bag of hula hoops
grapes
small tangerine
tiny twix

for dinner

one veggie burger
two scoops veggie and potato mash

this was the same size portion as DT age 4

I know I'm an adult and can buy/ cook my own food but wondered if I'm being greedy? is that another food for an adult?

Ezio Mon 29-Jul-13 19:22:52

Maybe im tight for portion control Onesleep, on the otherhand that would be a crumb to my stepdad.

Food mountains are the norm on xmas day.

superbagpuss Mon 29-Jul-13 19:23:34

I sit at a desk all day
I also ate - breakfast bar, more dried fruit and half a flapjack - other half saved for tomorrow

I am always hungry so not a great barometer of portion size

diddl Mon 29-Jul-13 19:23:36

I find the half a sandwich odd, but that's all tbh.

What do you think you should have had?

formicadinosaur Mon 29-Jul-13 19:23:43

i had a sandwich ( 2 slices of bread) and a piece of fruit. No unhealthy treats. No idea what other people have.

itsonlysubterfuge Mon 29-Jul-13 19:24:12

When my husband was on a economy drive, he stopped eating. He made a fortune!

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 29-Jul-13 19:24:29

Yes, food mountains are for Christmas, but a normal meal is for everyday. Under no circumstances would they be considered normal by most people, as you can see from this thread.

Pumpkinnose Mon 29-Jul-13 19:25:57

I think given the other snacks you ate though that would be plenty for a day at a desk though?

lljkk Mon 29-Jul-13 19:26:00

Most adult women I know wouldn't eat more than that.
Okay, not in public, anyway.

itsonlysubterfuge Mon 29-Jul-13 19:26:19

For lunch I have two slices of bread and a few slices of ham or two eggs, I find this filling. I do sometimes have some crisps as well.

superbagpuss Mon 29-Jul-13 19:26:30

fair enough, so it was enough, it just didn't look that much

pointythings Mon 29-Jul-13 19:27:49

OP, when you wrote 'duh' for 'DH' was that a subconscious typo?

I'd be stocking up on salad leaves and piling them in the fridge to bulk out the silly meals your DH makes you if this is turning into a pattern.

I have a sandwich (2 slices) for lunch most days, no treats on the side, and have been portion controlling dinner by eating lots of veg and not having any second helpings any more, but taking all the enjoyment out of meals isn't a good way to manage food IMO.

thebody Mon 29-Jul-13 19:28:40

personally of you want to ditch the weight then cut out the bread and chocolate/ hoops.

make your own huge plastic bowl of salad, leaves, toms, cucumber, beet root. load up on fruit.

evening protein, meat or fish and loads of veg.

evening cycle or walk/jog.

tons of water.

go for it.

Alconleigh Mon 29-Jul-13 19:29:03

I have a cooked lunch from our canteen most days. Today was roast chicken, roast baby new pots and carrots. I don't eat bread, but even if I did I would be rav by 3pm if all I had was a sandwich and some crisps etc for lunch. On the other hand I often have a v light dinner, on account of the big lunch.

superbagpuss Mon 29-Jul-13 19:29:16

pointy things it was an autocorrect I didn't catch
I should eat more salad and veg, and normally do but today it wasn't cooked for me

I like the fact no one told me to make my own lunch, cook my own tea. grin

I would tot up the calories of everything you ate today and then decide

Personally, I would think an adult needs 2 slices of bread for lunch and that there should have been lots of veg with dinner - but it probably wasn't far off.

superbagpuss Mon 29-Jul-13 19:30:55

the body
thanks but I'm not actively trying to lose weight - unless dh is hinting I should - I've gone from not eating at all to over eating over the years so have completely screwed my own judgement

I think it was really nice he made your lunch BTW...grin I don't know anyone who makes their partners packed lunch!

maja00 Mon 29-Jul-13 19:33:56

I'd probably have two slices of bread and a decent filling (tuna mayo or ham and cheese) for the sandwich, and just the fruit for lunch.

I would want more for dinner though - some other veg with it.

Please, don't do the calories if you'll get stressed about it!

plecofjustice Mon 29-Jul-13 19:34:47

Well, your lunch was 446 calories according to my calculations, which is quite a lot for lunch, in my opinion. Most of that was the hula hoops - get rid and put some meaningful calories in their place.

It all depends on your build and BMR/TDEE really.

TheRealFellatio Mon 29-Jul-13 19:35:23

The dinner sounds ok but what's with the half a sandwich? confused

NoComet Mon 29-Jul-13 19:40:11

Your DH has obviously been feeding my DD2 recently. She's 12 not 4, but has always lived on toddler portions.
(Supplemented by copious amounts of yoghurt, ice cream and the occasional glass of coke).

She just finds food and eating boring and manages to race about trampolining and doing all manner of sports clubs on less calories than a normal person needs to stay still.

LondonMother Mon 29-Jul-13 19:41:46

Alconleigh, I'd be surprised if a sandwich (two slices of bread) and a packet of crisps wasn't about the same calories as roast chicken, roast potatoes and carrots.

superbagpuss Mon 29-Jul-13 19:43:43

plecofisco so in all I've eaten about 1200 calories today, I guess I'm on a weight loss diet whether I want to or not hmm

superbagpuss Mon 29-Jul-13 19:44:55

plecofjustice sorry blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now