Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Is it ever physically impossible to breast feed?

(276 Posts)
ThePowerof3 Tue 30-Jul-13 06:44:06

I know that there can be a lot of mental barriers to breastfeeding but what are the physical ones? Is it ever possible for someone's milk not to come in?

wickeddevil Wed 31-Jul-13 17:35:23

I fed DC 1 and 2 very easily. They enjoyed it, I loved it and was lucky that I found it very easy. I could not for the life of me understand why people chose not to breast feed.

Roll on DC 3. She didnt actually seem to like it, she wriggled and jiggled and never seemed satisfied. I found this so hard, it felt like a rejection. We struggled on for 6 months because I was bloody minded enough, but to be honest it wasn't a pleasure and I was relieved to finally stop.

My point is I now know I should not have judged ff mothers without knowing their circumstances. I found out the hard way. I would urge others too to consider more and judge less.

tiktok Wed 31-Jul-13 17:33:28

blush It was me blush Uncharacteristically, I broke a mumsnet rule and started talking about another thread...

It was in the interest of truth and honesty!

But it should prob stop now smile

Ahh, I see smile
Dont think it counts as a thread about a thread, so much as a thread that got sidetracked a little grin
Apologies OP!

Oh MrButtercat talking bollocks about breastfeeding again
<yawn>

MrButtercat Wed 31-Jul-13 17:29:22

There is no other thread.smile

MrButtercat Wed 31-Jul-13 17:28:55

No this thread is now a thread about a thread- I think.confused

Oo, I didnt even see that! Is it still around or was it deleted?

MrButtercat Wed 31-Jul-13 17:24:54

Oh and the thread about a thread which I thought was frowned upon wasn't started by me Beyond.

MrButtercat Wed 31-Jul-13 17:22:07

Couldn't give a monkey's Tiktok tbf.

MrButtercat Wed 31-Jul-13 17:21:04

Wasn't so much you it was some of the other posters giving "advice".

tiktok Wed 31-Jul-13 17:16:43

Nope. Still not managing to take you seriously, MrB .

And as I said on there, I have no problem with your opinion. I do however, have a problem with you misrepresenting me on a separate thread and making me sound like someone who, in your words, "disregard(s) RL medical advice in order to bow down to the altar of bfing"

It may have been "anti-consultant" but I have researched the drugs. The consultant was wrong.

MrButtercat Wed 31-Jul-13 17:08:18

Personally I still wouldn't have taken the drug and bf incase of further research down the line.<shrugs>

MrButtercat Wed 31-Jul-13 17:06:26

As I said you posted in aibu,I gave my opinion as one is supposed to.Why would you start a thread on there if you don't want opposing views to what you want to hear?confused

(They are talking about my thread btw)

Somebody did not "highlight the side effects", they gave a possible reason which the consultant could have had. Which I said, if they were correct, was a perfectly justifiable reason. But they weren't correct, the consultant told me that he would not prescribe it as the drug would definitely be passed over and would definitely immunosuppress my child. This is 100% incorrect.

MrButtercat Wed 31-Jul-13 16:57:12

Erm I didn't like the tone of that thread which was to disregard RL medical advice in order to bow down to the altar of bfing. It was v anti consultant.Thankfully somebody highlighted the side effects further down.

As I said the thread was in aibu asking for an opinion.I gave one based on my personal experience and opinion.

I still stand by it.

As I said if that is being hypercritical than sorry but a whole host of posters on there were guilty too as they regularly turn up on bfing threads linking all manner of "research" gleefully scare mongering when posters haven't even asked for an opinion.

tiktok Wed 31-Jul-13 16:40:45

OMG - you are the same person, MrButtercat, who scaremongered on that other thread about the risks of bf once a day with meds that were considered (after research) to be safe, and who judged a 'foolish' mother for bf a child 'who didn't need it' and who twisted stats and information (at least you didn't commit the terrible sin of linking to your sources - you just said 'Google' grin)

Come on, MrB. How can anyone take what you say seriously? smile

MrButtercat Wed 31-Jul-13 16:29:47

Also said had posted in aibu re disagreeing with her consultant who had said not to,as she asked for an opinion I was saying I personally avoided all drugs when bfing including paracetomol and would go with consultant advice particularly as re science and drugs you never know what is round the corner.

Not the same as judgy posts re ff causing obesity,SIDS,less bright kids and a whole host of other ills.

If I was hypocritical on that thread then sorry but so was every other pro bfing poster many of whom turn up on every bf thread going merrily stat twisting,linking and scaremongering with gay abandon.

MrButtercat Wed 31-Jul-13 16:05:45

Pointing out that avoiding bfing when you don't have to when you are taking heavy duty drugs is sensible (particularly when a later poster highlighted the not insignificant side effects ) is hardly the same.

tiktok Wed 31-Jul-13 13:49:09

This wouldn't be the same MrButtercat who told a poster she was 'foolish' for wanting to breastfeed a toddler (who had been told - incorrectly - that bf was incompatible with the meds she was going to get)? Just last week? And that it was 'common sense' not to even have paracetamol (safe when bf, as it happens) when bf? And who made unfunded assertions about stats and research which, when challenged for a source, said 'Google' smile smile ?

No. It couldn't be the same one. Because that would have been judgmental, and it would have been twisting stats....and she clearly explains these are Wrong Things to do.

So it must be someone else using the same nickname.

You should report this, MrButtercat. Someone is making you look extremely contradictory and confused.

confused or hmm

MrButtercat Wed 31-Jul-13 13:41:40

Yes I love that. grin

ThePowerof3 Wed 31-Jul-13 13:37:55

I love that one, if you object to X then it must be because you did Y and feel guilty for it!

MrButtercat Wed 31-Jul-13 13:29:01

The having "ishoooos" accusation to belittle an opinion always make an appearance too and is equally unpleasant.

MrButtercat Wed 31-Jul-13 13:20:17

Oh and I class scaremongering and stat twisting posts at best judgy and more often than not just plain unpleasant.

MrButtercat Wed 31-Jul-13 13:18:11

Tiktok sorry it may not be the maj of posters but it is waaaay more than the occasional individual so not a myth by any means.hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now