To think I'm not a bad mum

(65 Posts)
jeanmiguelfangio Mon 29-Jul-13 14:44:41

To start my DD on solids at 5 months?

Ok background- my DD has reflux and is a hungry baby. I have spoke to my dr and HV and both have said it is ok to start solids. She has all three of the NHS criteria, sitting up, swallowing and can pick things up and put them in her mouth. She is a happy baby and we are literally giving her a teaspoon, if that, of fruit and veg a day at the moment as we have just started.

At a mums group today, I was talking to another mum who has done the same, our babies were born on the same day. Another decided we were both wrong and loudly told us how we were wrong and damaging our babies. She said she knows better because we are first time mums and she has 3. Then commented to a friend that just having a baby clearly doesn't make you a good mum.

Now I could be sensitive as have PND but it really upset me. Surely all babies are different and we aren't doing anything to harm our babies, but doing our best. Really knocked my confidence when it isn't exactly at its highest anyway! I'm questioning my decision now and really I know my DD best

mrsjay Tue 30-Jul-13 10:00:33

och my dd is 20 we started weaning at 16 weeks back then with dd who is 5 years younger it was 20 weeks, things have changed but at 5 months it isn't that far off 6 is it just start to wean your baby and bugger what anybody else thinks,

hufflebottom Tue 30-Jul-13 10:00:46

let her get on with it, you're doing great, you've got advice, just ignore her.

dd started solids at 5 months, but that was because she wanted to.

ThePowerof3 Tue 30-Jul-13 10:01:30

What an ignorant and vicious baby, since when does formula feeding 'almost guarantee your baby will die of SIDs' WTAF

mrsjay Tue 30-Jul-13 10:03:14

oh and dont be put of going to your group if you enjoy going this woman is an arse and you need to ignore her and maybe have a word with th e group organiser ,

ShabbyButNotChic Tue 30-Jul-13 10:06:35

Of course yanbu! You know your own child, and if hv etc think they are ready as well then im sure you are doing great smile babies dont follow rule books ffs, and they dont know how old they are! They just know they are starving!

My aunt likes to tell everyone who moans about early weaning that my cousin was weaned at 6 weeks (milk allergy). He is now a 28 year old 6'4 fireman, its family joke that he was a right greedy bugger who couldnt wait to get on the food smile

WireCat Tue 30-Jul-13 10:07:27

Due to feeding problems, my 1st was weaned at 12 weeks! Back then & for dc2 weaning was at 4 months.

For dc3 weaning guide lines were 6 months & tbh he began feeding himself just short of 6 months (this is apparently baby led weaning. In his case it was his refusal to be fed by me!)

It's not like you're forcing a curry down him at a week old so carry on what you're doing x

ThePowerof3 Tue 30-Jul-13 10:09:01

Woman not baby!

WireCat Tue 30-Jul-13 10:15:47

thepowerof3 (I'm following you around the board today!)

That has floored me. Guarentee SIDS. Quite bizarre considering all 3 of mine were formula fed.

There are some utter cunts out there. Fancy saying such an awful thing. I'd love to find that woman and tell her. and punch her

jeanmiguelfangio Tue 30-Jul-13 11:02:13

I think she is one of those who thinks everyone loves her, I really enjoy the group and the other mums have been great and I love chatting and to be honest getting out of the house too!
I know weaning is all about the baby, she was grabbing stuff from our plates too but I'm not confident with BLW at her age but she actually grabs the spoon and feeds herself, she so wants to be a big girl!!! I am excited about weaning and don't want silly women telling me stuff like that
And of course I will keep going, if only to educate you all with her top parenting grin

MiaowTheCat Tue 30-Jul-13 11:23:36

I would be complaining to the group organisers about the SIDS comment to be honest and trying to hey the bitch kicked out for saying stuff like that. No one should ever have to go to a baby group to be told by some loon that their baby is pretty much guaranteed to die, good God!

Currently trying to stop dd1 weaning her sister on a building block- does that constitute baby led weaning?!

IfIonlyhadsomesleep Tue 30-Jul-13 11:23:50

The thing that having three children has taught me is how little I know about children! Weaning when your baby is ready, at six months, give or take (which includes five months as far as I can see) seems fine.

Mumoftwoyoungkids Tue 30-Jul-13 12:14:09

Proportion of babies to die of SIDS in the UK:- 0.036%
Proportion of mothers who mix feed or ff by 6 months:- 99%

Something tells me that maths wasn't her strongest subject at school!

ThePowerof3 Tue 30-Jul-13 13:39:55

Me too wirecat, my 6 yr old FF daughter is alive and well thankfully! Seriously though what poisonous things to say

jeanmiguelfangio Tue 30-Jul-13 16:46:33

Thanks for the stats SIDS is a big worry for everyone I think so knowing its that low is good for me- I'm a worrier

TheRealFellatio Tue 30-Jul-13 19:35:50

Blimey if FF 'almost guarantees' that a baby will die of SIDS then the human race in the western world would have died out long ago! What an utter, utter, scaremongering baseless load of old tosh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now