To be shocked that my friend lets her 7 and 8 year old boys play...

(82 Posts)
jenniferalisonphillipasue Mon 29-Jul-13 23:06:37

Call of Duty on the xbox?
I am not one for games consoles etc but I am certainly not the console police. However I was really shocked that when I took my son to play at my friends house this morning her eldest son said he wanted to play CoD. I thought maybe he meant some kind of role play but there by the TV was COD2 (rated15). I was really shocked by this.
I really don't want my ds exposed to this kind of stuff. How do I go about saying this??

JenaiMorris Tue 30-Jul-13 18:57:07

To be fair, there are people who seem to think the ratings relate to difficulty. Which is confused

But yes, I prefer to use ratings and other information to make my own decisions. It also works the other way - there's plenty of stuff (games, films, TV whatever) that is either unrated or rated as suitable for a particular age that I'd rather ds avoided.

xylem8 Tue 30-Jul-13 18:51:59

'I always wonder why people are so blind to video game ratings'

... because they have minds of their own, and can form their own judgment as to whether a game is suitable for their offspring or not, rather than having to follow ratings like a mindless sheep.

AnnabelleLee Tue 30-Jul-13 18:31:21

anyone who lets young children play these games is a moron.

phantomnamechanger Tue 30-Jul-13 17:12:09

I do think schools should be aware of and record/report concerns regarding gaming - as a one off concern, it may not indicate a problem - but in some cases , it may go hand in hand with the dc being always tired/dirty/hungry/inappropriate language or sexual innuendo being used etc - or numerous other indicators of neglect /abuse.

And I do think other parents should check with you that you are ok with what dc play or watch at their house. heck, I even checked that a 10 yo was allowed to watch the 12 rated Harry Potters.

Tooearlyintheday Tue 30-Jul-13 16:30:54

If Social Services already have concerns then they would see allowing very young children to play these games as symptomatic of not being a protective responsible parent. Doubt they would accept a referral just for the game itself.

iclaudius Tue 30-Jul-13 16:26:42

No thanks not for my children
It's supposed to be childhood and its not what I want my children's childhood to be about

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Tue 30-Jul-13 16:25:40

DS1 was never allowed games that friends had. So when they came to visit they would bring the banned game. Was I prepared to humiliate him before a friend? Yes and no. Allowed him to play the game but commented upon it as lacking in humanitarianism - really kills the buzz. Also like playing John Lennon 'give peace a chance' at high volume or singing the lyrics - especially if the mic is on.

holidaywoe Tue 30-Jul-13 16:23:01

My 10 and 8 year old both play the COD games as do their friends I see no problem with them, I do wonder how many parents who hold up their hands in horror have actually played the games. They are just shoot em ups and no different to games I played as a kid or to playing army and soldiers in the woods with toy guns.

Back2Two Tue 30-Jul-13 16:08:47

Yes, you're right of course titty
It is obviously "just the boys that I have coming to my house". I am special like that.

If they don't play it, they don't miss it yet. If they do play it...they ask where the console is and/or what they're going to watch. They are also much more likely to say "I'm bored"

Buddhagirl Tue 30-Jul-13 15:57:17

Ss! That is hilarious, i think they are a bit too busy dealing with abuse to bother with children playing computer games.
If the child knows what is real and what is not i don't see the problem. Yanbu to be annoyed.

xylem8 Tue 30-Jul-13 15:44:15

meh!

JustGiveMeFiveMinutes Tue 30-Jul-13 15:07:28

I am not a scientist, never mind a Professor of Neuroscience at Oxford University so I don't feel as though I'm in a position to 'rate' her research.

On the basis she may have a point and that 'gaming' is an antisocial, obesity-causing waste of fucking time I don't let my underage dc play computer games. We all have to make our decisions based on what we as parents think is best for our dc I suppose.

Beastofburden Tue 30-Jul-13 14:47:34

Boys that age are of course all too ready to be violent. In my own 1960s childhood I remember being revolted by a friends brother who literally tore the wings off butterflies and his mother just laughed it off. I find that unsettling too. And there is that horrible "joke" that all 8 year olds love:

" it's only when you look at them through a strong magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often ants spontaneously burst into flames".

All kinds of violence unsettle me, probably far too much. Not sure if screen violence, which is more extreme on the face of it but at least not real, is worse or not. Not a big fan of Prof Greenfields research personally.

daytoday Tue 30-Jul-13 14:40:14

It's basic good manners to check with another parent first.

I won't let my 12 year old play that game.

SmiteYouWithThunderbolts Tue 30-Jul-13 14:07:55

Both my ds's (7 and 8yo) have friends at school who have played CoD. Ds1 went to a friend's house one evening and came home telling me they'd been playing it. I was furious. I have no opinion on other parents letting their kids play (ok I do have an opinion but I keep it to myself) but it is for ME to decide if MY sons are allowed to play it. Which they aren't. Same goes for Grand Theft Auto (vile game). They can stick to Skylanders for the foreseeable future!

JustGiveMeFiveMinutes Tue 30-Jul-13 14:03:28

Professor Susan Greenfield researched the effects of screen technologies on children and as a result there is no way I would let my 11 year old and 7 year old play COD. That's despite their claims that 'all their friends have played it' hmm Well, yes, they probably have, but I can think of a lot more interesting things for my dc to do than sit in front of a screen and kill people.

tittytittyhanghang Tue 30-Jul-13 13:59:29

Back2Two do you really find 6 year olds who play consoles unable to entertain themselves? I dont think thats a general problem and maybe just the boys you have coming to your house.

FadedSapphire Tue 30-Jul-13 13:49:48

Not had the pleasure of the ant squashing game... will not seek it out!

Faded My 3 year old shouts Fly birds, die pigs [grim] He also plays the ant squashing game.

I played GTA when I was younger. I am still yet to nick a car and kill women.

My brother 13 has played COD etc since 11. He plays online with other friends. He can tell the difference between what is real and what isn't.

I played Playboy Mansion on the PlayStation 1. I loved it and I think that was a 15 or 18. Cant remember.

Back2Two Tue 30-Jul-13 13:31:59

Not sure why people are so keen to believe that SS would completely shrug off any reports such as these. Obviously the context is important.

Child protection guidelines will probably include reference to children being frequently allowed access to or being allowed to watch anything of an explicit adult content.

No, they're not going to leap in the car and bash down the door....but I hope/believe that they would actually treat any concerned reports as valid and not just bin them.

It's all about context and the rest of that child's life.

Personally,I hate the fact that 6 year old boys coming to my house don't know how to entertain themselves because we don't have a games console.

Beastofburden Tue 30-Jul-13 13:30:44

Ds1 is 21 now and in his time has played all these games. As an adult he has a healthy sense of irony when faced with violent films etc and now plays games where you build space rockets etc (when he plays at all), while his extremely gentle father slaughters orcs on lord of the rings.

That said, I would not have allowed him to start that young. Secondary school at the very least, and actually I think he was about 14 before most of these games were available.

FadedSapphire Tue 30-Jul-13 12:42:11

There's me being concerned my 4 year old getting unhealthy attitude towards green pigs in angry birds! 'I'm going to die the pigs!!'.
Honestly- I am rethinking him playing it...

Bunnygotwhacked Tue 30-Jul-13 11:45:52

thats a link to the wrong game sorry but the websites good for all games

PEGI explains the ratings pretty well too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now