Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to give dd food before paying for it?

(736 Posts)
cantsleep Mon 29-Jul-13 22:20:29

Went to shops today with dcs. Dd was a bit tired and hungry and I wanted to get in and out quickly and home.

She was very hungry and has health issues and needed to eat that minute so I picked something up and let her have it. I have not done this before but couldn't have gone and paid then given it to her and continued shopping as she needed to eat straight away. Usually I have a snack in my bag for her but she had already had that one and I was going to buy more snack bits for her from the shops to replenish the ones I carry for her.

I noticed that a shop assistant was watching us intently and kept seeing her as we went round the shop.

When we got to the till I took the packet off dd for the man to scan and gave it back to her. As we were leaving the member of staff who had been watching approached us with a security guard and asked had we paid for what dd had eaten round the shop. I replied yes we had but she asked to check the receipt which obviously was fine.

She then told me that in future we HAD to pay for food before consuming it. I explained to her that it was a one off as I had run out of snacks I usually carry and dd needed to eat immediately but the security guard said food has to be paid for first.

It wasn't like I do this all the time and tbh as long as the food is paid for does it really matter?

WIBU to have let dd eat her snack before we had paid for it?

ZingWidge Tue 06-Aug-13 09:22:26

Ems I knew you'd bite! grin

<Day 8: the thread mates are bored and picking their noses. they need a new task, so the general public has been asked to provide some ideas....>

Emilythornesbff Tue 06-Aug-13 16:08:32

widge grin
Just off out to tesco grin

NewAtThisMalarky Tue 06-Aug-13 17:24:11

You may think it fortunate Ems.

I think it's quite an uninspiring way to spend a life.

Each to their own!

Emilythornesbff Tue 06-Aug-13 19:21:30

OK. grin

Mitzyme Tue 06-Aug-13 21:14:31

Ah Ha. Thought you had got rid of me did you(s). Well went swimming with DP, DD and DGD. Then to Waitrose, we are very posh. DGD stuffed her face, got to checkout, DD said sorry!! to checkout person, hope it's okay that DGD had a snack, handed over empty packet, of course organic food, to pay. Checkout person said of course it's okay.
WFM if it's okay for Waitrose then it's okay by me!!!

Pigsmummy Tue 06-Aug-13 21:26:16

I do it and know that I shouldn't, it's technically theft but if you can prove that you had means of paying for the food then not likely to stand up. I do self scan so feel a bit confident that I have demonstrated that I would pay but what would happen if you got to the till and find that you haven't got cash/bank card etc

Emilythornesbff Tue 06-Aug-13 22:01:30

mitzyme grin
<waits for narrator. Can't do the accent>

Mitzyme Tue 06-Aug-13 22:03:18

Okay. For those of you that have difficulty shopping.
1. Transport. check.
2. Children (or not) check
3. Purse. check.
4. Money in said purse. check.
5. Cards etc. check.
6. House keys. check.
7. Add your own preferences. I am past caring.

Mitzyme Tue 06-Aug-13 22:04:35

Oh forgot fecking own bags.

Caboodle Wed 07-Aug-13 22:26:12

At the risk of resurrecting this...... shudders....
Asked Mum today - she spent years working for a (very green) nationwide supermarket chain. She was very surprised anyone would think it a problem; said everyone did it and nobody bothered.
She did once say that someone once returned a cooked chicken because it was 'overdone', customer services refunded amount despite the chicken having been eaten and the bag just containing the bones shock
Now, if I wanted free food I would do that! grin

ZingWidge Wed 07-Aug-13 22:29:07

caboodle grin at returning bones!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now