To be shocked that my friend lets her 7 and 8 year old boys play...

(82 Posts)
jenniferalisonphillipasue Mon 29-Jul-13 23:06:37

Call of Duty on the xbox?
I am not one for games consoles etc but I am certainly not the console police. However I was really shocked that when I took my son to play at my friends house this morning her eldest son said he wanted to play CoD. I thought maybe he meant some kind of role play but there by the TV was COD2 (rated15). I was really shocked by this.
I really don't want my ds exposed to this kind of stuff. How do I go about saying this??

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Tue 30-Jul-13 16:25:40

DS1 was never allowed games that friends had. So when they came to visit they would bring the banned game. Was I prepared to humiliate him before a friend? Yes and no. Allowed him to play the game but commented upon it as lacking in humanitarianism - really kills the buzz. Also like playing John Lennon 'give peace a chance' at high volume or singing the lyrics - especially if the mic is on.

iclaudius Tue 30-Jul-13 16:26:42

No thanks not for my children
It's supposed to be childhood and its not what I want my children's childhood to be about

Tooearlyintheday Tue 30-Jul-13 16:30:54

If Social Services already have concerns then they would see allowing very young children to play these games as symptomatic of not being a protective responsible parent. Doubt they would accept a referral just for the game itself.

phantomnamechanger Tue 30-Jul-13 17:12:09

I do think schools should be aware of and record/report concerns regarding gaming - as a one off concern, it may not indicate a problem - but in some cases , it may go hand in hand with the dc being always tired/dirty/hungry/inappropriate language or sexual innuendo being used etc - or numerous other indicators of neglect /abuse.

And I do think other parents should check with you that you are ok with what dc play or watch at their house. heck, I even checked that a 10 yo was allowed to watch the 12 rated Harry Potters.

AnnabelleLee Tue 30-Jul-13 18:31:21

anyone who lets young children play these games is a moron.

xylem8 Tue 30-Jul-13 18:51:59

'I always wonder why people are so blind to video game ratings'

... because they have minds of their own, and can form their own judgment as to whether a game is suitable for their offspring or not, rather than having to follow ratings like a mindless sheep.

JenaiMorris Tue 30-Jul-13 18:57:07

To be fair, there are people who seem to think the ratings relate to difficulty. Which is confused

But yes, I prefer to use ratings and other information to make my own decisions. It also works the other way - there's plenty of stuff (games, films, TV whatever) that is either unrated or rated as suitable for a particular age that I'd rather ds avoided.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now