly one was too exhausted and died on the bottle brush. Poor bugger. Had offered water but will now do the sugar water - good tip!

ladymariner Wed 31-Jul-13 00:00:39

Hadn't heard of this before but will definitely now be doing it.....thanks op x

Oldraver Wed 31-Jul-13 00:05:00

I've had to get two bees out of water the last week...I hope they survived.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now