To refuse to hand over my freecycle offers to this girl?

(177 Posts)
GoodTouchBadTouch Mon 29-Jul-13 16:54:34

We have recently moved and I put a load of stuff on freecycle.

I was emailed by a woman who asked for 3 things, and I told her to pick one as I wanted to share them out. She says, OK, she will have the home gym.

She turns up in a very nice car - I assumed she would be a bit poorer to be scouring the giveaways on Freecycle.

She comes in to get the home gym and spots the dining set out in the hallway ready to be re-homed. She asks if its a G-plan, and when I say yes she asks for that too. She hadn't asked for it originally, but I didn't put the name in the Freecycle ad.

Then she says she can give me 20 for it, and I say no, then she says 40 and I say no, so she asks how much do I want for it and her husband can bring the van to pick it up tonight. Im thinking she is likely going to sell it on and tell her that I wanted to help someone in need and she cant have the table or the home gym, she gets a bit stroppy, but leaves.

Then I get an email from the Freecycle group, saying this member is really disappointed and would I reconsider. Im not going to, but just wondered WWYD? Was I totally out of order?

And is this how freecycle is?? A load of freeloaders trying to make some extra cash? Ive offered before, but only stuff that would otherwise be scrapped, this is the only time Ive offered anything with a resale value.

Also had an email from her, saying she will withdraw her complaint if I let her husband collect tonight. Im not really worried that she has my address.

youmaynotlikethis Sat 10-Aug-13 22:40:15

When I put something on free cycle it's because I don't want it so don't care where it goes

kali110 Tue 30-Jul-13 18:50:42

I think you were bu to not give her the home gym, but not the table, she sounds like a right cheeky cow!then to go tell on you? You should have let her have the gym as it was agreed. I cant believe the site contacted you to say she was disappointed! I hope you will be contacting them to say you received threats from her

orangepudding Tue 30-Jul-13 18:38:37

I gave away a childs bike on Freecycle, it was a bit tatty(as I had described in the advert) but perfectly usable.
The woman who collected it didn't look very impressed or even say thanks. I have seen her since as her grandchild attends my childrens school and she just looks straight past me. It really put me off.

Armadale Tue 30-Jul-13 18:04:07

thanks, already taken, I will do so.

silverten Tue 30-Jul-13 17:59:30

OK, but I assumed you wouldn't bother doing that UNLESS you were poor.. surely most people would rather have brand new delivered to your door?

Actually, no, OP. Believe it or not some of us prefer old stuff to the crappy new shit the shops are often crammed with. Depends on what it is, obviously, but there is so much tat about now that simply isn't worth buying. And for some things, I'm not quite sure whether I'd use it enough to justify buying a new one, so trying out a second hand one saves me cash. If it doesn't work for me, I pass it on again. This is one of the reasons I'm not 'poor'- I don't waste money on every little whim that gets marketed at me..

alreadytaken Tue 30-Jul-13 16:17:45

armadale - post a wanted on your freecycle. If you have a history of having donated there may be someone who will offer.

Op I have collected and delivered an item from freecycle for someone without a car, to refuse for the car alone would be unreasonable. I would probably have let her take the gym, I wouldn't have let her have the furniture. I don't think it was unreasonable to send her away if you thought she was a dealer but you had made a contract and in theory I think she could sue you for petrol costs.

Freecycle does seem to have moved on from junk you'd like removed. We've had furniture people have asked for "because they are broke and setting up home" that was not collected because it wasn't in perfect condition.

anklebitersmum Tue 30-Jul-13 16:07:42

MyDarlingClementine I've never seen photos on local freecycle. Maybe it's more common now than five yrs ago? I expected someone local to collect it-potentially in a couple of lifts with an estate car or small van perhaps. It didn't occur to me that someone would be looking to spend money hiring a van to be honest or feel obliged to take it if they didn't like it on sight.

Still, the lady with manners got it. She won it out of the hat with the other half dozen that used them when replying. I'm guessing that's as fair as any other method. grin

Stinkyminkymoo Tue 30-Jul-13 15:57:06

YABU about the home gym, I don't understand why you didn't just give it to her?

YNBU about the other thing, that's not what she came for & you said no she should have left it.

All a bit weird I think.

PomBearArmy Tue 30-Jul-13 15:53:13

I once freecycled a tumbledryer and had so many offers (with sobstories attached) I was overwhelmed. I chose the first one, and recognised the couple when they turned up, they are big car-booters in our town. I went along on Sunday and sure enough, the tumble dryer was there with a £50 sticker on it!

But to be honest I could have sold it myself, I just wanted it gone. That's the only time to freecycle really. If you care about who is going to be taking your stuff away, ebay it instead.

2rebecca Tue 30-Jul-13 15:43:25

With me it isn't that first come first served as I don't have a smart phone so when I have offered stuff I've usually come home to find several replies. Once I'd decided to get rid of stuff I didn't want to hang around for ages though so it usually went to someone who could pick it up fairly soon at a convenient time. I was surprised that a couple of times I said someone could come and collect something and they never got back to me, I wondered if some people had a system of sending an automatic reply to anything offered.

Cravey Tue 30-Jul-13 15:40:24

G plan is worth a fortune if its in good condition. She knows this. And wants to sell it on. Tell her to put a complaint in. You offered her something, she chose what she wanted and that's that.

Armadale Tue 30-Jul-13 15:38:32

I haven't read the whole thread, just the first couple of pages so I might have missed the plot a bit, but wanted to say:

Lots of people seem to think it is strictly first come/first served with freecycle to avoid landfill.

But I'm in a freecycle group and in the rules it asks you specifically NOT to do first come first serve

It is seen as unfair on people who don't have instant access to the internet, eg might only access it at the library every couple of days becuase they can't afford it at home.. so my local freecycle (I'm in south london ) seems to have the idea that it is NOT just avoiding landfill but helping people who need the stuff.

