Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think my dh is trying to starve me?

(138 Posts)
superbagpuss Mon 29-Jul-13 19:08:17

today in my packed lunch

half a sandwich
bag of hula hoops
grapes
small tangerine
tiny twix

for dinner

one veggie burger
two scoops veggie and potato mash

this was the same size portion as DT age 4

I know I'm an adult and can buy/ cook my own food but wondered if I'm being greedy? is that another food for an adult?

alreadytaken Tue 30-Jul-13 18:00:31

dinner sounds rather mean, some extra vegetable would have made it fine. For lunch I'd have a whole sandwich, fruit but not the snacks. Sounds like he was low on bread and bulked it out with junk. A mixed salad with the half sandwich would have been both healthier and more filling.

GettingVerySleepy Tue 30-Jul-13 18:18:53

Talkinpeace, I think you're way overestimating your calories (unless your portions are absolutely massive) but I can certainly see how that would work to allow weekend wine and still lose weight!

Talkinpeace Tue 30-Jul-13 18:23:17

gettingverysleepy
which ones am I overestimating .... most are based on MFP rounded up to the nearest ten

Talkinpeace Tue 30-Jul-13 19:11:15

OK, just put my lunch into MFP. I underestimated

Medium slice of nice Sainsburys bread : 110 cals
Half tablespoon of mayo : 45 cals
Banana : 100 cals
Tuna mayo filling : 200 cals
(and that is on a halfwidge)

I was wrong about the Waitrose ham : its only 45 cals a slice ....
but pasta is 300 cals per 70g uncooked ....

Xmasbaby11 Tue 30-Jul-13 19:13:45

Sounds like kids' portions! Poor you! A word is needed.

GettingVerySleepy Tue 30-Jul-13 20:05:38

Talkin, besides the ham (and the fact of having mayo assuming a tsp at 30 calls PLUS chutney as well) I was referring to the pasta dinner which with the meat, sauce, vegetables and pasta itself adds up to 1000 calories. That seems more like a restaurant pasta meal for a treat rather than something you'd have at home on an average evening.

GettingVerySleepy Tue 30-Jul-13 20:07:25

Oh and 200 calories of tuna mayo is an awful lot to have on just one slice of bread as well.

GettingVerySleepy Tue 30-Jul-13 20:10:48

Here is a random tuna sandwich on myfitnesspal, neither the highest nor anywhere near the lowest. It is 380calories so half a sandwich would be 190. No need to have a massive amount of tuna mayo AND some more mayo as well I wouldn't think, as in your estimate. www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/homemade-tuna-sandwich-on-wheat-mayo-56796569

Talkinpeace Tue 30-Jul-13 20:14:25

One supermarked smoked haddock fishcake - which is what I had with my supper last night is 250 calories

Tonight I had 4 home made sticky chicken wings = 470 calories
and 2/3 of a cup of cooked basmati rice = 75 calories
and broad beans = 75 cals
and two large glasses of wine = 370 cals

70g of uncooked pasta is not a lot ....

if you think my estimates are way over, I would suggest you start checking your meals (per gramme) on MFP

Talkinpeace Tue 30-Jul-13 20:17:34

getting
I never, ever, rely on other peoples estimates of what they put in their food
I do MFP from ingredients
start with a slice of bread
then a teaspoon of spread
then a part of a tin / pack of filling

BECAUSE
most people underestimate what they are eating and overestimate what they need
on the 5:2 maintainers threads, many of us are holding steady at BMIs under 21 ..... trusting other people's calculations of our calories is not the way to get there

GettingVerySleepy Tue 30-Jul-13 20:18:04

That is a totally different meal from your 1000 calorie pasta meal and of course if you have two large glasses of wine the calls will add up! I do actually weigh my food on a digital scale and enter it daily into mfp which is maybe a tad bit obsessive I admit but at least I can be confident in my estimates. Anyway just trying to help and I'm sure your way is much more fun and less geeky/sad than mine grin!

Talkinpeace Tue 30-Jul-13 20:20:00

getting
once you have a handle on it, you can get much lazier about MFP
and I fast to give myself leeway

but getting back to the OP
sorry you had a desk lunch today - hope you and your DH can come up with some fun lunches over the next few weeks

GettingVerySleepy Tue 30-Jul-13 20:20:58

Just saw your last response maybe you are overestimating your portion sizes then because a half a tuna sandwich is very unlikely to be 355 calories to take just one example unless you stuff them much fuller than most people do! Anyway you seem happy wi your way and of course if you're overestimating you will lose weight so carry on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now