Away for a week

(31 Posts)
mendocino Mon 29-Jul-13 22:20:40

My sister in law who is lovely has asked if my sons can stay for a week in the holidays. She is in London, we live in the North West. Their cousin who is 22 would take them down by train. They are 4 and 8 and I really don't want them to go. I work full time as a teacher and really look forward to my holidays with them. I also fell uncomfortable with my younger son making the journey with his cousin and being so far away. My husband thinks IABU and has walked out of the room ( I told him yesterday how I felt but he has gone ahead and made the arrangements).

AaDB Tue 30-Jul-13 10:16:54

Just had a similar dilemma. My ds 6 went for two nights and had an absolute ball. I looked on it less about me and him and more about ds building a great foundation with his wider family. We don't usually have family support.

It sounds like a lovely offer. Is let them both go. Arrange to collect your younger child if needed. Your DC will have a great time.

IsThatTrue Tue 30-Jul-13 10:27:34

As a mum a week is hard personally. I've had to do it since DS was 3 and dd was 5 with XH and I get no contact at all in that time but that's another thread it's awful. Now they're 6+8 it's easier, but I still miss them a lot.

YANBU even if it is just that you'll miss them. If you're happier with a few days suggest that.

UC Tue 30-Jul-13 10:35:26

I think you need to ask the children whether they want to go or not.

I'd let them go, but you could suggest Mon - Fri or a shorter time than a week for their first time. Or make the journey down there with them, stay for a couple of days then come home for a few days before they do.

I do think you're being a bit precious.... Sorry! But maybe that's because my DCs are on holiday with their dad atm. They've been away nearly 2 weeks. Maybe I'm just hardened because I'm used to them coming and going for 5 days or more at a time, and they've been doing this since they were both under 4.

TheFuzz Tue 30-Jul-13 10:41:50

4 is a bit young. Go with them and enjoy a week doing things with your SIL.

Apileofballyhoo Tue 30-Jul-13 10:47:15

Can you go with them? I wouldn't like to be away from DS (5) for a week and the only people I would leave him with is DH or my mother. Maybe my sister for just 1 or 2 nights, depending on how he was (he really loves her children).

WilsonFrickett Tue 30-Jul-13 10:57:20

I think if you feel it's too long, then focus on that, rather than making up excuses about the no-doubt perfectly capable 22 yo being able to cope with 2 children on a train journey. If that was your tack, I don't wonder your DH got a bit exasperated.

But if you think it's too long for the 4 yo, then that's fine. Either send them for just a few days, or just a few days on their own and you go down for a few days then bring them back. Or would your eldest fancy it on his own?

Generally this sort of thing is good for kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now