Up until this year ago we gave away a lot of stuff on freecycle. Everyone who came to collect seemed pleased to have the items and we were pleased they were being appreciated. I am not sure I would have wanted to give stuff away for free to people who were just going to sell it on.

A lot of people do use it with the idea of helping others, we always have, and I don't think this is a 'lady bountiful' issue at all....and freecycles rules itself seem to support the idea.

My DH lost his job in Jan and our washing machine broke in March so since then I have been looking on freecycle for one BUT they always go to people who can reply quickly as they can afford smart phones with internet access, which I can't, and it means the people most in need don't get a look in. I think it is better if people use the freecycle rules and actually make a judgement when they have all the replies rather than doing first come, first served.

MikeOxard Tue 30-Jul-13 15:34:45

Haven't you got a local Emmaus? I'm with you about freecycle. Good theory taken advantage of by chancers a lot of the time, which just makes you feel bad about the people who missed out.

ssd Tue 30-Jul-13 15:33:24

don't blame you in the least op, I'd have done the same

2rebecca Tue 30-Jul-13 15:30:04

I got rid of some large granite stones via freecycle and I put in photos of those so people wouldn't have a wasted journey, I'd definitely put in photos of a suite if I was getting rid of it. It sounds as though the OP should have donated stuff to these people www.frn.org.uk/ if she wanted to give her stuff to poorer people only. If I had decent furniture to get rid of and no relatives wanting it I'd give to somewhere like that. I only use freecycle for low value stuff.

AncientCrone Tue 30-Jul-13 15:22:47

Why is selling automatically bad? Perhaps that's how someone's getting food on the table, or are we assuming it's all going on second holidays and flashy jewellery?

And why shouldn't someone ask for a photo of something like a three piece suite?

MyDarlingClementine Tue 30-Jul-13 15:19:41

Ankle biter, for such a large item i am amazed you expect people to go and pay to hire vans etc without some idea whats its like!

most people give pics for large items!

i got a baby grand piano and i was invited to go and see it first before i spent 100 on taking it away and making sure i had space!

I also got a stunning chinese chest, again a photo was supplied, i won it - and when i got there they were still talking to me - as though if i didnt want it seeing it in the flesh, no probs at all...

I would never expect people to come and take away a large suite without seeing it!

2rebecca Tue 30-Jul-13 15:18:16

I've given stuff away on freecycle, generally low value bulky stuff. I have never considered it to be like giving to a charity or the needy, after all I look at freecycle and I'm fairly well off, it's just a good place to look for and get rid of bulky stuff that would be too expensive to post.
I don't think she was unreasonable to offer you money for the table, if I wanted rid of stuff then if one person wants 2 or 3 things it's less hassle for me than having other folk come to look at it.
It sounds as though you should ask charity shops to pick up your stuff if you don't like the first come first served principle of freecycle.
It's supposed to save stuff going into landfill sites, not be a wealth redistribution service.

MyDarlingClementine Tue 30-Jul-13 15:16:26

it works all kinds of ways on FC and I have been using it for years, furnished my house with it and got lots of lovely stuff, and given back lovely stuff too. only once have i had odd woman come to get stuff.

I have had friends get stuff that was literally fit for the tip, and been used by people as a rubbish collection service, i have gone a long way to get stuff only to find wildly optimistic description was given...its all part and parcel.

some stuff i want to get rid of and cant be bothered to go to charity shop, some stuff is more speical and i take more time on the answers for it.

dont be so sanctimonous.

anklebitersmum Tue 30-Jul-13 14:47:19

I've done both ends of freecycle.

Gave away a 'good condition cream, leather 3 piece suite' and couldn't believe the cheek of some people's e-mails to be honest..can I have a picture? Is it old fashioned? Will you deliver it too? etc etc. I mean, it's FREE do you want it or not?

I gave it to the nice lady who asked politely and didn't care what it looked like. We even followed her home with the sofa as it wouldn't all fit in her friends van.

I've also had some lovely items from nice people who were just upgrading their kit. My spare freezer for example.

I think I'd have given her the gym but she'd have whistled for the table. Fancy having the bare-faced to cheek complain when she tried to hawk stuff from your home shock

It's a shame some people spoil things because they have no manners. Ironically they're free too wink

ParsingFancy Tue 30-Jul-13 14:09:01

"You think that people look at the offers purely from an environmental POV"

I do.

I don't think it will save the planet, but it will save a rise in my council tax bills given my area's due to run out of landfill space in the next 10 years.

anchovies Tue 30-Jul-13 13:46:23

I don't care if people sell the stuff I freecycle, or if they are poor or loaded. I do however require some manners! I'd have told her to get screwed same as I automatically delete anyone who emails me with "I will collect it tonight."

MarmaladeTwatkins Tue 30-Jul-13 13:35:24

Who are you addressing, Annabelle?

AnnabelleLee Tue 30-Jul-13 13:34:23

I don't see why you shouldn't. If you are putting something on freecycle, it has no value to you. If it did, you would sell it or use it yourself.
So you get rid of it for free to someone who sees value in it. What does it matter if they want to sell it? You couldn't be arsed to, but you don't want someone else to? I'd call it childish but that would be unfair to children....

MarmaladeTwatkins Tue 30-Jul-13 12:48:17

I cba doing it tbh.

There is rarely anything of interest on my local boards (was on there for ages waiting for someone to chuck out old tiles that I wanted for decorating my garden) and I prefer to get my stock from charity shops/car boots because my profits mean that I can afford to. I wouldn't feel right taking goods for free to sell on. Just me though, I know plenty who would.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now